Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2004, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AA now offers BOSE QC2 headphones in F and J

Good news!

American Airlines Delivers Sweet Sounds to Premium Customers
Wednesday June 2, 2:02 pm ET
Customers Will Enjoy New Line of Bose(R) Headsets in First Class and Business Class to and From Japan, Europe, Asia, South America, and in First-Class on Select Transcon Flights

FORT WORTH, Texas, June 2 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Since American Airlines became the first and only airline to offer the Bose Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones in 1999, customers have raved about the service. Now American is pleased to offer the second-generation Bose headphones -- the Bose QuietComfort 2 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones -- to premium passengers in First Class and Business Class cabins; on long-haul flights to Europe, Asia, and deep South America; and on select First-Class transcon flights.
"Customers have provided such positive feedback about the headphones, so we're introducing the second-generation headphones to provide customers more of what they value," said Dan Garton, executive vice president-Marketing for American. "Passengers use them while listening to music, enjoying a movie, or even sleeping," Garton said.

The QuietComfort 2 headphones made their inflight debut on June 1 on American flights to and from Japan. Headphones on flights to and from Europe, and the Latin American cities of Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Santiago, and Rio de Janeiro will be phased in and completed by the end of August. The new headphones also will be featured in First Class on 767 transcon flights.

The QuietComfort 2 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones combine the same noise cancellation and comfort that transformed the headphone experience in flight, when American introduced the first generation Bose QuietComfort headphones in flight in 1999. The new headphones feature improved audio performance, stowability, ease-of-use and convenience. They electronically identify and reduce noise while preserving the music, speech or even silence that customers desire. The results produce a quality of sound that enhances the in-flight experience for American's customers.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040602/daw042_1.html

Nice touch, AA. Now improve the J seats.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 12:32 pm

just curious

does aa pay for the head phones or do they get them for free from bose?
Old Jun 2, 2004, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Nice if they "work" at all. Let's hope they are better maintained then the old ones.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 1:38 pm

My guess: AA pays Bose something, but nothing near what you and I would pay at retail. AA buys these things by the thousand -- just think how many it takes to equip all the 777s and 767s, plus have spares for loss/damage/etc.

Also, AA seems to provide Bose lots of advertising in AA on-board publications -- free or reduced-price placement, in exchange for a better deal on the headsets, I bet.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Funny, I was just thinking about what kind of deal AA got on the Bose. It's great marketing; I bought a pair.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 2:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime PLT, Silver EK Skywards
I ended up buying a pair also. Now I wonder what will happen to the old ones when they replace them with QC2s. I wouldn't mind getting a couple of used ones.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
I bought a pair too. Great for use in coach; sure beats those cheapies they pass out there. Even worked on some trains in Germany where you had a choice of 4 stations playing German music and conversation. Will also work on any other airline, and with an extension, your home stereo system.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by timfucius
I ended up buying a pair also. Now I wonder what will happen to the old ones when they replace them with QC2s. I wouldn't mind getting a couple of used ones.
I'm not sure you'd want one. The old ones are in pretty rough shape.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Question Will they look like mine?

I have my own pair. Will AA's headphones be distinguishable from an ordinary pair? Maybe with an AA logo on it?

I don't want to get in a situation where the FA thinks my headphones belong to AA.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 5:39 pm

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by ByrdluvsAWACO
I have my own pair. Will AA's headphones be distinguishable from an ordinary pair? Maybe with an AA logo on it?

I don't want to get in a situation where the FA thinks my headphones belong to AA.
My guess is that they will be black with an AA logo like their predecessors.

Some FA's even have a hard time distinguishing between a black pair with an AA logo on them (the ones AA distributes) and a silver pair (the ones Bose sells to the general public). A couple of times FA's gave me a dirty look when I wouldn't give them my personal pair. I would say "Silver.....mine......black with AA logo......AA.......Thank you."
Old Jun 2, 2004, 6:23 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by eagle92
My guess is that they will be black with an AA logo like their predecessors.

Some FA's even have a hard time distinguishing between a black pair with an AA logo on them (the ones AA distributes) and a silver pair (the ones Bose sells to the general public). A couple of times FA's gave me a dirty look when I wouldn't give them my personal pair. I would say "Silver.....mine......black with AA logo......AA.......Thank you."
The one's I've seen are silver, but have the AA logo. Only once have I had a FA confuse mine with theirs. She quickly realized, though, so all was good.

I've seen some that look like QC2 in terms of the ear cup size, but have the little battery pack, like a QC1. Not sure what they were.

Cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
I remember reading somewhere on AAFT that Bose gave the headsets free to AA for its premium cabin as a marketing tool. It's too bad that you can't get AA miles for buying them (or maybe you can??? Anyone have a link?). How durable are the QC2s? I have gone through three of the Aiwa ones, which work pretty well at $60 each, but am reluctant to trade up to the $300 Boses, given my history of breaking things while travelling.
Old Jun 2, 2004, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Originally Posted by CharlesMD
I remember reading somewhere on AAFT that Bose gave the headsets free to AA for its premium cabin as a marketing tool. It's too bad that you can't get AA miles for buying them (or maybe you can??? Anyone have a link?). How durable are the QC2s? I have gone through three of the Aiwa ones, which work pretty well at $60 each, but am reluctant to trade up to the $300 Boses, given my history of breaking things while travelling.
Buy the Bose headsets with a Citi AAdvantage Mastercard.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP/7.0MM
I can confirm QC2

It is true, the QC2 was distributed to us in J on the JFK-NRT flight today. The pair I got was brand new, still had the plastic bag taped around the plug and the twist-tie on the cable (I felt so special ). The carry case is based on the standard bose "tombstone" case, but it is grey with the AA logo and a clear plastic window (probably so the FA can confirm return and power off without opening the case). The other interesting thing was it came with 2 foil packets of "AA headphone cleaning wipes" in the case. I wonder if this indicates they won't be cleaned by AA or if it is just to allow pax to DIY.
The phones were standard color but had a fairly large AA logo on the earcups.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 6:32 am

AA now offers Bose QC2

On a 767 flight from FCO to JFK on Monday, I was given a headset with an unattached cushion on one of the earpieces. When I pointed this out to the FA, she then produced a spare set, but again, the same problem. I then was told I would have to make the best of it, as they had no other headsets. She also said this was a common problem, and was the reason why AA was replacing the current models. Somehow I managed to partially reattach the cushion so that I could use the headset.

I too had bought a pair after I was presented one on use a number of years ago on a 777.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.