Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic 777s: Why does AA fly a 777 DFW-ORD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Some of us remember flying an AA DC-10 between ORD and -- are you sitting down?-- SYR.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 12:29 pm
LLZ

Originally Posted by guv1976
Some of us remember flying an AA DC-10 between ORD and -- are you sitting down?-- SYR.
Even shorter, DFW-AUS...AA operated DC10s and 767s back in the late 80's on that route.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by LLZ
Even shorter, DFW-AUS...AA operated DC10s and 767s back in the late 80's on that route.
yes, the old days of 2-class domestic 767's. one of them would usually overnight in AUS.
popular for usage on LGA-DFW when LGA slots were much scarcer.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 3:22 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jaguar99
The flight from DFW to MIA continues on to GIG.

It is sold as a three class service.

The agents think I'm nuts for flying STL-DFW, sitting around for four hours to fly on a 777.
^ I've done the same exact thing. Much better than a crappy MD-80 or 757.

I've had so many different reactions from wise arse GAs. Don't let them bother you.
Old Jun 1, 2004, 9:07 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by guv1976
I even remember flying these birds on the barely-100-mile SAN/LAX flights. American used to run not only 3-cabin DC-10s, but 757s and 767s on this route.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:35 pm

Location: , The postings of mine are my opinions solely and do not reflect the opinions of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
They are used for repositioning and I would assume hub routes,
I work for United and widebodies are a normal part of our domestic schedule. We use 777 for many domestic routes from our hubs. There are also 777 on non hubs, like ORD-SEA or DEN-SEA. This aircraft positions itself for SEA-NRT. We even use 747s on domestic routes!
Old Jun 3, 2004, 4:53 pm
kjh

My own experience (primarily weekends) is that the 777 aircraft that flys DFW-LAX (AA2421) does a quick turnaround and flys right back to DFW (AA2446) an hour later with the same cabin crew (no repositioning for LHR or NRT). Interestingly, frequently these flight are oversold and the GAs are seeking volunteers to go later, so AA seems be able to fill them up.
Old Jun 3, 2004, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kjh
My own experience (primarily weekends) is that the 777 aircraft that flys DFW-LAX (AA2421) does a quick turnaround and flys right back to DFW (AA2446) an hour later with the same cabin crew (no repositioning for LHR or NRT). Interestingly, frequently these flight are oversold and the GAs are seeking volunteers to go later, so AA seems be able to fill them up.
Most days, you're right, it just turns around. But sometimes the plane is swapped for one of the LHR 777s or the NRT 777 so those planes can get to AFW for maintenance.

That the NRT-LAX plane is not the same aircraft as the LAX-NRT aircraft (and the LAX-LHR planes don't just turn around either) helps makes this work.
Old Jul 1, 2004, 6:45 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, UA PE
On Tuesday night I took AA2345: a 777 from ORD to DFW. Fantastic! I sat in Business (J?) but it was serviced as Y. Who cares!

Of course it is because of FT that I thought to look for the widebody service AND try to book in J, Thanks FT.

I will be making a number of trips on this route in the upcoming months. I think I am going to look forward to these trips!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.