Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gold/Platinum Challenge sanity check please!?!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver

In Business Class, you do earn 1.5 points per EQM (Elite-Qualifying Miles) and you will earn a 25% class-of-service bonus (non EQ) and when you become Platinum, even on the qualifying flight, 100% Platinum bonus (non-EQ) miles. The Challenge, as you have implied, is all about EQP (points) and not miles, earned within a ninety day period of beginning your Challenge.

Yeah, this is verbose - but IMO it helps to strategize once one has a goal, so one can maximise it. Good luck!
When I got my Plat I didn't get 100% bonus miles on my last leg (6,500 miles) just the gold bonus (was already gold)
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hmm. I think that might have been an error on AA's part - AA usually assigns the miles due for the status earned whilst on the flight AFAIK.

Originally Posted by holmedown
When I got my Plat I didn't get 100% bonus miles on my last leg (6,500 miles) just the gold bonus (was already gold)
Old Mar 16, 2005, 9:49 pm

Programs: US Gold Pref., *A Gold, AA Gold, AAA
Originally Posted by Truly
Thanks all. One more question - if I want to sign up for the Challenge effective March 16, do I have to call before March 16 (because that is today!) or can I call tomorrow?

- Jennifer

As long as you sign up before the date of the flight, you are fine. If you call tomorrow, you can still sign up to begin the challenge as of Mar. 16, however, if you had taken a flight on Mar. 16, it would not count towards the challenge. The key, though, is to have signed up before you leave on the trip. When you call, they will give you the choice of Mar. 16 and April 1, at least that's what happened to me.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAND
Who ever said they did? And let's assume she's flying DFW-CDG (4,948) instead, since you kindly point out that she doesn't mention it. That would give her 9,896 miles toward upgrades on her return... if she signed up for both challenges (making GLD status post on the way over and thereby counting those BIS miles toward upgrades), which is exactly what I said. Let's all try to read posts before we criticize too openly - a simple "I think it actually works this way" would have done nicely, and in this case the reply is not even applicable.
Did you even read what you wrote?
By signing up for both, you would have your first set of 4 stickers upon returning to the US.
Nothing like a little self-contradiction. You implied that bonus miles count toward elite upgrades, since in your earlier post you made the above statement. Even if that is not what you meant, I made the correction that she would not have her 4 upgrades after the first round trip as you stated. Unless of course she connects from somewhere further west than DFW, but no mention is made of any connecting flights.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HH Silver, *Wood Gold, Marriott Silver
Update

Hello all,

For those interested, I am indeed flying from JFK.

Anyway - I decided to sign up for the challenge yesterday. The CSR told me that it is not possible to register for both challenges at once. He did say I could sign up for the Gold challenge and then sign up for the Platinum challenge once I completed Gold, but I thought that was too risky and decided to just skip to Platinum.

Honestly I just didn't feel like taking the time to call back and try for a less strict CSR ... I'm sure I will regret this at some point when I realize how many miles I gave up, but oh well.

Thanks again for all your help everyone. I am really looking forward to having some status! (especially after flying Continental about 20 times last year and not getting anything, it's amazing to me that I'm going to get AA Plat. after only one RT!)

- Truly
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:07 am

Congratulations.

For what it's worth, the GLD challenge would be worth 25% of 3635 miles (JFK-CDG) or about 900 miles. Not really worth a tremendous fuss. As mentioned in earlier posts, you should get the PLT bonus of 100% of 3635 for the return leg on which you make PLT.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:39 am

Programs: AA PLT (Ex-EXP) .7MM, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Nothing like a little self-contradiction. You implied that bonus miles count toward elite upgrades, since in your earlier post you made the above statement. Even if that is not what you meant, I made the correction that she would not have her 4 upgrades after the first round trip as you stated. Unless of course she connects from somewhere further west than DFW, but no mention is made of any connecting flights.
Well, originally we didn't even discuss how many miles... it was more of a rough estimate of about 5,000 miles from the U.S. to Paris (OK, this is high for JFK, but she didn't say until recently). In any case, she would have been much closer to the upgrades by signing up for both. This is a silly thing to argue about IMO... the tone of your post was unnecessary though.
Old Mar 17, 2005, 11:42 am

Programs: AA PLT (Ex-EXP) .7MM, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC
The CSR told me that it is not possible to register for both challenges at once. He did say I could sign up for the Gold challenge and then sign up for the Platinum challenge once I completed Gold, but I thought that was too risky and decided to just skip to Platinum.
Just FYI, I think the standard procedure is to call and sign up for one, then call again until you get somebody willing to sign you up for the other. Some people have gotten both at once, but I think that's more rare. So, point being, if you decide you still want to do GLD too, just call back and ask for it. They won't cancel your PLT challenge.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Update

Hello all,

It's official, I am now Platinum! Thank you everyone for all your help. I am so excited I don't know what to do with myself.

For those of you who track such things, here is what hit my account:

03/25/05 PLT CHALLENGE BONUS-REG MEMBER 0 3,635 3,635
03/25/05 AMERICAN AIRLINES 121 C CDG JFK 3,635 909 4,544
03/19/05 AMERICAN AIRLINES 120 C JFK CDG 3,635 909 4,544

I believe the 909 miles are the 25% business class bonus, and obviously I got the 100% bonus on completing the plat. challenge. I didn't do the Gold challenge.

I also have a question for the experts. I need to go to CDG again and I'd really prefer to fly out of EWR, which would mean Delta or Continental. I have no status with them but I'd be flying bus. class, so I would get the bus class checkin, priority security line, and use of lounge. In other words the only benefit I can think of for going AA again is that I'd earn some of those upgrade stickers. The downside is I'd have to fly out of JFK and I live 15mn from EWR. Am I forgetting anything? Are those upgrade stickers worth schlepping across Manhattan for?

- Truly

Last edited by Truly; Mar 30, 2005 at 3:26 pm
Old Mar 30, 2005, 3:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
In other words the only benefit I can think of for going AA again is that I'd earn some of those upgrade stickers. The downside is I'd have to fly out of JFK and I live 15mn from EWR. Am I forgetting anything? Are those upgrade stickers worth schlepping across Manhattan for?
Have you looked at EWR-BOS-CDG on AA, or even EWR-ORD-CDG? The mileage bonuses as a Platinum would make it worthwhile for me.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 5:53 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
It's still semi-early in the year, but if you're going to be doing a lot of transatlantic and/or premium-class flying you probably ought to consider getting AA EQPs whenever possible so that you can extend your Platinum status (or even achieve EXP) past next February. So I would look on the schlep to Queens as an investment.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
Originally Posted by holmedown
You only get the 100% bonus miles on the qualifying leg if you qualify for PLT via a challenge. If you qualify for it via BIS miles, you just get the GLD bonus. Same for qualifying for GLD -- GLD bonus miles for the last leg when qualifying via challenge, no bonus miles for the last leg when qualifying via BIS miles.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
Have you looked at EWR-BOS-CDG on AA, or even EWR-ORD-CDG? The mileage bonuses as a Platinum would make it worthwhile for me.
I have to fly out on a Sunday night and go straight to work Monday morning so the idea of adding a leg is just too painful to contemplate, no matter what the bonuses!

- Truly
Old Mar 31, 2005, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
It's still semi-early in the year, but if you're going to be doing a lot of transatlantic and/or premium-class flying you probably ought to consider getting AA EQPs whenever possible so that you can extend your Platinum status (or even achieve EXP) past next February. So I would look on the schlep to Queens as an investment.
Very good point! I don't actually expect to do much more transatlantic/premium-class travel this year... so far only two more trips are planned - this one and a trip to Rome (in Coach) in May. So I doubt I'll requalify unless things change significantly at work. I suppose it can't hurt to focus on one airline though just in case. And, I will get the benefit of the FF mileage bonuses every time I fly AA. Even if it does mean I have to sit in traffic....

- Truly
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:59 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Make sure they gave you the 3635 miles towards upgrades. They screwed up on my recent challenge and I had to call them to have it added.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.