Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coke and Pepsi Provisioning

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2005, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Coke and Pepsi Provisioning

I thought that you guys might like this. Didn't know if you all knew or not that coke products have been drastically reduced. So, supposedly, the provisioning is 50/50...well, it's not. Pepsi products now dominate the insert. When we use to have three diet cokes, and 4 cokes, 1 pepsi and 1 diest pepsi, we now have 1 coke, 1 diet coke, and 2 pepsi, 2 diet pepsi.

Many of our customers have come to expect coke products, especially diet coke...the past month you may notice that we are running out of it a lot faster...

so with that:

Coke and Pepsi Provisioning:

Q. I know that we reduced the number of coke products, but it is a problem for us to recite the P.A.s. Why? I'm really getting tired of apologizing for not have things that customers want. One Diet Coke per insert is not practical. What should I do?

A. Just be honest with our customers. There is nothing wrong with you advising your passengers that we have an important business relationship with both Coke and Pepsi and were able to save significant money by capitalizing on the relationships and adjusting provisioning rates during the last beverage bids. While, this may not satisfy some of your customers, most will understand the logistics of a business decision that involves the advertising of similar products.
I've had plenty of pax get irritated when I have to say that we've run out of diet coke (within the first two rows) when we normally went half the plane. Like you all say, "we know why you fly"
Old Apr 23, 2005, 9:42 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I saw this first hand today on DFW-LAX. The F/A in F ran out of Diet Coke, and had to go grab the last few cans from an F/A in coach. After that, we were told we'd have to get by on Diet Pepsi.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.3MM, WN A+/CP, HH DIA, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
Luckily I haven't been affected by this (yet). Just wait until they tinker with the Diet Dr Depper allocation...
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Arrgghhh!!! They're at it again. Why would an airline based in Dallas with a principal hub in Chicago.....have anything BUT Coke? Because Pepsi is 1/8th of a cent less? And t his will save them from bankruptcy?
Keep the Coke at a high level....please.

I'm an inclusive kind of guy...lay on some Pepsi on the NY flights....I want everyone to be happy. But DON"T TAKE AWAY MY COKE !!! "Rum & Pepsi"? Aggggggggg. And what is Pepsi's offering in the 7up type category?

Maybe AA could get Royal Crown or Cragmont even cheaper. Maybe Moon Pies could replace uncooked mushroom pizzas.

Truthfully, I think its just a scam so we bring our own on board.

And speaking of the uncooked, awful pizzas, branded "UNO" (I cant find these on the menu at Uno). Theres a lot of people, me included, where a nice salad and soup would be the deal, especially if there was a choice or two of dressing.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:20 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by bbkenney
And what is Pepsi's offering in the 7up type category?
sierra mist. better than sprite, not as good as 7up, imo. i was offered diet sierra mist a couple of times last week.
Old Apr 23, 2005, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Seems like Pepsi is giving a better deal to the airlines. UA dumped Coke for Pepsi so the savings must be significant enough to switch. Unless Coke matches Pepsi pricing, I bet it will be bye-bye Coke on AA especially since they are counting every cent.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by bbkenney
Arrgghhh!!! They're at it again. Why would an airline based in Dallas with a principal hub in Chicago.....have anything BUT Coke?
Actually IIRC, Pepsi used to outsell Coke in Chicago. Don't know if that's still the case though. Dallas though has always been Cokelandia (with a strong side of Dr. P .)
Old Apr 24, 2005, 12:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I wonder how many people really can tell the difference. I'm sure afficiandos can, but I sure can't. I didn't even know they had both until a few weeks ago when I asked for a "Diet coke or diet pepsi or whatever you have" and the FA told me they had both. I'm surprised one of the companies hadn't signed an exclusive like they do with restaurants.

Oh well... interesting news anyway
Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:00 am
jdn

Programs: WN A-List, HHonors Gold (Ex AA PLT and HH Diamond)
Originally Posted by Seat1A
sierra mist. better than sprite, not as good as 7up, imo. i was offered diet sierra mist a couple of times last week.
I'm always wary of Sierra Mist because I have seen it with Caffeine added... the reason I get 7up/Sprite is because it is no caffeine. Can anyone confirm/deny that the sierra mist served on AA is decaf? that is, assuming Sierra Mist has made its way on board in lieu of the sprite.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by jdn
I'm always wary of Sierra Mist because I have seen it with Caffeine added... the reason I get 7up/Sprite is because it is no caffeine. Can anyone confirm/deny that the sierra mist served on AA is decaf? that is, assuming Sierra Mist has made its way on board in lieu of the sprite.
According to the official Pepsi.com site, Sierra Mist and Sierra Mist Free (diet) do not contain caffeine. The official ingredients for Sierra Mist:

Sierra Mist (8 fl. oz)
Contains: Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup and/or sugar, natural flavors, citric acid, potassium benzoate (preserves freshness), potassium citrate, ascorbic acid, calcium disodium EDTA (to protect flavor)

I try to avoid drinks with a lot of nasty high fructose corn syrup.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 2:33 am

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
The last strAAw

American Airlines. You claim to know why I fly, but you take away legroom, pillows, blankets, food in Y, proper nuts in F, waivers for change fees, free phone calls to agents, and a decent mileage upgrade program. I've stuck with you through all of that.

But replacing Coke with Pepsi????

That's it, I'm going to CO.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 2:45 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by omegadeal
I wonder how many people really can tell the difference.
Oh well... interesting news anyway
If I may, "Once you try Coke, you never go Pepsi." Coke and Pepsi are really different kind of species, IMHO. Personally, I always go with Coke. Pepsi is much too sweeter. Even though I haven't flew AA recently, I still hate the fact they take away your "freedom of choice."

I wonder whether AA understands at all what LOYALTY means in consumers' behaviors. AA probably needs a Dr. Phil kind of fix!
Old Apr 24, 2005, 3:25 am

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
Looks like AA is slowly weening itself off Coke products and becoming a Pepsi only carrier. This may be the last month you see Coke products onboard AA aircraft.

My last 2 flights DFW-SFO & SFO-ORD contained coke prodcuts that looked like they were being removed from international flights to reduce the remaining supplies. The Sprite I ordered on DFW-SFO was definitely from the NL.

I guess Coke may be a thing of the past on AA flights... good thing I prefer water.
Old Apr 24, 2005, 6:29 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Ah..... this explains it! The last 3 flights I've been on, sitting towards the back of F class, I've heard the FA saying "we were short provisioned," "we're out of that, would you like __________," etc. I tried not to pay attention, since all the creeping cutbacks just depress me (and I was terrified they were talking about booze!).
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:03 am

This would explain why the last few flights when I ask for a diet Sprite, it has been met with, "I'll have to see if there is any." And on one occasion a Diet Sierra Mist was subbed.

I'd still love to meet the dingbat that comes up with all these brilliant ideas. He or She is probably a bright person in the academic sense, but lacking all common horse sense!

If only WN could offer an "Elite" security line and pre-reserve bulkheads or exit row.........

Last edited by DataPlumber; Apr 24, 2005 at 7:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.