Search

Domestic 777s: Why does AA fly a 777 DFW-ORD

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2004, 2:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Domestic 777s: Why does AA fly a 777 DFW-ORD

I was reading CMK10s trip report and noticed that he flew on a 777 between DFW and ORD. Why does AA have these flights? I assume they are repositioning aircraft or trying to make the most out of their 777s? Does this happen year-round? Is there any other domestic 777 flight in the AA system besides 66 DFW-ORD?
Old May 31, 2004, 3:29 am
sgm

Programs: BA Gold
I did LAX-DFW on a 777 in 2003.
Old May 31, 2004, 3:35 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
There's frequently one trolling between DFW-MIA... lands in Miami from S. America in the morning, does a DFW turnaround, and is back in MIA by evening for a return trip south.

Last edited by HKG_Flyer1; May 31, 2004 at 3:38 am
Old May 31, 2004, 3:39 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
The DFW-ORD is a flight to LHR, but since they can't fly to LHR directly from DFW there is a stop in ORD. Likewise I believe the DFW-MIA continues to somewhere in South America.

Edited to add: Looks like HKG_Flyer1 and I were typing at the same time.

Last edited by yyzflyer; May 31, 2004 at 3:43 am
Old May 31, 2004, 6:00 am

From what I have experienced, the 777 aircraft for DFW-ORD (flight 66) becomes the aircraft for ORD-LHR (flight 66)

The ORD-DFW 777 (flight 2347) was the inbound aircraft NRT-ORD -- at least the day that I flew NRT-ORD-DFW and wsa to head back to NRT the folowing morning following an overnight check.
Old May 31, 2004, 7:08 am

Programs: AA-EXP 3 Million Miler, HHonors Diamond (old school) Hertz Presidents Circle, CO-MM, now done.
The flight from DFW to MIA continues on to GIG.

It is sold as a three class service.

The first time that I flew it, I upgraded with stickers and requested one of the forward FC seats rather than business class.

The second time, I upgraded using a VIP to secure the same seat.

Both times, I was successfully assigned the Flagship type seat, but someone caught it and demoted me to Business.

The agents think I'm nuts for flying STL-DFW, sitting around for four hours to fly on a 777.
Old May 31, 2004, 7:48 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jaguar99

Interesting, because the MIA-DFW 777 is sold as a two class service. The Business seats are used for premier members in coach. I've upgraded this flight the two times I've flown it, and this is into the FC seats.

I wonder why it's three class in one direction and two in the other...

Cheers.
Old May 31, 2004, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat
I recently flew SAN-DFW-ORD, the latter half of the journey in FC on flight 66. I highly recommend it taking advantage of FC on any "2-class" 777, even if you have to go out of your way to do it!

Aaron G.
Old May 31, 2004, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, AA Plat, Hyatt Plat
I recently flew the ORD-DFW on the 777. I asked the pursuer why they operated such a big aircraft on that route, and she said that it was primarily due to cargo.
Old May 31, 2004, 2:15 pm

I don't know why, but I'm glad it is, I'm flying it in first in two weeks. Looking forward to it
Old May 31, 2004, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
Originally Posted by jaguar99

The first time that I flew it, I upgraded with stickers and requested one of the forward FC seats rather than business class.

The second time, I upgraded using a VIP to secure the same seat.

Both times, I was successfully assigned the Flagship type seat, but someone caught it and demoted me to Business.
Yes, my boyfriend just flew that flight this morning (flight 1614). He's PLT and upgraded using a complimentary upgrade from a Y fare. He called me pretty excited from his Flagship seat, and sent me a video too

It looks like that flight (DFW to MIA) is sold as two-class. When I checked on available seats on AA's web site, it showed up as not having a business class. The normally-business-class seats showed up in coach.

I don't know if his getting an upgrade all the way to first on the domestic leg had anything to do with the fact that he's flying business (on a two-class flight) to UIO.

I'll have to keep my eyes open for these 777's in the future. I connect through ORD a lot
Old May 31, 2004, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5 Star PC
I just flew AA 66 from DFW to ORD on Sunday. It does continue on to LHR. It is sold as 2 classes and elites get business seats (not service) and you can upgrade to first. The crew that took us to ORD does not continue on to LHR. They do have IFE, but no personal videos. Food is standard domestic first. It was an interesting flight as the Captain was retiring that day after 31 years of service. It was his second to last flight as he was making the turn in ORD and then going home for the last time. He has his 2 daughters on the flight with him.
Old May 31, 2004, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 3 Million Miler, HHonors Diamond (old school) Hertz Presidents Circle, CO-MM, now done.
The next time that I fly DFW to MIA, I'll have to challenge them a little more.

Each time I was initially booked by the EXP desk in one of the FS seats.

Upon check in for my originating commuter flight, they couldn't change the seat, nor in STL or DFW. The EXP desk told me twice that it was a three class flight, as did agents in STL and DFW.

Oh well.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The repositioning flights (LAX-DFW, ORD-DFW, MIA-DFW) help maintain efficient aircraft utilization as well as help get the crews where they need to be. Additionally, the 777s are shuttled through DFW in part so they can bring in some revenue while flying to their maintenance base at Alliance Fort Worth (AFW).
Old Jun 1, 2004, 11:51 am

Programs: Mediocre AA Stew
The DFW-MIA evening 777 service has been changed to two class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.