Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is new Intl upgrade fee a step toward two class intl flights?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2004, 1:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Is new Intl upgrade fee a step toward two class intl flights?

I know this is a wacky thought, but if they kill demand for J, they could strip it out and then just fly two classes. Charge more to people who want to upgrade since it's an F product, and jam more seats in the sapce where J was before.

I can see the marketing spin now, based on customer input, we're enhancing our intl flights to make more room in coach and give you the chance to upgrade directly to F.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 1:11 pm

Programs: Adrift in a sea of FF programs
Or, as I've seen speculated elsewhere, will they eliminate Business in order to offer something similar to BA's WT+ or United's whatever they call it?

So they'd end up with Economy, Premier Economy and First/Business.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps, but Business Class was invented to allow business-types to enjoy some level of increased comfort and yet avoid the accusations that they were frivilously wasting their employers' or shareholders' money by flying First Class (presumably something only rich people should be allowed to do). Wouldn't a complete abandonment of 3 class service cause the same sorts of difficulties that Business Class was invented to avoid? And some rich people DO fly paid F (or at least paid A). But maybe you're onto something.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 2:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Perhaps, but Business Class was invented to allow business-types to enjoy some level of increased comfort and yet avoid the accusations that they were frivilously wasting their employers' or shareholders' money by flying First Class (presumably something only rich people should be allowed to do). Wouldn't a complete abandonment of 3 class service cause the same sorts of difficulties that Business Class was invented to avoid? And some rich people DO fly paid F (or at least paid A). But maybe you're onto something.
I suspect that many coporations ocnsider Business class a frivolous expense these days. Those that don't probably accept that increased comfort is good for the resources they have travelling and would accept an upgrade to FC on a two class plane as quickly as an upgrade to J on a three class plane.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 2:24 pm

Programs: EXP
Originally Posted by Spyder
I know this is a wacky thought, .
Nah, they're putting better seats in C, taking MRTC out. I don't see the current 3 class equipment going down to 2. They may adjust the mix though, i.e. current 777s have 35 C seats, the new config may reduce that and will certainly increase the Y seats.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 2:36 pm

Programs: dont matter anymore...
AA does very well with the "real" F they have on the routes they acually kept it on.. LHR, GRU.. etc..

At my old company J was allowed for anything over 6 hours in the air, but F was never allowed.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by flipside
...At my old company J was allowed for anything over 6 hours in the air, but F was never allowed.
And that's why, if they did it (and I don't think they will), it would be CALLED J. Same seats and service (and price) as F, just called "Business Class" so companies would pay for it.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by r3guru
Nah, they're putting better seats in C, taking MRTC out. I don't see the current 3 class equipment going down to 2. They may adjust the mix though, i.e. current 777s have 35 C seats, the new config may reduce that and will certainly increase the Y seats.
Better seats in business class? On what airplane?
Old Oct 13, 2004, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OneWorld's membership requirements originally included 3 class international service, but with AA and BA backing off their 3 class service, that is probably a moot point.

But with AA only offering int'l F (3 classes) on its 777s, and apparently selling enough of it to warrant keeping it (not converting the 777s to 2 class like the 763s), then why would AA ditch it now?
Old Oct 13, 2004, 6:37 pm

Programs: EXP
Originally Posted by bbkenney
Better seats in business class? On what airplane?
777/767 -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339492

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.