Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Emergency Exit Row Confirmation on Seat Selection

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2004, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
DL has been doing this since at least 2000. And the FA's really already ARE in a position of making a judgment call. THEY have the responsibility (delegated by the captain) of making sure that the exit rows are safe.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 12:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta SkyMiles
Angry

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
They should also add a confirmation "You are at least 6' tall". I hate it when I see 5 footers sitting in the exit row and I've got to sit in LRTC. Luckily, I almost always upgrade or get exit row thanks to being Platinum.
I'm 5'6" and am probably in much better physical condition to lift the exit row door than many of the 6-footers I see, being that they're usually also 240lbs. and get winded just going down the jet bridge!
Old Sep 18, 2004, 3:14 am

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Originally Posted by dlombard
I'm 5'6" and am probably in much better physical condition to lift the exit row door than many of the 6-footers I see, being that they're usually also 240lbs. and get winded just going down the jet bridge!
Hmm...I think he was referring to comfort level, not physical condition...
Old Sep 18, 2004, 12:49 pm

non-elites in Exit

My travel agent assigned me an exit row LAX-LHR. Didn't realize that it was "elite only" (I have no status on AA).

Think I'll get bumped out? I booked the ticket about 5 weeks ago, and the flight is this week - haven't seen any change in seating assignment yet.
Old Sep 18, 2004, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by electra
My travel agent assigned me an exit row LAX-LHR. Didn't realize that it was "elite only" (I have no status on AA).

Think I'll get bumped out? I booked the ticket about 5 weeks ago, and the flight is this week - haven't seen any change in seating assignment yet.
It's not really "elite only". It's just that only elites have availability to chose exit row seats at aa.com. I am a little surprised that your travel agent could do it for you even. But I don't see you getting bumped out. Enjoy!
Old Sep 18, 2004, 3:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Dunno if this makes you feel any safer, but I helped train 65 year old woman as a rescue diver...

Originally Posted by ExpoTrac
<snip>
As an aside, there was a 65+ woman in the exit window in front of me today from BOS to FLL...no way she would be able to open the exit. <snip>
Old Sep 18, 2004, 3:51 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by Jace
When elites choose an exit row you now get a confirmation screen:

Have a condition that might prevent you from performing evacuation functions or injure you while performing such functions
Do you accept the exit seat criteria for this entire reservation?

Interesting change...
Does Flying Transcon for 7 hours via DFW in coach with no food or time to collect food during 25 minute [No gate available]Transfer apply as a condition?
Old Sep 18, 2004, 3:53 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by ExpoTrac

As an aside, there was a 65+ woman in the exit window in front of me today from BOS to FLL...no way she would be able to open the exit. FA gave her a double take, but they made a comment that if "anyone wanted to be reseated, it would be on the wing, as the plane was full". So it's really good the FAA is making such a point of this!
What was the Senior First Class FA doing seated in coach
Old Sep 19, 2004, 12:16 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by dlombard
Uh, I was somewhat joking that is what = . It's not a physical issue that a shorter person coudn't handle the exit situation (most of the time) - it's about the comfort factor! I'm referring to the fact that I've boarded many an aircraft when I see 5' tall people taking up the exit row, when they could be equally comfortable in a regular seat.

If you are only 5'6", you don't have to worry about people reclining and breaking your knees. I do.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
They should also add a confirmation "You are at least 6' tall". I hate it when I see 5 footers sitting in the exit row and I've got to sit in LRTC. Luckily, I almost always upgrade or get exit row thanks to being Platinum.
OK, I'm sure this is a joke, right?

I'm 5'8" with 28" legs, and I ALWAYS get an exit row. Why? Because I'm a platinum, and I've earned it, that's why.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 2:19 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by MikeMargolis
OK, I'm sure this is a joke, right?

I'm 5'8" with 28" legs, and I ALWAYS get an exit row. Why? Because I'm a platinum, and I've earned it, that's why.
Hey, 5'8" is ok - I'm talking 5' or less!
Old Sep 19, 2004, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I always get assigned exit rows on the jungle jets. When tha FA comes around asking if I'm willing and able to open the emergency exit, my answer is "of course, and trust me, if we need to get out, I'll be the first one out!".
Old Sep 28, 2004, 2:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mwhitted
It's not really "elite only". It's just that only elites have availability to chose exit row seats at aa.com. I am a little surprised that your travel agent could do it for you even. But I don't see you getting bumped out. Enjoy!
My flights this weekend earned me Gold status, which was reflected at AA.com this morning. When I look at the seatmap for my upcoming reservations, I can see exit row seats and some other seats closer to the front that I could not before. However, I am unable to choose these seats.

I know on UA, when your status changes you have to get your MP# re-entered into your reservation to reflect the higher status. Do I have to do the same with AA, or is it some glitch that's keeping me from reserving the exit rows and other preferred seats?

TIA
Old Sep 28, 2004, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer
My flights this weekend earned me Gold status, which was reflected at AA.com this morning. When I look at the seatmap for my upcoming reservations, I can see exit row seats and some other seats closer to the front that I could not before. However, I am unable to choose these seats.

I know on UA, when your status changes you have to get your MP# re-entered into your reservation to reflect the higher status. Do I have to do the same with AA, or is it some glitch that's keeping me from reserving the exit rows and other preferred seats?

TIA
I had the same problem with my wife's profile when she got her PLT challenge; just call the GLD desk and they'll put it in for you -- and enter your upgrade request if you want.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 5:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
You haven't had the NAAzi we had BUF - ORD, who wasn't satisfied by a positive answer. She demanded to know if we had read the safety card, in its entirety, and when I replied "yes", she insisted I remove it from the seat pocket and look at it again. She was even harder on the chap across the aisle.

Originally Posted by Pickles
I always get assigned exit rows on the jungle jets. When tha FA comes around asking if I'm willing and able to open the emergency exit, my answer is "of course, and trust me, if we need to get out, I'll be the first one out!".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.