Search

Plat Challenge and Corporate Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: *wood Plat, United 2P, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Plat Challenge and Corporate Tickets

Hi all--

My girlfriend works for a large multinational that has some sort of deal with American-- I assume some type of discount. They are flying her to London in a month or so and she gets to fly Business. Does she get full elite qualifying points for this flight if the ticket has a corporate discount? The reason I ask is 1.5qp/mile flown = 10320 jfk-lhr rt , meaning she could knock out a platinum challenge in one flight. Will she be able to? If not, does she get any qpoints? Thanks for any insight!!
Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:40 am
LLZ

Originally Posted by jamesben4
Hi all--

My girlfriend works for a large multinational that has some sort of deal with American-- I assume some type of discount. They are flying her to London in a month or so and she gets to fly Business. Does she get full elite qualifying points for this flight if the ticket has a corporate discount? The reason I ask is 1.5qp/mile flown = 10320 jfk-lhr rt , meaning she could knock out a platinum challenge in one flight. Will she be able to? If not, does she get any qpoints? Thanks for any insight!!
To my knowledge and experience, yes. The corporate discount has no effect on what the pax earns. So if flying on a biz class fare, she'll earn the 1.5, regardless of what the ticket actually costs.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:45 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Is it possible the have consolidator fares in Business? If so, perhaps this would fall into that category and not earn the points. I have no idea if this is the case, just suggesting a possibility.

Cheers.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: *wood Plat, United 2P, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Thank you both for the replies! Forgive the ignorance here, but what exactly is a consolidator fare?
Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:53 am
LLZ

Originally Posted by brp
Is it possible the have consolidator fares in Business? If so, perhaps this would fall into that category and not earn the points. I have no idea if this is the case, just suggesting a possibility.

Cheers.
I can't say defintively no, but I highly doubt it. All your g/f has to do anyway, is call AA and find out which fare class her ticket is. If it's J, D or, I, she'll get the 1.5. And, if it's J (definitely not D, not sure about I), she can upgrade to F for 10K which is a great deal for a flat-seat.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:02 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jamesben4
Thank you both for the replies! Forgive the ignorance here, but what exactly is a consolidator fare?
Consolidator fares are very low fares that are bought in bulk by third parties, and sold to the public. This allows very low fares to the pax. Likely, though, this will not apply here as these fares are always(?) for coach tickets.

Probably best to ignore my query in the previous post- probably adding more confusion than help.

Cheers.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
There are Biz-Consolidators

There are business class and even first class consolidators. They don't deal with the public, but rather with corporations and TAs.

My advice to the OP is to get the fare class and then compare it to the table that is posted here on this site, outlining which fare class qualifies for miles/points. The other option is to ticket it (since she has no choice anyway) and then call AA with the locator, ask how many miles she will earn and then sign her up for the challenge...
Old Sep 30, 2004, 3:44 pm

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
I flew on a business class ticket that had a 10% discount -- actually about a $1000 discount compared to UA ($7700 AA vs. $8900 UA). I got 1.5x miles no problem.

Some super super discount might not get the bonus miles, but a 10% discount seems to.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by LLZ
To my knowledge and experience, yes. The corporate discount has no effect on what the pax earns.
There are some corporate contracts that inhibit mileage accrual altogether They are deeply discounted and not published fares. Actually if miles do get posted, they get removed during routine audits. You can not earn elite status or other FF benefits when using those discounted tickets.

A lot of the corporate discounts guarantee a certain published fares, and those would be eligible for mileage accrual.

I would check with other associates in the company that travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.