FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   RUMOR: $75 Exit Row Charge (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/513250-rumor-75-exit-row-charge.html)

AlwaysAA Jan 10, 2006 11:19 pm

RUMOR: $75 Exit Row Charge

One of the FAs mentioned on my flight home this week - that she heard AA was getting ready to roll out a $75 surcharge to book exit row seats.

I laughed and said she was telling funny jokes, but she re-affirmed that they had been told this. Anyone else hear about this? Jon - Is this complete bs? :) I know you know.

Thanks.

IceTrojan Jan 10, 2006 11:22 pm

It better be BS. I love rumors.

If true, this $75 fee better be for non-elites only, and that elites are still allowed to book one travel companion into the exit row without a fee.

This was a rumor over at UA that didn't come to fruition. My argument is that as elites, we get the exit row as a benefit, as well as assume the risk/responsibility of operating that emergency exit should the need arise.

If anything, they should give us a discount :p

206013671 Jan 10, 2006 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
It better be BS. I love rumors.

If true, this $75 fee better be for non-elites only, and that elites are still allowed to book one travel companion into the exit row without a fee.

This was a rumor over at UA that didn't come to fruition. My argument is that as elites, we get the exit row as a benefit, as well as assume the risk/responsibility of operating that emergency exit should the need arise.

If anything, they should give us a discount :p

If this is true and does apply to elites, my February trip to Toronto will be the LAST flight I ever book on AA. :mad: :mad: :mad: I've had it with their crap, and this will be the breaking point. I went out of my way to make elite and one of the main reasons is to book the ER when I can't get the upgrade. Now if they're taking this away, it's BS and I won't put up with it any more.

Time to go back to Delta, maybe.

freeupgrade Jan 10, 2006 11:37 pm

oh, i believe it.

In a recent interview with XXX, AA Senior Mgr. of Customer Satisfaction, XXX stated the following would be implemented on February 1: ("We want to delievr the product/service the customer is looking for, XXXX.... :) :) )

1. Early Deplane Charges. These would be billed to anyone in F or 1st 5 rows of Y. Charge would vary upon destination. OGG will cost a mint... :)
2. Refuse Collection Fee. Every napkin, soda can, fast food bag you hand to FA during flight descent while cabin is preparing for landing will cost $ 1 - after all, you are using their plastic trash bag.
3. American Way Magazine Charge. These will be sold separately at the beginning of the flight in both cabins.
4. Professional Services Fee. Each time you use that call button (for any reason), the FA will be required to collect $2-5, depending on the request. After all, these are professional FAs, and you are taking bthem away from knitting, reading and gossiping loudly in galley with coworkers.
5. Early Preboarding Fee. Y pax may preboard with F for a $20 copay.
6. AA.com Excess Usage Fee. After the 3rd access each month, each subsequent login will require a $10 copay. After all, AA has to pay IT support to maintain the website.

:) :) :) :) :)

justageek Jan 10, 2006 11:37 pm

Assuming the rumor is true (big assumption here)...

It doesn't really matter whether elites are exempted from the charge. There are only a handful of exit row seats, so if this program is popular, there won't be any exit row seats left for the elites to get for free once the regular pax buy their exit-row tickets!

freeupgrade Jan 10, 2006 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by justageek

It doesn't really matter whether elites are exempted from the charge. There are only a handful of exit row seats, so if this program is popular, there won't be any exit row seats left for the elites to get for free once the regular pax buy their exit-row tickets!

oh, i believe it. apparently you have missed the very recent meal cutbacks messages...

Mateo4321 Jan 10, 2006 11:39 pm

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Where do I fly to next? UA?

IceTrojan Jan 10, 2006 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by justageek

Which further alienates the elites. Horrible horrible idea. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

freeupgrade Jan 10, 2006 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by Mateo4321
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Where do I fly to next? UA?

yep. for a good laugh, see my post above with some upcoming fees...

:) :)

AlwaysAA Jan 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Clarification..

I'm not trying to upset anyone, but I am looking for someone to just confirm this or tell me an FA was mis-informed.

I would ask Jon directly in PM - but he doesn't reply to me anymore. So I figured asking in public maybe the only way to find out! :)

freeupgrade Jan 10, 2006 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Which further alienates the elites. Horrible horrible idea. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

imagine that - gee, i'm shocked.... :)

sure as heck doesn't seem to matter to anyone at AA these days.

freeupgrade Jan 10, 2006 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysAA
I'm not trying to upset anyone, but I am looking for someone to just confirm this or tell me an FA was mis-informed.

I would ask Jon directly in PM - but he doesn't reply to me anymore. So I figured asking in public maybe the only way to find out! :)

call EXP desk and see if anyone there has heard about it - seriously (all kidding aside), i do believe it.

just look at how AA has embarassed themselves recently re: transcon J and F cutbacks, as well as HNL cutback.

Mateo4321 Jan 10, 2006 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by freeupgrade
oh, i believe it.

In a recent interview with XXX, AA Senior Mgr. of Customer Satisfaction, XXX stated the following would be implemented on February 1: ("We want to delievr the product/service the customer is looking for, XXXX.... :) :) )

1. Early Deplane Charges. These would be billed to anyone in F or 1st 5 rows of Y. Charge would vary upon destination. OGG will cost a mint... :)
2. Refuse Collection Fee. Every napkin, soda can, fast food bag you hand to FA during flight descent while cabin is preparing for landing will cost $ 1 - after all, you are using their plastic trash bag.
3. American Way Magazine Charge. These will be sold separately at the beginning of the flight in both cabins.
4. Professional Services Fee. Each time you use that call button (for any reason), the FA will be required to collect $2-5, depending on the request. After all, these are professional FAs, and you are taking bthem away from knitting, reading and gossiping loudly in galley with coworkers.
5. Early Preboarding Fee. Y pax may preboard with F for a $20 copay.
6. AA.com Excess Usage Fee. After the 3rd access each month, each subsequent login will require a $10 copay. After all, AA has to pay IT support to maintain the website.

:) :) :) :) :)

haha!

:)

Where is that thread where people were arguing over which nationalities did boarding the worst? :p

pinniped Jan 11, 2006 12:00 am

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this one is BS.

The airline should be focused on ensuring that the occupants of that row are qualified to operate the exit door. JMHO...

andrzej Jan 11, 2006 12:07 am

If that rumor is true, and it is very possible, just like the upgrades for sale, I believe the exit row seats will be sold to the general public at the airport only. So chill out folks, AA is just looking for few extra $s, but it won't effect the elites, as long as you don't wait until the last minute.