Wiki Posts
Search

Award travel to Port Moresby?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2004, 2:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Award travel to Port Moresby?

By the grace of God (or some higher power) I was just able to get two oneworld awards to Cairns in January, on the exact days I wanted (connecting through NRT on the way down and HKG on the way up).

Is there any way to get to Port Morseby (POM) on an award ticket on the Qantas codeshare with Air Niugini, either as an add-on to the oneworld award or as a within South Pacific partner award on QF?
Old Jul 20, 2004, 4:12 pm

Interesting question. Unfortunately I don't know the answer and would suggest you ring AAdvantage and ask - please report back. By way of pure speculation though, Air Niugini is an eligible partner of QF (FWIW) and they obviously get an allocation of award seats up there. In fact I checked the QF website and on the odd random date in January there is availability (at least from BNE to POM). QF no longer runs its own metal up there unfortunately.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 8:10 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
QF flies codeshares on Air Niugini to POM, so you may be able to score the award - be aware it is a popular destination for Australians, and many Americans who dive PNG's liveaboards also go that way (the rest use SQ via SIN.)

Be cautious if you are on the streets of POM - it is dangerous due to assaults, robberies, carjackings, you name it - POM is one of the most dangerous places I have visited, and I'm a war veteran. And there is chloroquine-resistant falcciparum malaria as well (and resistant to mefloquine / Lariam as well.)

DO check with AA or QF about the award travel. PX / QF codeshare fly a Fokker F100 daily on that route, a little over an hour. (BTW, underwater photographers have often been allocated additional baggage allowance on PX due to the annual u/w contest.)
Old Jul 20, 2004, 8:51 pm

I asked AA about POM award travel a couple of years ago, before the all-airline awards -- don't know if that makes a difference. They did allow the QF/PX codeshare flight for the award, but only from CNS, not from BNE or SYD.
Old Jul 22, 2004, 4:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eamus
Interesting question. Unfortunately I don't know the answer and would suggest you ring AAdvantage and ask - please report back. By way of pure speculation though, Air Niugini is an eligible partner of QF (FWIW) and they obviously get an allocation of award seats up there. In fact I checked the QF website and on the odd random date in January there is availability (at least from BNE to POM). QF no longer runs its own metal up there unfortunately.
Thanks for the assists, everyone. UNfortunately, there are no Qantas award seats on dates that work for my trip, so I won't be able to find out if they can be shaken loose as part of this routing. Guess I'm stuck paying $600 or so for the flight....
Old Jul 22, 2004, 9:33 pm

You might want to book directly on the QF web site. Often there are very discounted fares that aren't available if you book on aa.com.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 12:32 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i tried to get a mel-pom ticket for this last march to collect the country but was getting $800 fares....didn't think about awards...anyway,got the country on cruise that stopped in rabaul...good luck

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.