Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold/Platinum Challenge sanity check please!?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:40 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Truly
Very good point! I don't actually expect to do much more transatlantic/premium-class travel this year... so far only two more trips are planned - this one and a trip to Rome (in Coach) in May. So I doubt I'll requalify unless things change significantly at work. I suppose it can't hurt to focus on one airline though just in case. And, I will get the benefit of the FF mileage bonuses every time I fly AA. Even if it does mean I have to sit in traffic....

- Truly
And don't forget that you earn AA Q-Ps on other (than BA) OW carriers over the pond. EI, AY and IB have transatlantic service from JFK, and while the creature comforts may not be of the first (or even second) tier, EI often has very good J-cabin prices, and plenty of connections to the continent at SNN or DUB. And who knows, maybe one of these days CX will start transatlantic service, the subject of considerable speculation.

If you like recreational travel, then you might put one other idea into RAM - some OW RTW prices are way cheaper if bought in Europe than in N. America. A business class RTW (<$5K in a couple of countries) obviously would get you to Plat renewal without heavy breathing; depending on other (non RTW) travel you might be able to get there on a coach RTW (around $2200) ex-GB or some other European countries. (Remember fractional Q-pts coverage in coach on some carriers.) The benefits of RTWs bought outside N. America include a fair amount of travel within N. America (6 segments, only one a transcon) that may be useful in your work too. Yes, you would eventually (within a year) get back to the origin point the long way around, but that's part of the intrigue.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Silver, *Wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by tazi
Make sure they gave you the 3635 miles towards upgrades. They screwed up on my recent challenge and I had to call them to have it added.
Dumb newbie question (apologies in advance!) - how do I know how many upgrade coupons I have accumulated?

- Truly
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:17 pm

Dumb newbie question (apologies in advance!) - how do I know how many upgrade coupons I have accumulated?
Your online statement has sections entitled "Miles Towards Gold/Platinum/Executive Platinum Upgrades," which notes now many miles you've accumulated towards your 10k miles/4 upgrade quota, and "Upgrade Account Balance," which states how many 500-mile upgrades you have in your account.

Mike
Old Apr 1, 2005, 8:49 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!

- Truly
What nako said

Which leg of the trip did you qualify on? You should have at least 3635 miles towards upgrades right now. Once that number gets to 10,000 your upgrade balance will show 4.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Silver, *Wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by tazi
What nako said

Which leg of the trip did you qualify on? You should have at least 3635 miles towards upgrades right now. Once that number gets to 10,000 your upgrade balance will show 4.
Thanks guys, you are exactly right. I qualified on the second leg so I have 3635 miles toward upgrades. So by the time I complete my second RT I will have 10,000 and will get the 4 upgrade coupons. Then I guess I'll need to figure out how to use them. One step at a time!

- Truly, AA Platinum Newbie
Old Apr 1, 2005, 9:08 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Thanks guys, you are exactly right. I qualified on the second leg so I have 3635 miles toward upgrades. So by the time I complete my second RT I will have 10,000 and will get the 4 upgrade coupons. Then I guess I'll need to figure out how to use them. One step at a time!

- Truly, AA Platinum Newbie
Using them is the fun part I never seem to have enough though and end up buying more.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 11:19 am

Programs: 1MM, AA Plat, IC Gold Ambassador, HHonors, etc.
Plat Challenge/counting on fingers and toes

I'm a bit bleary eyed with some recent travel and hours - and I need some help counting miles as I've run out of fingers and toes [so please bear with me]. Currently have Gold status.

Platinum challenge started 3/16
LGA/FLL 3/19-25 - 2152 + 538 gld bns = 2690 [already in the bank]
LGA/DFW/BUR [upcoming] - 5240 + 1310 gld bns = 6550 [correct math?]
HPN/ORD/IND [upcoming] - 2476 + 457 gld bns = 2933 [correct math?]
Total miles = 12173 to complete platinum challenge

Are my numbers correct or are my bourbon brain cells kicking in big time?

[and, in theory, should I hit platinum before the return IND/ORD/HPN flight? Not that it will show up in the system on time - or really matter on an RJ]

Thanks for helping me out!

Cheerz!
Tracy

Last edited by divemaster; Apr 1, 2005 at 11:31 am
Old Apr 1, 2005, 11:31 am

Programs: AA PLT (Ex-EXP) .7MM, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by divemaster
Platinum challenge started 3/16
LGA/FLL 3/19-25 - 2152 + 538 gld bns = 2690 [already in the bank]
LGA/DFW/BUR 4/19-25 - 5240 + 1310 gld bns = 6550 [correct math?]
HPN/ORD/IND 5/3-8 - 2476 + 457 gld bns = 2933 [correct math?]
Total miles = 12173 to complete platinum challenge
Your bonuses won't count toward status. Q-points only. Assuming you weren't on deep discount fares (.5 Q-Pts/Mi) you should have:

2152 + 5240 + 2476 = 9868 Q-Pts.

So close - you'll get it on the next flight!

Note: If you upgrade one or more of these flights, the AA computer might screw up and give you the extra Q points. Wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited by AAND; Apr 1, 2005 at 11:43 am Reason: Addl. info
Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:19 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Originally Posted by AAND
Your bonuses won't count toward status. Q-points only. Assuming you weren't on deep discount fares (.5 Q-Pts/Mi) you should have:

2152 + 5240 + 2476 = 9868 Q-Pts.

So close - you'll get it on the next flight!

Note: If you upgrade one or more of these flights, the AA computer might screw up and give you the extra Q points. Wouldn't be the first time.
However if any of the previous or planned flights were in .5 QP/Mi classes, you'll definitely need to upgrade one or more of the remaining RTs to get there. If all were at .5 pts, you'd be sitting (if I counted right) at just under 6000 q-pts at the end. Remember minimum 500 q-pts, even on short hops like IND-ORD. However, if you u/g short flights, you do not get 500 x 1.5 = 750, only 500 until the actual miles x 1.5 > 500 (i.e., 334 miles earns 501 q-pts, 333 just gets 500.)
Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:34 pm

Originally, I was going with the 9868 number. When the LGA/FLL flight posted as follows, I started to question my own math:
YTD Elite Qualifying Points: 2,690
YTD Elite Qualifying Miles: 2,152

Yes, we upgraded on the LGA/FLL flight. And the upgrades have been requested for the LGA/DFW/BUR trip [though I doubt they'll go through]. The HPN/ORD/IND trip is [I think] booked in Y because of HPN.

On my last challenge, I thought I would hit elite on a return leg from LAX, but was very suprised that I was already elite when I checked in. [which is why I'm not depending on my own math skills right now]

Thanks, in advance, for everyone's help. I'd hate to fall 132 miles short without realizing it.

Cheerz!
Tracy
Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:11 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Originally Posted by divemaster
Originally, I was going with the 9868 number. When the LGA/FLL flight posted as follows, I started to question my own math:
YTD Elite Qualifying Points: 2,690
YTD Elite Qualifying Miles: 2,152

Yes, we upgraded on the LGA/FLL flight. And the upgrades have been requested for the LGA/DFW/BUR trip [though I doubt they'll go through]. The HPN/ORD/IND trip is [I think] booked in Y because of HPN.

On my last challenge, I thought I would hit elite on a return leg from LAX, but was very suprised that I was already elite when I checked in. [which is why I'm not depending on my own math skills right now]

Thanks, in advance, for everyone's help. I'd hate to fall 132 miles short without realizing it.

Cheerz!
Tracy
Not trying to be pedantic or a jerk, but do you mean paid u/gs or stickers? You'll only get q-pts according to the paid fare class, not the u/g.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:24 pm

stickers
Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Not trying to be pedantic or a jerk, but do you mean paid u/gs or stickers? You'll only get q-pts according to the paid fare class, not the u/g.
As has been noted on several occasions in this forum, this is not always the case. There are occasions where Q-points have been granted based on the upgraded fare class, and not the original fare class.

IIRC, it has more commonly happened when miles have been used to upgrade, as opposed to stickers.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.