Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage is 25 years old! Any contests like five years ago (20 for 20, top 20k)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage is 25 years old! Any contests like five years ago (20 for 20, top 20k)?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2006, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Actually, I think the upcoming 25/25 promo will be potentially pretty exciting, innovative and interesting.. lots of use of the number 25, possibly some random awards based on same, other random stuff but also stuff that can be planned for, etc. I think there will be some good stuff for the serious and casual fan.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 4:52 pm
LRD

Programs: AA 6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
I didn't see this link or this link posted... Nothing concrete - yet.

Last edited by LRD; Feb 1, 2006 at 5:42 pm
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier, American Airlines
I think I remember a post here stating when the program started, membership accounts were just seven numbers. Mine, issued in July of 1985, is the letter "V" followed by six numbers. Anyone here just have numbers, and also what's your member since date?
Old Jan 8, 2006, 1:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by burgerwars
Anyone here just have numbers, and also what's your member since date?
Might want to check this previous thread rather than tag those numbers onto this one:

When did AAdvantage numbers start using letters
Old Jan 8, 2006, 3:36 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
Promos ^
Contests

I think contests are a waste of time. You don't know if you'll win anything, unlike promos where your fate is more in your own hands.

That said, I'm hoping AA refrains from any new promos until I finish the current West Coast and Denver offers.

Couldn't agree more! Have absolutely no interest in contests and driven by promos!
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Oh, please no. I used every rental car company and seemed to stay at every hotel brand in Minneapolis to get my 20 partners. I don't want to do that again....but I would.
The 20/20 promo was great - - like a big treasure hunt. IIRC, I was able to complete the promo, for myself and a bunch of family and friends, without ever leaving the keyboard. I would love to see a 25/25, but wouldn't count on it.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cactuspete
The 20/20 promo was great - - like a big treasure hunt. IIRC, I was able to complete the promo, for myself and a bunch of family and friends, without ever leaving the keyboard. I would love to see a 25/25, but wouldn't count on it.
I feel very stongly that we will see a 25/25 promo:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514252
Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I feel very stongly that we will see a 25/25 promo:
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514252
Any basis for this, or is it just a feeling? I hope that you are correct, but ther doesn't seem to be nearly as many easy non-flight mileage-earning deals there were 5 years ago.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cactuspete
Any basis for this, or is it just a feeling? I hope that you are correct, but ther doesn't seem to be nearly as many easy non-flight mileage-earning deals there were 5 years ago.
It's definitely "more than a feeling" The promo will be taking place, I believe some of the stuff will be very compelling indeed but I'd also have to agree with your gut feeling that nothin' is as generous as 5 (or even 3) years ago AAdvantage-wise-- and I assume this will be no exception. A lot of 25-themed stuff.
Old Jan 13, 2006, 2:56 pm
Suspended

till I see Marianne walk away

Originally Posted by JonNYC
It's definitely "more than a feeling"

I begin dreaming.

Old Jan 13, 2006, 4:09 pm

You must be kidding! The only promotion going on right now is how to devalue Aadvantage incrementally, one nickle at a time!!!
Old Jan 16, 2006, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
Welcome to American Airlines-Here's to 25 More!

The January 15, 2006 issue of American Way has a page touting the 25th anniversary of the AAdvantage program. It claims that there is 50 million Aadvantage members. Also states that 129 billion miles were redeemed last year, representing four million awards. Tows the party line on how wonderful the program is, but no news about any contests/promotions.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by rootsearcher
The January 15, 2006 issue of American Way has a page touting the 25th anniversary of the AAdvantage program. It claims that there is 50 million Aadvantage members. Also states that 129 billion miles were redeemed last year, representing four million awards. Tows the party line on how wonderful the program is, but no news about any contests/promotions.
"We're so successful and awesome, we don't NEED no stinkin' promos "
Old Jan 17, 2006, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
News from aa.com on 25th anniversary

The AAdvantage Program Celebrates 25 Years

Happy 25th Anniversary to the AAdvantage Program
Thanks to our loyal members, American Airlines is celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the AAdvantage program this year! We launched the world's first frequent flyer program in 1981 with just under 300,000 members. The AAdvantage program may have been the first of its kind, but it's been a quarter century of innovation and enhancement that have truly made it the airline industry's largest and most robust travel awards program. Now 25 years later, the program has more than 50 million members, earning miles with more than 1,500 companies!

Throughout 2006, we're planning several promotions and events to celebrate this milestone and extend our sincere appreciation to our members for the program's continued success.

Sign up for email and be among the first to hear of our special promotions - you won't want to miss this celebration!

Also, visit the AAdvantage Bonus Offers section of AA.com frequently for additional AAdvantage Special Offers.

Happy 25th Anniversary to the AAdvantage program! And many thanks to you, our loyal member for being such an important part of the program's success - we're glad you came along for the ride!

Link to announcement:
http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewPromotions.jhtml

Last edited by rootsearcher; Jan 17, 2006 at 4:48 pm
Old Jan 17, 2006, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
Was it the divine miss M or Joan Rivers who said "You're laughing four jokes back"?
See post #17

Originally Posted by rootsearcher
The AAdvantage Program Celebrates 25 Years

Happy 25th Anniversary to the AAdvantage Program
Thanks to our loyal members, American Airlines is celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the AAdvantage program this year! We launched the world's first frequent flyer program in 1981 with just under 300,000 members. The AAdvantage program may have been the first of its kind, but it's been a quarter century of innovation and enhancement that have truly made it the airline industry's largest and most robust travel awards program. Now 25 years later, the program has more than 50 million members, earning miles with more than 1,500 companies!

Throughout 2006, we're planning several promotions and events to celebrate this milestone and extend our sincere appreciation to our members for the program's continued success.

Sign up for email and be among the first to hear of our special promotions - you won't want to miss this celebration!

Also, visit the AAdvantage Bonus Offers section of AA.com frequently for additional AAdvantage Special Offers.

Happy 25th Anniversary to the AAdvantage program! And many thanks to you, our loyal member for being such an important part of the program's success - we're glad you came along for the ride!

Link to announcement:
http://www.aa.com/apps/netSAAver/ViewPromotions.jhtml

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.