Search

New Emergency Exit Row Confirmation on Seat Selection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2004, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
New Emergency Exit Row Confirmation on Seat Selection

When elites choose an exit row you now get a confirmation screen:

You are about to be assigned an exit seat.

Government rules require that passengers seated in an exit seat must be:
Willing to assist in an evacuation
Able to operate the exit door and assist others in exiting
15 years of age or older
You may not sit in an exit seat if you:
Are traveling with a child under 15 years of age or another passenger who requires your care
Lack visual capacity or require corrective aids beyond eyeglasses/contact lenses
Require assistance beyond a hearing aid to hear and understand verbal instructions
Are unable to understand printed emergency exit instructions or crewmember instructions
Have a condition that might prevent you from performing evacuation functions or injure you while performing such functions
Do you accept the exit seat criteria for this entire reservation?

Interesting change...
Old Sep 16, 2004, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
Just came here to post the same thing. I wonder what made them make this change now. Kind of annoying, as after I clicked on 'yes' it took almost a minute to go to the next page and allow me to book the exit row. At least you only have to click on it once per reservation, not once per exit row you select.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Jace
Have a condition that might prevent you from performing evacuation functions or injure you while performing such functions
Like kidney failure? What does that have to do with exit rows?
Old Sep 16, 2004, 1:34 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by grouse
Well, perhaps like paraplegia, for one; blindness, for another. There are many conditions that would prevent one from being able to do the things required in case of emergency.

Since they have to ask this question anyway, I have no problem with them asking at booking time.

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 2:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I have no problem with answering this question, and with a mere mouse click, it's so easy! This is a Federal Aviation Regulation anyway, and merely allowing people to select and then having to move them out of their seat when it becomes obvious one is a child or youth under 15, or someone with an impairment that would not allow them to heft a 44 lb emergency hatch, is bad PR - not to do so is to viloate a Federal safety reg of some consequence. AA merely got a bit smAArter by including this.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
Took me a minute to get your joke. Don't think others have gotten it

hint: evacuation is the key word.

Originally Posted by grouse

Originally Posted by Jace

Old Sep 16, 2004, 4:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rmc1
Took me a minute to get your joke. Don't think others have gotten it

hint: evacuation is the key word.
Boy did I completely miss that. And me with the serious response. D'oh!

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2004, 5:23 pm

Evacuation??? Lav me alone! Missed it...

I guess that means if you are constipated, or have diarrhea, you'd better not sit in an exit row. Though I am not sure how they would penalize you...
Old Sep 16, 2004, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Its been a long day

Originally Posted by brp
Boy did I completely miss that. And me with the serious response. D'oh!

Cheers.

I still don't get it... clue me in...
Old Sep 16, 2004, 5:48 pm

"When elites choose an exit row you now get a confirmation screen:

You are about to be assigned an exit seat.

Government rules require that passengers seated in an exit seat must be:
Willing to assist in an evacuation
Able to operate the exit door and assist others in exiting
15 years of age or older

<snip>
<snip>

Another toilet joke, written unwittingly by an AA functionary. (Did you ever think your mind was maybe too clean for FT? )

Originally Posted by Deltahater
I still don't get it... clue me in...
Old Sep 17, 2004, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors, Marriott Silver
Must be the next level for the FAA....first they started requiring the FAs to get a verbal OK after giving you the exit row speech, now the agent at the check-in counter and the gate agent both ask you if you're willing and able to assist. Do they think anybody really listens to this after hearing it numerous times?

As an aside, there was a 65+ woman in the exit window in front of me today from BOS to FLL...no way she would be able to open the exit. FA gave her a double take, but they made a comment that if "anyone wanted to be reseated, it would be on the wing, as the plane was full". So it's really good the FAA is making such a point of this!
Old Sep 17, 2004, 6:07 pm

But oh my gosh, what happens if NOBODY sits in the exit row ? The whole plane shall perish!

evacuation complete
Old Sep 17, 2004, 6:09 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExpoTrac

As an aside, there was a 65+ woman in the exit window in front of me today from BOS to FLL...no way she would be able to open the exit. FA gave her a double take, but they made a comment that if "anyone wanted to be reseated, it would be on the wing, as the plane was full". So it's really good the FAA is making such a point of this!
It will be an interesting next step where FAs are put in a position of having to make a judgement call on someone's "yes" answer. Just because someone says yes doesn't mean that they can do it. In the end my life, and yours, might be at stake. I'm not yet suggesting that a "yes" answer may not be enough...but it could come to that.

Of course, it likely won't until something happens. Someone who said "yes" couldn't, and people are hurt as a result. I hope it never comes to that.

Cheers.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 6:34 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
They should also add a confirmation "You are at least 6' tall". I hate it when I see 5 footers sitting in the exit row and I've got to sit in LRTC. Luckily, I almost always upgrade or get exit row thanks to being Platinum.
Old Sep 17, 2004, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
They should also add a confirmation "You are at least 6' tall". I hate it when I see 5 footers sitting in the exit row and I've got to sit in LRTC. Luckily, I almost always upgrade or get exit row thanks to being Platinum.
I know you're joking (you ARE joking, right? ) but one doesn't have to be 6' tall to be uncompfotable in a LRTC or RJ non-exit row seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.