Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lower fares on American at MIA

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:42 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Neal
These planes are used on some really long routes, including the MIA-LAX transcon.
The MD80 can't fly that far nonstop! It's not used on this route!
Old Nov 18, 2004, 5:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by G- five
Neal, you may want to check your facts. Out of AA's 5 non-stop MIA-LAX flights, none are operated by a Super-80. It's a combo of 757's and 767's so you will still get your pillows
I was looking at LAS-MIA, (via LAX,) schedules. The MD-80 I saw apparently was a LAS-LAX flight and I thought it was a LAX-MIA flight. I didn't think even AA would use such a small plane on a transcon. Thanks for the correction.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 7:40 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by G- five
Neal, you may want to check your facts. Out of AA's 5 non-stop MIA-LAX flights, none are operated by a Super-80. It's a combo of 757's and 767's so you will still get your pillows
Not only that, but when the April 2005 schedule comes out, MD80 flying out of MIA will be virtually non-existant as about half of domestic flying out of MIA will become 738s.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 8:05 pm

What all this is adding up to is that AMR will have to invest heavily in paper for all the vouchers they'll end up issuing for all the overbooking, now at 20% per flight - my guess is that will now go to at least 30%. A little bit of sanity in the fares which will translate into more security/police calls to the gates.

Waaaaaaaaay to go AA! ^
Old Nov 18, 2004, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
This looks good on paper, at least. A simplified fare structure, with substantially lower prices at the top end is appealing. I assume South Florida is the test market for potentially the rest of the domestic network.

With that all said, I'm trying to figure out the new fare structure impacts all of us outside the three promoted hubs and three non-hub major markets. My very cursory search of SAT fares didn't turn up anything especially encouraging when it comes to the non-refunable walk-up fares. Are we left out in the cold?
Old Nov 19, 2004, 3:59 am

Actually not, I believe both JFK and LGA have had their own fare structures for some time.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by WingNaPrayer
What all this is adding up to is that AMR will have to invest heavily in paper for all the vouchers they'll end up issuing for all the overbooking, now at 20% per flight - my guess is that will now go to at least 30%. A little bit of sanity in the fares which will translate into more security/police calls to the gates.

Waaaaaaaaay to go AA! ^
Huh???

That is a bit of a stretch even for you. There are legitimate grouses against AA without diluting by hyperbole.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 7:12 am

Programs: Former AA EXP/2M Lifetime now Blackballed UA Premier Executive PWP Bronze
Actually not, I believe both JFK and LGA have had their own fare structures for some time.
I think this was done DFW-LAX almost a year ago. Living in Dallas at the time and traveling frequently to LA, I remember an almost identical marketing campaign.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by venk
Huh???

That is a bit of a stretch even for you. There are legitimate grouses against AA without diluting by hyperbole.
No hyperbole intended. I've seen first hand the near riots that can ensue at gates because of oversales - especially on any flight to Haiti! I've even seen agents get punched and knocked to the floor because of oversales and passengers being denied boarding. This fare structure WILL generate more ill will than good . . . for a while. Yes, the seats may be cheaper, or more reasonably priced but even though AA expects reservations to go up, they said nothing about increasing capacity to atone for it. This always equates to pissed of passengers, its just that now with this fare structure, there will be more of them.

^ for taking a shot at simplifying the fare structures.
for not taking into account the agent abuse that will result from it.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 8:01 am
Suspended

No hyperbole intended. I've seen first hand the near riots that can ensue at gates because of oversales - especially on any flight to Haiti! I've even seen agents get punched and knocked to the floor because of oversales and passengers being denied boarding. This fare structure WILL generate more ill will than good . . . for a while. Yes, the seats may be cheaper, or more reasonably priced but even though AA expects reservations to go up, they said nothing about increasing capacity to atone for it. This always equates to pissed of passengers, its just that now with this fare structure, there will be more of them.

An accurate summary of this post would be the single word "hogwash"
If you think the new fare structure out of MIA which in my opinion somewhat better than AA's say 14 day fares in many instance is going to generate
" riots" at the gate because of overbooking you are really going off the deep end.
Who are these new pax now flying to ORD and NYC? the rioting Haitians you referenced above. I bet the Cubans you despise are exstatic you gave them a pass, at least temporarily.

mike

Last edited by MIKESILV; Nov 19, 2004 at 8:04 am
Old Nov 19, 2004, 8:09 am

I assume your point is that AA would need to bump more passengers to accommodate walk-up fares who have higher margins and they need to overbook because they cannot guarantee walk-up fare customers until last minute.

Just adding more flights would not help because the same "problem" would happen in all unless they fly some of them empty just for the overflow. Adding capacity is not the solution but deciding when the plane is full is.

I don't see much of a change in their overbooking policy as they gather statistics for the walk-in customers. While each individual customer is unpredictable, the number of walk-ins will stabilize and become reasonably predictable. With at least some higher-margin customers, they can afford to over-estimate a bit. There is no reason why that should result in higher number of DBs, just higher number of people not being able to get a reservation at bargain prices.

So the only difference (at least in AA's mind) will be that they will trade-off some deep discount travelers with some higher-margin customers. They are not trying for increasing the number of passengers.

This is not to excuse the current conditions at MIA, the "armpit" of airports.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 8:13 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
intersting..
Old Nov 19, 2004, 8:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by d00t
intersting..
I wish I could say the same for your last 3 posts on this board I guess we should be thankful at least ONE of them was more than two words.

mike
Old Nov 19, 2004, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by MIKESILV
I wish I could say the same for your last 3 posts on this board I guess we should be thankful at least ONE of them was more than two words.

mike
Good gawd who pissed in your cheerios? You need to get laid or something? With an attitude like that it wouldn't be any wonder!

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, let them have it and stay out of it. You post way too many smartassed responses just looking to provoke an argument.

You're now on my ignore list . . .but you're in good company!
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:20 am
askworldtraveler

Let's go back to topic -

How about it everyone.... and please let's not go personal. Thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.