Search

More Simplification for AA

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2005, 4:14 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hillrider
I find this constant whining about food being an "extra" really tedious.
I find that there is much more "whining" about the food, lack of food, quality of food, etc. Comments about it being an extra are not whining, just more of a reality check. I guess one person's important issue is another's whining, but the food-as-extra people don't need to whine- that's just the way it is these days.

It's the people who want the food who start the threads and whine about it. You don't see threads like "Food is an extra, so deal with it". That's only posted in reponse to the initial whines.

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2005, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
It's interesting how we all vary in preferences -what we call "common sense." Possibly a majority of people like to be personalized by employees providing service - e.g. the previous posts about passengers being greeted personally and addressed by a purser or FA.

Some prefer guidance from the passenger - e.g. what we call the "platinum rule of communications", meaning "do unto them what they would be done unto" - the USAir FA was merely folowing this precept by attempting to determine your preference in the matter.

I find asking similar questions smoothes the way for better relations when I am traveling, particularly so in countries where I am not familiar with protocol or with different cultures; most people are quite willing to help me avoid gaffes or worse, and feel somewhat honored they were asked.

I just wish that I had been given an option - such as, "Is it ok to call you Ms. so and so?" Where I would answer - "Thank you but I prefer that you don't."
Old May 25, 2005, 12:25 am

Food ....

Well I fly FC for the seat I see the food as an added ammenity so I am not picky about what I get. I'm gracious to be served a nice entree and salad with dessert and nuts. The alcohol is included and the seat pitch is large. Why do some people think food is the only reason for going in FC? It's not the end of the world if you don't get a large meal as you can eat upon landing. The meals on AA are more than enough for me. I will be happy if I can eat half of the entree. So the service cuts are not affecting me one bit. I actually like having my salad with my meal .This is how I'm used to.

And besides if you want more salad you can ask. Also the pre-made sundaes won't make a difference in my opinion. If there are seconds then I will be glad to have more.

As with the soynuts these nuts are quite healthy. I realize some of the FT'ers on this website don't enjoy it. But if you drink some Coke with it you won't know you've had soynuts. They are quite healthy for you and I applaud AA for making this part of the mix. Protiene is good on long flights it can help prevent the major effects of jetlag.

So I would rethink your opinions and you will see food is part of the fun. There is a movie,music,and of course you can read and play games on your laptop. Eating helps pass the time. By the time you play games ,listen to music,and eat you will be at your destiantion. Acutally if you sleep on the flight it can curb your appetite.

As always,I welcome your opinions.
Old May 25, 2005, 3:40 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by danielonn
And besides if you want more salad you can ask.
How can you do that? The salads I've had this year have all been preplated, rather than served from some giant salad bowl. Are there extra salads just for the asking? On the snack flights, you're lucky to get an entire leaf of lettuce, as they've shrunk those salads down so small.

I hate the soynuts. They go back every trip. Washing them down with Coke is not going to make them more palatable. The mix they had prior to the soynut blend was just fine with me.
Old May 25, 2005, 4:18 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by tom911
I hate the soynuts. They go back every trip. Washing them down with Coke is not going to make them more palatable.
And soon you won't eveh have the Coke to wash them down with:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=425086
Old May 25, 2005, 4:54 am

I realize that I may be in the minorty here but I kind of like soy nuts. Granted, I am not sure that they belong in a nut mix served before dinner as most people do not enjoy them.

My guess RE: the change was it was probably a choice between adding peanuts or soy nuts and since less people have allergies to soy nuts than peanuts AA made the choice that protects them from exposure to legal action from peanut related death/injury(a major cost savings).

However, on the few AA flights that I flown this year I have been happy with the service except for the new ice cream sundaes where the topping was not great and actually a bit odd(granted recieving a sundae on a DFW-EWR is better than I would ever get with CO so, I cannot say much).

Dan
Old May 25, 2005, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hillrider
I find this constant whining about food being an "extra" really tedious. For the truly frequent flyer, who typically eats more often on airliners than at restaurants, extra "planned" time to stand in line to buy a measly cold sandwich at the airport (assuming there's such an option) is totally wasted time, robbed from family--given the choice, would you rather be at home at 7pm and skip the food-buying experience or "plan" for the next flight and arrive home at 8pm? And yes, when you have 5 meals/week on planes, having hot meals makes a substantial difference.
I agree completely.

I'm willing to pay extra for my F meals and have written AA more than once to let them know. If you fly often enough, Powersauce bars and picnic food just doesn't cut it for dinner.
Old May 25, 2005, 12:55 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Still better than USAir's Ethiopian menu options. In FC a cold (and mean COLD,) ham sandwich, soggy fruit cup and yogurt. And that's breakfast on transcon. Did I mention that it's the same boxed meal that they sell in coach?
Old May 25, 2005, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Meals....

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I agree completely.

I'm willing to pay extra for my F meals and have written AA more than once to let them know. If you fly often enough, Powersauce bars and picnic food just doesn't cut it for dinner.
I agree as well. I am in the camp of "I'm willing to PAY good $$$ IF and only IF the goods and services I receive are deserving of such premium......"

In this day of electronic capabilities and automation, I've always wondered why AA couldn't insert an "optional" booking at the time of ticket purchse for a SQ/TG/CI style "Book the Cook" automatic meal order for respective cabins and **charge** an amount for the meals. Looking at the meal receipts and observing those in the airport terminals, many many travelers spend anywhere from $15-$30 on airport food, which could have been turned into revenue by AA just for inserting this"automation".

AA doesn't even need to provide the catering/process...they can simply contract them out. If the FA's are not keen on the duty as a waitress/waiter....if we have enough "book the cook" orders, why not have a trained "waiter/waitress" for flight so the sole purpose of him/her will be to serve the "booked" meals on board.......surely that can be arranged?

I know I am dreaming, but since AA is already doing Buy on Board, why not really "enhance" the offerings???
Old May 25, 2005, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by jkc22
In this day of electronic capabilities and automation, I've always wondered why AA couldn't insert an "optional" booking at the time of ticket purchse for a SQ/TG/CI style "Book the Cook" automatic meal order for respective cabins and **charge** an amount for the meals. Looking at the meal receipts and observing those in the airport terminals, many many travelers spend anywhere from $15-$30 on airport food, which could have been turned into revenue by AA just for inserting this"automation".
I have often wished I could pre-order a meal, but I would guess that delays, rebookings and standbys would create many potential problems with doing this. I don't standby often, but I know many people do. How would you guarantee their meal followed them? You probably couldn't.
Old May 25, 2005, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jcf27
Psychocadet,

75 bucks buys you a better meal with booze someplace else; not in a plane. Your investment of money and miles just for a meal is a very poor ROI. You fly first. That is first in line into the plane and out of it. Nothing more. Please seek a financial advisor, among other things...

Cheers,

J
Did I miss the part where they said they were going to reduce the price by $75 now that we have smaller salads and one part ice cream?
And clearly, I am sure all of us determine ROI before selecting a place to eat.
Old May 25, 2005, 2:13 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bbkenney
Did I miss the part where they said they were going to reduce the price by $75 now that we have smaller salads and one part ice cream?
And clearly, I am sure all of us determine ROI before selecting a place to eat.
No to the first part. The post that you quoted was making the point that your fee is not going to the meal, but the transportation. Therefore, if the meal is reduced, it does not affect the cost.

As to the second part, I'll assume that you're being facetious and disagree (if you're serious, then we agree). Of course one does an ROI analysis on a place to eat. It's not usually concsiouc, but we determine if the return is worth $50 at, say McDonald's and decide no. If we go to Morton's steak house, it is well worth $50. There's the ROI analysis.

Cheers.
Old May 25, 2005, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by makfan
I have often wished I could pre-order a meal, but I would guess that delays, rebookings and standbys would create many potential problems with doing this. I don't standby often, but I know many people do. How would you guarantee their meal followed them? You probably couldn't.
I'd gladly pay a nonrefundable amount in advance and be willing to flush the $$$ paid if I voluntarily stood by. If my flight is canceled and I'm rerouted, then either my meal would follow me (like my checked bags are supposed to) or AA could refund. Easy as that.

I'm not talking about a complete 100 item menu like it's a TGI Fridays. Just gimme the Beef, Chicken, Pasta or Fish options, like I do now in F. But lemme buy this F meal on any aircraft with oven-equipped galleys, whether I sit in F or in coach. I want fed, and I'm willing to pay. What more does AA want?

Give customers what they value? This is it, AA.
Old May 25, 2005, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
I would pay to pre-order my meal. I am allergic to seafood and sometimes am left with no option on a flight - especially when my upgrade clears late and I end up in a not-so-favorable seat for the purposes of meal selection. Although when the choice is seafood or pizza, I always end up with the pizza (yuck)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.