Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2009, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dave8624
Ok, so I changed my trip a little, and on the OneWorld Itin Planner Website, it says I cannot cross the atlantic twice, is this true?
A OneWorld paid around-the-world ticket is not the same thing as a OneWorld award using AA miles.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 5:52 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, CO Silver, AAdavantage, USAIR
ok, so that means there is less restrictions? i am using my miles, so then i should be fine? thanks.
Old Jun 25, 2009, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LRD
FWIW:

I've been researching two awards, both with several RJ flights. But, when attempting to book these flight, the agents can't find seats even though ba.com shows ample award inventory.

With each itinerary, I was able to easily book my desired flights on the third or fourth call to the EXP desk. When I pressed the agents on how/why they could do what their colleagues could not, they said they knew that when booking some partners (not just RJ) they needed to use an older system. One agent referred to this system as "QUICKRES". (I don't know if this is a proper system name or just the agent's pet name for an old system.)

YMMV.
Thanks for the post. I am also having difficulty with RJ flights when ba.com shows lots of availability.

Does this mean that if agents use "QUICKRES," they will be able to see the availability (e.g. RJ)?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 12:49 pm
LRD

Programs: AA 6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ilovetofly
Thanks for the post. I am also having difficulty with RJ flights when ba.com shows lots of availability.

Does this mean that if agents use "QUICKRES," they will be able to see the availability (e.g. RJ)?
Sorta. QUICKRES ıs an older system, and one of my 'good' agents made a comment that newer agents never learned (suffıcıently?) QUICKRES. So, my hunch ıs that -- when pressed -- newer agents go off to consult wıth a supervısor and/or more experıenced agents ın how to see (and grab) award ınventory vıa QUICKRES.

Sınce I posted what I learned about QUICKRES, I have needed to make several changes to my orıgınal bookıngs and each tıme I have encountered the followıng pattern:

'No, sır. No availability.'

I say, 'But I can get that award seat wıth my BA or QF mıles. Are you sure there's nothıng available through QUICKRES?'

'Can you please hold on, Mr. LRD?' <ten mınutes on hold...> 'Yes, sır. I have those flıghts booked for you!'
Old Jun 25, 2009, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SW, Jetblue
Hi - I'm new.

I believe I've read all the rules pertaining to OW using AA awards and I'm embarrassed to say that I'm still learning the airport codes. Your advice would be really appreciated. Finally after 3 years, we are planning our honeymoon and quiting our jobs - all at once!
1.We have 275K saved up for 2 tix in Business and are flexible within a week either way of the dates below. We would like to:
2. depart SFO on 5/3/10
3. Return to SFO on 8/12/10
4. visit ams and dps for sure. Sri Lanka would be next on the wish list.

Questions: Where else could we go/recommeneded within 20K miles?
Am I correct that I can not book this before 8/11/09 (-5 days on hold) because of the 1 year rule? Waiting that long, is it likely that we will get our itinerary in Business outbound on May 3? To get a Cathay flight to AMS, would it work to fly SFO to toronto on AA and from Toronto to AMS on Cathay? How I wish I could just sit down with one of you smarty pants and have you help me work out a trip and be there on another line when I call an agent to book (I'm terrified of them). If you live in the SF Bay Area, I would take you out for the best lunch or give you our first born (but she's over in Ghana doing relief work and may be reluctant). If you want to contact me directly, I'm at [email protected]. Thanks so much!!!!! Lauren
Old Jun 25, 2009, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by LRD
Sorta. QUICKRES ıs an older system, and one of my 'good' agents made a comment that newer agents never learned (suffıcıently?) QUICKRES. So, my hunch ıs that -- when pressed -- newer agents go off to consult wıth a supervısor and/or more experıenced agents ın how to see (and grab) award ınventory vıa QUICKRES.

Sınce I posted what I learned about QUICKRES, I have needed to make several changes to my orıgınal bookıngs and each tıme I have encountered the followıng pattern:

'No, sır. No availability.'

I say, 'But I can get that award seat wıth my BA or QF mıles. Are you sure there's nothıng available through QUICKRES?'

'Can you please hold on, Mr. LRD?' <ten mınutes on hold...> 'Yes, sır. I have those flıghts booked for you!'
Thanks. Have called three agents and none worked for me. One sounded offended when I asked about QUICKRES. One said that it is the same with the new system. It is just frustrating to see that BA shows wide availability and AA sees none.

One more question - I know that changing of routing is not allowed once ticketed.

Is change of co-terminals allowed?
Old Jun 25, 2009, 9:35 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by laburner
Questions: Where else could we go/recommeneded within 20K miles?
May be a dumb question but have you used the interactive map on oneworld.com? I find it very useful to find routings easily, and then you can see what is possible. Unfortunately it doesn't use airport codes so it does not help you learn them!

http://www.innovata-llc.com/onw/default.asp?show=MAP

Originally Posted by laburner
Am I correct that I can not book this before 8/11/09 (-5 days on hold) because of the 1 year rule? Waiting that long, is it likely that we will get our itinerary in Business outbound on May 3?
I don't know for certain about when you can start booking, but I can tell you from my experience I have found it very easy to find J (business class) award availability for my recent ticket that is starting just 8 weeks from now. I think you'll be OK as long as you have a couple days flexibility.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 5:38 am
LRD

Thanks. Have called three agents and none worked for me. One sounded offended when I asked about QUICKRES. One said that it is the same with the new system. It is just frustrating to see that BA shows wide availability and AA sees none.

One more question - I know that changing of routing is not allowed once ticketed.

Is change of co-terminals allowed?
Sorry you were not successful.

With the current system, called ACORN (aka "Direct Access"), the agent sees inventory... tap tap tap, and presto! all requested segments get instant confirmation.

With QUICKRES, I believe the agent must wait on the remote system to send back confirmation. (Just guessing... but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the confirmation required a real live human on the remote system to complete the transaction.) In either case, agents might loathe working in this system for no other reason than it makes their call-completion stats go to hell.

I am afraid that I cannot answer your question on co-terms.

Last edited by LRD; Jul 23, 2009 at 8:23 am
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by LRD

With the current system, called Direct Access, the agent sees inventory... tap tap tap, and presto! all requested segments get instant confirmation.

With QUICKRES, an agent must wait on the remote system to send back confirmation. Just guessing... but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the confirmation required a real live human to complete the transaction. In either case, agents might loathe working in this system for no other reason than it makes their call-completion stats go to hell.

I am afraid that I cannot answer your question on co-terms.
Thanks, LRD. That is probably the case. I will just have to keep calling.

Regarding change of co-terminals, AA said no. I did some search on FT, it is the same - no.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 4:24 pm

Surface sector - where does the stopover count?

If I do the following itinerary how do AA count the MEL//SYD surface sector - a stop in MEL, a stop in SYD or a stop in both. Important because I want a stopover in SYD on the second pass.

LAX-MEL//SYD-JNB-SYD-LAX
Old Jun 26, 2009, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
If I do the following itinerary how do AA count the MEL//SYD surface sector - a stop in MEL, a stop in SYD or a stop in both. Important because I want a stopover in SYD on the second pass.

LAX-MEL//SYD-JNB-SYD-LAX
It would be counted as an open jaw and a stopover in SYD. You can only have one stopover in a city.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by LRD

With the current system, called Direct Access, the agent sees inventory... tap tap tap, and presto! all requested segments get instant confirmation.

With QUICKRES, an agent must wait on the remote system to send back confirmation. Just guessing... but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the confirmation required a real live human to complete the transaction. In either case, agents might loathe working in this system for no other reason than it makes their call-completion stats go to hell.
After calling and speaking to 7 agents, RJ availability showed up. I think the availability was definitely there as shown on BA.com.

Some agents could not see them but some could.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:14 pm
LRD

Some agents could not see them but some could.
Congrats!

What little I learned about this process came about when I asked one of the agents why she could see what her colleagues could not.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by LRD
Congrats!

What little I learned about this process came about when I asked one of the agents why she could see what her colleagues could not.

Thanks, LRD and also to your sharing of what you have learned. How I wish AA has a website like BA for checking OW partners' availability.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 11:32 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
What is the penalty for mileage redeposit if you cancel an award itinerary without any travel?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.