Using AA miles to upgrade on Iberia?

 
Old Nov 15, 04, 2:12 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 40
Using AA miles to upgrade on Iberia?

Hi All,

I'm flying from JFK-JNB with Iberia in coach. Painful, but the price is right($588). Was wondering if there was any way to use AA miles to upgrade.

I'm assuming not, so does anyone have advice on pre-booking a seat (it's on 747-300 and Airbus 340). Seat guru doesn't cover Iberia. I've booked aisle seats, but can't do emergency exit rows...

Sorry I looked on aa.com and did a quick search of this forum, but couldn't find anything regarding these topics.

Thanks in advance.
cluckadee is offline  
Old Nov 15, 04, 2:16 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Washington DC
Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Posts: 1,148
You cannot use AA miles to upgrade on Iberia. As for seats, you can see Iberia's seating chart on its website. Once you know which seats you want, call Iberia, with the correct record locator and have them reserve them for you. They will not release exit rows before airport check-in.
Finally, just so you know, Iberia has a very poor economy class product.
SethLevy is offline  
Old Nov 15, 04, 2:36 pm
  #3  
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Louisville, KY
Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Posts: 57,281
You also might want to check and make sure your cheap IB flights are actually creditable to AAdvantage.

Click here for aa.com IB chart
Spiff is online now  
Old Nov 15, 04, 2:47 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Chicago
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 40
Originally Posted by Spiff
You also might want to check and make sure your cheap IB flights are actually creditable to AAdvantage.
Yeah, It's fare class V so 30% milage accrual, 100% point accrual. I'm at about 60K for the year so won't make EXP. Oh well...
cluckadee is offline  
Old Nov 15, 04, 2:54 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madrid, Spain & Santiago, Chile
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 3,181
Originally Posted by cluckadee
Yeah, It's fare class V so 30% milage accrual, 100% point accrual..
Beware that's 100% of 30%.
Viajero is offline  
Old Nov 15, 04, 2:58 pm
  #6  
formerly gemini573
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: LAX, HKG, and BKK
Programs: CX DM (Emerald), former Hyatt DM, and current Marriott Gold.
Posts: 2,215
You can't use AA miles to upgrade on any oneworld or aa codeshare flights. You can certainly purchase a J class ticket with miles. In the past, before AA decided to codeshare with CX, you could use miles to upgrade from Y to J.
The only oneworld carrier I know where you can upgrade with miles using a different carrier is CX.

Last edited by 77W_12A; Nov 15, 04 at 3:02 pm
77W_12A is offline  
Old Nov 15, 04, 3:05 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Missouri, AA EXP
Posts: 922
Originally Posted by Viajero
Beware that's 100% of 30%.
Huh?

"V" fares on Iberia receive 30% of the actual miles, but 1.0 (100%) point credit per mile. That is a 1000 mile flight would net you only 300 miles, but still a full 1000 points.
djcrooks is offline  
Old Nov 15, 04, 3:14 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Madrid, Spain & Santiago, Chile
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 3,181
Originally Posted by djcrooks
Huh?

"V" fares on Iberia receive 30% of the actual miles, but 1.0 (100%) point credit per mile. That is a 1000 mile flight would net you only 300 miles, but still a full 1000 points.
You get 100% of the miles earned, so if you only earn 30% you get 100% of that 30%, not 100% of the miles flown.
Viajero is offline  
Old Nov 15, 04, 7:23 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NY USA-Buenos Aires Argentina.
Programs: AA,US,AR,Hyatt, Hilton, holidayinn/AR Plus, DiscoPlus& JumboMas
Posts: 405
Originally Posted by gemini573
You can't use AA miles to upgrade on any oneworld or aa codeshare flights. You can certainly purchase a J class ticket with miles. In the past, before AA decided to codeshare with CX, you could use miles to upgrade from Y to J.
The only oneworld carrier I know where you can upgrade with miles using a different carrier is CX.
I disagree:

On 8/11/04 I upgraded with AA points from MIA to SCL on Lan Chile.
On 8/31/04 I upgraded with AA miles from SCL to MIA on Lan Chile. Tickets wehre issued in Lan Chile's stock.

Note: one trip points, one miles.
mlibers is offline  
Old Nov 15, 04, 7:47 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,521
Originally Posted by mlibers
I disagree:

On 8/11/04 I upgraded with AA points from MIA to SCL on Lan Chile.
On 8/31/04 I upgraded with AA miles from SCL to MIA on Lan Chile. Tickets wehre issued in Lan Chile's stock.

Note: one trip points, one miles.
This does not comport with any known reality. Whatever you think did or didn't happen, you can't upgrade on partners flights with AA miles. Period.
JonNYC is offline  
Old Nov 15, 04, 8:57 pm
  #11  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,583
No se puede. It's in the airlines' and oneworld's terms and conditions.

1) Points are useless for anything but granting AA status.
2) If you were upgraded, you were possibly Opped Up - or, please tell us how many miles were deducted from your account and how the deductions were listed in your on-line record?

"one trip points, one miles." ¿De que hablas? What are you talking about?

Originally Posted by mlibers
I disagree:

On 8/11/04 I upgraded with AA points from MIA to SCL on Lan Chile.
On 8/31/04 I upgraded with AA miles from SCL to MIA on Lan Chile. Tickets wehre issued in Lan Chile's stock.

Note: one trip points, one miles.
JDiver is offline  
Old Nov 15, 04, 9:50 pm
  #12  
formerly gemini573
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: LAX, HKG, and BKK
Programs: CX DM (Emerald), former Hyatt DM, and current Marriott Gold.
Posts: 2,215
Originally Posted by mlibers
I disagree:

On 8/11/04 I upgraded with AA points from MIA to SCL on Lan Chile.
On 8/31/04 I upgraded with AA miles from SCL to MIA on Lan Chile. Tickets wehre issued in Lan Chile's stock.

Note: one trip points, one miles.
Wow, you must be one of the lucky ones. I'm looking at the AA website right now. Doesn't say anything about upgrading using miles for other oneworld carriers. If LAN does it, great! I would love to try them out.
77W_12A is offline  
Old Nov 15, 04, 10:57 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NY USA-Buenos Aires Argentina.
Programs: AA,US,AR,Hyatt, Hilton, holidayinn/AR Plus, DiscoPlus& JumboMas
Posts: 405
Originally Posted by JDiver
No se puede. It's in the airlines' and oneworld's terms and conditions.

1) Points are useless for anything but granting AA status.
2) If you were upgraded, you were possibly Opped Up - or, please tell us how many miles were deducted from your account and how the deductions were listed in your on-line record?

"one trip points, one miles." ¿De que hablas? What are you talking about?
Copied from AA Acount info:

Date Transaction Description Mileage Bonus Total
STARTING BALANCE 626,926
08/11/04 AMERICAN AIRLINES 923 Y LGA MIA 1,097 274 1,371
08/11/04 LANCHILE 501 Y MIA SCL 4,117 1,029 5,146
08/11/04 LANCHILE 601 Y SCL EZE 709 177 886
TOTAL MILES POSTED 5,923 1,480 7,403
ENDING BALANCE 634,329


Date Transaction Description Purch. Mlg Exch Earned Other Redeemed Total
PREVIOUS BALANCE 13
08/11/04 AA 923 LGA MIA -3 -3
08/11/04 LA 501 MIA SCL -9 -9
CURRENT BALANCE 0 0 0 0 -12 1

Return Flight:
08/30/04 LANCHILE 270 Y PMC SCL 570 143 713
08/30/04 LANCHILE 271 Y SCL PMC 570 143 713
08/30/04 LANCHILE 400 F EZE SCL 709 355 1064
08/30/04 LANCHILE 500 Y SCL MIA 4,117 1,029 5,146
08/30/04 LANCHILE 500 Y SCL MIA UPG -20,000
08/31/04 AMERICAN AIRLINES 482 F MIA LGA 1,097 548 1,645

September:
PREVIOUS BALANCE 1
09/02/04 EARNED 4 4
CURRENT BALANCE 0 0 4 0 0 5

Well I hope this help, you cannot deny facts. It was on LA metal and also operated by AA.

I checked in on a Lan Chile Desk.

Last edited by mlibers; Nov 15, 04 at 11:02 pm
mlibers is offline  
Old Nov 15, 04, 11:07 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: FIND ME ON TWITTER FOR THE LATEST
Posts: 27,521
Originally Posted by mlibers
Copied from AA Acount info:

Date Transaction Description Mileage Bonus Total
STARTING BALANCE 626,926
08/11/04 AMERICAN AIRLINES 923 Y LGA MIA 1,097 274 1,371
08/11/04 LANCHILE 501 Y MIA SCL 4,117 1,029 5,146
08/11/04 LANCHILE 601 Y SCL EZE 709 177 886
TOTAL MILES POSTED 5,923 1,480 7,403
ENDING BALANCE 634,329


Date Transaction Description Purch. Mlg Exch Earned Other Redeemed Total
PREVIOUS BALANCE 13
08/11/04 AA 923 LGA MIA -3 -3
08/11/04 LA 501 MIA SCL -9 -9
CURRENT BALANCE 0 0 0 0 -12 1

Return Flight:
08/30/04 LANCHILE 270 Y PMC SCL 570 143 713
08/30/04 LANCHILE 271 Y SCL PMC 570 143 713
08/30/04 LANCHILE 400 F EZE SCL 709 355 1064
08/30/04 LANCHILE 500 Y SCL MIA 4,117 1,029 5,146
08/30/04 LANCHILE 500 Y SCL MIA UPG -20,000
08/31/04 AMERICAN AIRLINES 482 F MIA LGA 1,097 548 1,645

September:
PREVIOUS BALANCE 1
09/02/04 EARNED 4 4
CURRENT BALANCE 0 0 4 0 0 5

Well I hope this help, you cannot deny facts. It was on LA metal and also operated by AA.

I checked in on a Lan Chile Desk.
None of this makes any sense whatsoever. None. it looks like you're saying it was 9 500-mile upgrades one-way and a 20,000 mile upgrade award from SCL-MIA? This is truly Twilight Zone stuff. However you pulled that off-- more power to ya'-- but the answer is still the same for all intents and purposes. You cannot use AA miles to upgrade on other OneWorld carriers. Period. And 500-milers for deep S. American travel??? Who knows what happened here, but it is a once-in-a-lifetime, struck by lightning 3 times in a day type event and has no bearing on anyone else-- this is your own, personal AAdvantage program.

Last edited by JonNYC; Nov 15, 04 at 11:09 pm
JonNYC is offline  
Old Nov 15, 04, 11:15 pm
  #15  
LLZ
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: FLL, over-inflated EGO due to EXP status
Posts: 4,519
Originally Posted by mlibers
I disagree:

On 8/11/04 I upgraded with AA points from MIA to SCL on Lan Chile.
On 8/31/04 I upgraded with AA miles from SCL to MIA on Lan Chile. Tickets wehre issued in Lan Chile's stock.

Note: one trip points, one miles.
How did you request these upgrades? Over the phone, at the airport? With AA or LA?
LLZ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread