Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coke and Pepsi Provisioning

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2005, 4:17 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
I actually much prefer Pepsi... the bitterness in regular Coke is not to my liking. Cherry/Vanilla/Lime Coke, however, tastes quite good.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by grouse
Doesn't anyone like Pepsi products more? About the only time I'll ever drink them is when they're forced down my throat by single-source agreements with restaurants or the like. Is that the only reason people everyone else ever drinks Pepsi?
There are several US metro areas where Pepsi outsells Coke, so you could say that there are at least some whole cities that prefer Pepsi. The areas I seem to recall are Chicago, Detroit, Denver, St. Louis and a few others. It's a tough, brutal fight between the two. Gotta love it!
Old Apr 24, 2005, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, HH expired!, "Good Kid Club" (Silver)
Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Diet Coke contains 46 mg of caffeine per 12-ounce can, while Diet Pepsi has only 36 mg. So to this caffeine addict, there's a noticeable difference.
Never knew that. I buy whichever's on sale at the store, and I ask for a "DP or DC" and am happy with whichever.

I can tell them apart from the taste - I just don't particularly care. So if I get the last DC on a flight with you, let me know & I'll trade for your DP.

As far as mixers go, I care even less when a kick is added! (More of a Ginger Ale guy anyway.)

Can't believe the uproar on this topic. -Y'all are gonna make AA want to start charging $1 for Coke products!

-KP
Old Apr 24, 2005, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by grouse
Doesn't anyone like Pepsi products more? About the only time I'll ever drink them is when they're forced down my throat by single-source agreements with restaurants or the like. Is that the only reason people everyone else ever drinks Pepsi?
I go both ways...

Coke over Pepsi
Diet Pepsi over Diet Coke (but I drink both more than anything else)
7 Up over Sprite
Diet Sprite over whatever

Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
There are several US metro areas where Pepsi outsells Coke, so you could say that there are at least some whole cities that prefer Pepsi. The areas I seem to recall are Chicago, Detroit, Denver, St. Louis and a few others. It's a tough, brutal fight between the two. Gotta love it!

F/A advisory states provisioning is 50/50. Also, PepsiCo spends over 30,000,000 dollars on AA every year while Coke spends about 7,000,000. AA made a business decision which most pax could probably care less about.

Internet tells me market share excluding restaurants is about dead even.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
Originally Posted by dspringer28
I go both ways...

Really?!?!
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bbkenney
Arrgghhh!!! They're at it again. Why would an airline based in Dallas with a principal hub in Chicago.....have anything BUT Coke? Because Pepsi is 1/8th of a cent less? And t his will save them from bankruptcy?
Keep the Coke at a high level....please.

I'm an inclusive kind of guy...lay on some Pepsi on the NY flights....I want everyone to be happy. But DON"T TAKE AWAY MY COKE !!! "Rum & Pepsi"? Aggggggggg. And what is Pepsi's offering in the 7up type category?

Maybe AA could get Royal Crown or Cragmont even cheaper. Maybe Moon Pies could replace uncooked mushroom pizzas.

Truthfully, I think its just a scam so we bring our own on board.

And speaking of the uncooked, awful pizzas, branded "UNO" (I cant find these on the menu at Uno). Theres a lot of people, me included, where a nice salad and soup would be the deal, especially if there was a choice or two of dressing.
For heaven's sake, AA has had both Pepsi and Coke for years. What we are talking about here is the allocation of Pepsi and Coke. I prefer Diet Pepsi. Diet Coke tastes like bath water with artificial sweetner.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Two points of information:

1. AA has served Coca Cola products "for years." It has and hopefully will continue to be a hallmark of AA's beverage service. Pepsi products were not added until the late 90s. This change took place after some serious pressure from Pepsi/FritoLay who, as noted earlier, spend some serious AA dollars.

2. "DP" means Dr. Pepper to lot of folks, especially those who live in Texas. I don't drink it but it is religion to a lot of people.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dayone
"DP" means Dr. Pepper to lot of folks
Among other things.. .. ..
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA MM, SPG Plat., HHonors GLD, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ja_user
If Coke goes, what do you mix your drinks with? Rum and Pepsi? Jack and Pepsi? I don't think so......
Guess my rum & Coke will be more rum ^
Old Apr 24, 2005, 8:41 pm

Whenever the beverage cart gets to my exit row, I notice Coke/Diet Coke is always nearly gone. Then about 15 cans of stuff no one drinks on the bottom tray. Geez, Walmart can track everything customers buy in their stores. You'd think AA could count unconsumed cans.

Mess with pillows, blankets, but leave my soft drink alone. It's the one thing I can expect to go right on my flight.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:28 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Pleez, pleez don't eliminate GingerAle. For medical reasons, I can't drink Pepsi (or anything else caffinated for that matter).

Am stuck in Exit Row tomorrow DFW-BDL and am praying for a can of gingerale to get me thru it... (that and my vicodin, combined with Bose QC2's should help)...
Old Apr 24, 2005, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
I'm always amazed at how people can drink Club Soda. I mean, if there is ever a spill like coffee or tomato or bloody mary mix, Club Soda gets the stain out....and people drink it.

Ginger Ale is good to get rid of gas too....
Old Apr 25, 2005, 1:16 am

We now have Mountain Dew on Eagle flights....for any of you caffeine addicts!
Old Apr 25, 2005, 2:40 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
I'm always amazed at how people can drink Club Soda. I mean, if there is ever a spill like coffee or tomato or bloody mary mix, Club Soda gets the stain out....and people drink it.

Ginger Ale is good to get rid of gas too....
Club soda is the closest thing I can get to sparkling water on AA. However, perhaps I should start drinking ginger ale exclusively in light of this info ....but can I get it without all the sugar?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.