Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get "UNLIMITED" AA miles for less than $0.01 per mile

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2004, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
why not? that';s 3k aa miles you just lost because they screwed up your order or their own internal points posting.

or did they? Did you fall within the 6-8 period and so it was OK, or is it because they made their s=mistakes on your dime?

If the latter, I would pursue it if only to prevent such losses on your and other's time in the fture. if the former, then I suppose it would be a known chance-taking risk to have ordered from a company who posts two months out.

but remember, 3k adds up...
I'd still try. call kristina Koziel. Her number in one of the recent posts. she is points person at FTD.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:01 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Didn't close Sharebuilder, but

My S.O. received both the 5000 Anything Points and $50 for opening Sharebuilder. Yesterday, transfered the $50 back to her checking account so $1 of Lucent left in there.

I, on the other hand, am waiting for my 550 MyPoints and not receiving the $50, as they said that my affiliation is through MyPoints. This, even though I signed up through eBay/Metarewards, as shown by copies of the screen prints and the fact that I went to set up another Sharebuilder through the Metarewards and it said I had already completed this offer. Extremely poor Customer Service and no ability to correct even the simplest of mistakes, they claim that the MyPoints cookie on my computer did this. Funny, it didn't do that with any other eBay/Metarewards offer that MyPoints also has as a merchant. Glad I only risked $5, can't see trusting a company like that with more $.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Anyone who ends up with a large Anything Points balance from later postings should note the new Points.com Asia Miles conversion rate.

Also - 1000 Anything Points = 1125 Asia Miles.

Asia Miles are valuable!
60,000 Asia Miles = business RT USA-Europe.
They can also be used for one-way tickets or upgrades on almost all of their partners.

For anyone with a significant Anything Points balance, Asia Miles is the way to go.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

tally?

I am geting emails about people's point losses (never posted or no bonus due to errors in systems)

maybe it would help if everyone who is interested do this:

email me, PM me or post right here how many points and for which places you are missing them.

For example, you could post:

FTD - 1,000 missing points and bonus
Sharebuilder - 5,000 got the points but no bonus

that would help when I call the culprits this week.

MM

http://www.theothersideoftraveling.com
[email protected]
Old Jul 13, 2004, 5:51 pm

Okay. I'll start...

Two people in this household are missing:

Sharebuilder- 5,000 points each- no points nor bonus.

Last edited by bigeyes1; Jul 16, 2004 at 6:15 pm
Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:09 pm

Angry

I'll go next.

5000 Missing Sharebuilder points.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2mm), SPG Gold
Missing 950 from entertainment.com
Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

keep going people...

on here, just from 3 people, I already see colective losses of over 22,000 AA miles! That does not count all who have emailed me just last nite. (consider that figure is well over 70k right now) and all who have yet to tell, and all who emailed me before yesterday...

So who has these missing miles anyway? Richard Prior?

Keep tallying!

Gee, don't you wish you could have a % of some of this mileage? It was free for somebody and someobdy else did ALLLLL the work...

get pissed off, get on the PHONE (email does not work) and keep fighting! I encourage this endlessly.

Keep tallying!...
-MM
never give up.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:03 am
Original Member

Programs: AA- Lifetime Platinum; Marriott - Lifetime Platinum: Starwood - Gold; IHG - Platinum
Thanks for keeping score, MM! I am missing the bonus for Premier Health Plus (1000) and Ancestry (1400) I also never received points or double points for Experian credit report (1500 x 2). That's about 5400 miles I'd still like to get.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

finally there is hope (and light at the end of a tunnel)

People of FT:

You will all get your points, the bonus that should have been, and then some...

I just spoke on the phone to two major entities and boy do they know about us!

This morning I talked to AA and Points.com live.

I informed AA that a fraud-like thing was going on with partner promos that failed to give miles to people who fly the airline. I explained it as such:

If an AA customer who knows how to do these promos follows all rules but something goes wrong in them that is not their fault, then they get upset. I told them I know of at least 50 such people who feel they were ripped off of several thousand points and miles last month. I went on to say that if they fail to receive points that turn into miles, as a result, they dont like the businesses involved, or the airline as a whole--just for being involved with it! Surely you would be interested in finding out who made that error, how to fix it and how to prevent it from happening again. Surely you would not want to lose that customer. I told them I knew of at least 50+ people who lost a combined several hundred thousand miles. (I figure that is possible here, although I dont know any exact numbers.)

They were interested to say the least. Then the Advantage CS person I was talking to put me on hold for quite a while because I told her the web site link and told her it was all in there. She understood the problem but said she wanted to look and show it to those involved with security in this area right away. I was on hold for so long, I knew their securities department was skimming the web site at that moment. The agent came back telling me exactly that, and mentioned that she wanted to thank me for bringing this to the airlines attention. She said they will look further and will call me back directly on my cell phone. She also noted that there have been other emails and call s on this problem and ones like it, but that the site helps explain the issue. That was my intent. She said the airline does not like to be involved in situations where such wrong-doing had occurred. I explained to her that we have all been trying to get the straight answer for weeks now and we keep getting put off by the likes of MetaRewards, Sharebuilder, Points.com and Ebay, etc. I said that if something on my site was false or needed to be clarified, this obviously has to do with the very fact that no one has bothered to get back to us with real answers. And that is why I had to take this to the next level and notify the airline. I told her it went out to several others including the BBB and WSJ, which it did. I am not trying just to toot my own horn, but you all know that this kind of thing needs full explanation and so having a site dedicated to it has helped do just that.

But the real kicker was Points.com, who I called next. I spoke with Joanne who understood and sympathized with the entire problem. She assured me the company IS aware of everything and wants to fix it. I explained several examples such as ones where husband and wife couples both sign up for things like Sharebuilder or FTD, etc on the same day but that only one person gets the points, $50 and bonus, and the other gets nothing except email runarounds. I cited several others seen in this thread. I knew she was sincere and she knew of the website as well but then she told me Lissa Romano (no relation to Ray Romano from Everybody Loves Raymond, btw) was now available and so she put me right through to her.

Lissa and I had a pleasant but through conversation. She assured me that the company is going to fix this and will find a way to both post points and also try to come up with something to make up for the lost bonuses. She spoke of ways to additionally compensate just for us all having this problem to begin with. I assured her my accts were fine but that my whole point was to make this easy for me, and for all those who share such promos with me (all you fine people in FT). That way we can more confidently do business with them and these partners or airlines in the first place! She totally understood.

I then suggested that what she should do is tell every single one of youevery person who emails or callsthe exact same things she just assured me of. She indicated she would contact every single person herself in the coming days/weeks to do this. She also said that it is something of an issue that people cannot contact Ebay and for this, she said points.com is really working on a better way.

I believe them at this conjecture, because for me, the parts of Points.com that does work are these:

1) When you have points in there, they do port over to the airline and this happened for me and most people I talked to with no error.
2) You can actually contact CS and management will speak with you, and they seem to be live, real people who try to do something.
3) She has admitted to errors.

I then closed by thanking her and suggesting that the site will go down or change its focus, as will all these angry customers, the moment everyone has what is rightfully due to them. I will actually change the site once this happens if it ever really does.

And that is where I need your help:

I wish to continue to be MM who posts this and that and wants to get miles just like everyone else does, but I now wish to make my site into something more of a service. Like the sites of Tim Winship, Gleff or Pgary, etc my site aims to be a resource for those needing mile information. As I said in earlier instances, the site will mostly focus on how to actually GET the miles due, and this situation was a prime example. If you have stories or horrors, let me know and I will try to post them and maybe they will get heard too! Suggestions are welcome and I will soon try to add more than just bold text and babble MM style. I will try to make this thing be about common issues, things to look out for, steps to take to get or account for miles and points, and the like. Over time it could be useful to us all and could also be useful as a way to show airlines and companies partnering with them that we are watching them just as they may be watching us. Everyone will get credit too. So if you have a story to tell, email me or tell it here.
My site will also always mention that fact that FT is why I know things to begin with. I started with FFF, the other forum, which I still go to every day, and so both forums have taught me much about how miles work. But the passion with which I do my thing is from me, and so are the ways I communicate or the fact that I have always been one to try to get to the bottom of things. I am a man of principle and so if it is for 5,000 or just 5 points, it matters.

After all, miles, as we know, are NOT free!

My site hopes to be a way to get these companies and airlines to NOT screw up or screw around, and to answer the phone and be accountable as Points.com is only now saying they plan to be! I want it to be a sort of resource center for those who need the info. I figure I will mention other sites because thats where you get miles or sign up for things, but mine hopes to morph into a sort of help center if you will. I hope I helped you and also helped these companies fix their own problems. So in doing all this, I would also like to let them know who helped prod this along I certainly did not do this aloneI do not take full or even half or one third the credit for this if it works out for everyone NO, that is NOT my intent here. It is not about ego or money here either. I am, however, noting that the site was a good way to show what can happen and how to better communicate this type of thing. So if it works for your needs in these areas mentioned herein, I would greatly appreciate all those who could forward a mention to the people with whom you speak, if that is applicable in your particular case. In other words, if appropriate, kindly let them know that the site and its owner (me) did in fact help you out That is, if it did. If the airline or points.com or Ebay or FTD, etc say they will finally help you, and I played any part in this working out that way, please tell them about me. Itll save me some effort trying to go it alone.

I actually would LIKE to work there in those industries myself and be the guy who makes sure this stuff works for everyone (self included) for the next time! And there WILL be a next time! I would like to be a sort of points liaison or communicator between people like the average FT-er who has no time to chase down missing miles, and the companies who send out these often badly managed promos. I would like to be the advocate but also have some backing or credibility to do so. I have experience in marketing and promos, publishing and events, but I dunno how to turn this and the miles passion into a viable job just yet. Figuring that there is or should be one for this sort of stuff, I figure that like many of you, I am much more qualified than many of the jokers currently working on these things. They botched it up after all! Where the heck are your miles?!#%@(&#^%!#~*&^!!!

So call it a plug, call it what you will, but I want to make the miles world a better place and I feel I have the ability to do this. I will try on my own in each new scam that comes my way anyway, so why not make it easier to make me work for you with some clout? Thats all I am asking. If this is not appropriate or cannot be done by people, that is fine. I still plan to try the above anyway just as I said I would. And who knows maybe next time you have miles issues, it is me, or my site or something like it that gets them coming thru. If someone else makes one, thats all the better. We need more things on our side. Signing up for promos and sitting back waiting is one thing. But persistence, consistency, thoroughness and communication is how we actually GET these miles! Shall we make that an easier process?

MM

(now lets hope this crap actually works!)

I now suggest everyone email points.com cs your story or how many miles you are missing. include phone number and other details. Let them know what you expect. For example, if you are missing 950 Entertainment points and you would have made the bonus date cut off under normal conditions, use the double + 25% calculation to figure out what you would have earned and tell Points.com they owe it all your way. You can still use their web site calculating thing to figure out how many EAP points tunr into how many AA miles. You can then figure out what you are due that way. You would be due the 950 points in your EAP (paypal account) but at this point, they should make this process easier for us all as well. This figure would convert to X AA miles, as discovered on points.com using the converter tool, and then double that, and then 25% of the original, all added together.

Same for sharebuilder, etc. But if a promo was not really going to post in time (you may have signed up for FTD on June 10, for example) then you would not expect those points yet. But mainly this affects those who did get the points but no bonus, or should have gotten both but never have. Email them! DO it today.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...and HERE is where to send that email!

[email protected]

Lissa just called me back and explained the following:

1) everyone missing any points from the AA ebay promo is to send her their user name, name, tel number, ebay id and list of what points are missing and the bonus expected.

She personally will post the double bonus and 25% ASAP. She will also contact each person who is valid and who does this.

be nice but do it now

we won!
MM

I will also send my emails of people who emailed me. SO if you want, I will forward your info (no need to give me all detals, just real name and points missing)
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
This is great news! Thank You, MM!

I was still missing ShareBuilder 5000 points. Thought not to burden MM too much, I did send my own email the past weekend to Points Lissa over their mail system but got no response. Just read MM's post today with her personal email, I just sent another email with all the info and attached my previous message. Hopefully she will give me a personal response.

MM, I also sent you another pm to make it both a FT group and my personal action. We shall not give up easily!

lin821
Old Jul 16, 2004, 5:34 pm

Angry I Don't ^&(^*&*ing Believe This!!

MM, thank you for all your hard work taking up the cudgel for us!

Well, I heard belatedly (about 2-1/2 weeks late) from Jude today, and this is the first time I've ever heard this one:

"According to Sharebuilder, you already received a $50 cash bonus and
are
therefore not eligible for the promotion from Ebay Anythingpoints.

If you feel that is incorrect, please contact Sharebuilder directly
regarding this situation. Their toll free # is 1-866-SHRBLDR

Please note, Metareward is a liason between offer partners(such as
Sharebuilder) and Ebay Anythingpoints. We are not authorized to credit
a
users account until we have received approval from the offer partner.

If you have any further questions/concerns, please do not hesitate to
contact me,

Jude"

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't about a gazillion and one of you get both the 5K points AND the $50?? I sure heard from a lot of people who did. And now he says because I got the $50 I'm ineligible for the 5K?? Did anyone read anything about the two items being mutually exclusive? Am I losing it?

I wrote to him and told him that I knew personally of several who got both, and since their writeup did not indicate anywhere that the two items were mutually exclusive, that it's not only bait-and-switch, it's discriminatory.

I demanded my 5K miles. I wrote Lissa earlier this week, but have not heard anything back from her.

Any ideas about what I can do to fight this blatantly unfair edict?

--Cat
Old Jul 16, 2004, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, 1 MM
email from Lissa Romano at points.com

I received the following canned response from Lisa Romano at points.comtoday:

----- Original Message -----
To: [Mormik]
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2004 7:35 PM
Subject: RE: points missing from NYT promo

Hello

Thank you for forwarding your information regarding the issues with the posting of your eBay Anything points through the various promotions with eBay directly. As a result of this problem, you were not able to take advantage of the previous promotion through points.com, which would have given you double bonus miles for each exchange initiated.

I understand that most of you have received the eBay Anything points promised and are now wondering what points.com can do for you with regards to the AA promotion. We are currently reviewing the information you have provided and are validating your information against the criteria to ensure you qualify for the promotion.

At which time if the information is valid and you qualify, you will be asked to perform the exchange for the value you received during the eBay promotion. Your exchange details will then be submitted and the miles you would have received during the promotion will be posted. Please note that since the promotion has ended, the posting of the bonus miles is a manual process and will take longer to post into each of your accounts.

On behalf of points.com, we would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences this has caused and assure you that this is not a reflection of how points.com operates. We value your memberships and hope that your next experience with us is a more positive one.

I invite you to contact me with any further concerns with this issue or if any issues arise in the future, you have my contact information and contact me directly. Unfortunately, I will be on vacation for the next two weeks however, you can contact our support center at 1-866-340-3717 or email at [email protected] and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you or at least direct you to someone who can. I have updated each of my staff members with your issues so they will be able to assist you with your questions.

Have a pleasant weekend!

Warmest Regards,

Lissa Romano

Manager, Customer Delight

Points.com

Last edited by Mormik; Jul 16, 2004 at 7:53 pm Reason: to fix quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

double dupe is double trouble! SO I say fight harder!

Although I buy some of what Lissa is sellin' here, having spoken to her directly a few times, I dont like it one bit. And now she is on vacation for two weeks and we have to wait again?

NOOOOO.
'Sorry, sister, doesn t work that way for me!!! You got me mad again with THAT email!

And, that is the whole problem, Ms. Lissa at Points.com!!! DUH! Doncha get it??!!

Don't TELL us that... Dont say "oh, unfortunately I am going to have days off while you wait longer"

Geesh! Her email hardly touched on our collective concerns, eh?

Yep, you got it way wrong, Lissa! Instead, you must assure us that you believe we ARE all valid receipients and stop harping on making that the focus of your overly professional babble and then simply tell us the MILES are coming to us all--as well as revealing exactly WHEN this is going to occur!

GOOD GRIEF! I mean you screwed us up, so why the continued convenient cover up?

Do this first, Lissa, and THEN go away and enjoy yourself--after you work for what you owe!!!!! (I wonder if Lissa is flying to her vacation... I wonder if whatever miles she gains during her trip will actually post to her ontime?)

I lean over to once again thinking they just do not know how to get it. The email is all marketing speak and no real talk about FIXING the promo. It is well-written and professional, but that's my point: It should be more in LANGUAGE THAT CUSTOMERS LIKE TO HEAR, NOT MANAGEMENT, and say things like: YOU WILL GET YOUR POINTS ON "X" DATE and facts like that. I am dissapointed and I thought she could and would do a lot better. I really feel almost duped again! This one assures me that in their best efforts, they still cannot grasp the concept of everything.

My suggestion:

All people affected by this should once again fire away more emails to them right now. I say each person in here do this now. Show a raise of hands and tell me who has yet to get any miles from their missing points?

Tell all, tell your friends, and tell everyone who no longer even looks in here because they think there is no chance of recovering missing miles from pre-June 30 to get out there and do nothing short of spamming that inbox of our friend lissa and her CS department while she is away so that when she comes home, her IT department head quietly takes her asside and asks her to fix whatever problem is causing all these emails to come in so heavily. They may even demand it.

[email protected]
also CC to:
[email protected]
and:
Lissa Romano
Manager, Customer Delight
Points International Ltd.
Fax: 416.596.3268

Maybe fax in printouts of your offers too.
I had suggested points.com do something more like this pasted in from my recent email to her below. This is part of that email:

Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2004 1:30 AM
To: Lissa Romano
Subject: Jeff Filipov's email (1) concerning 7/14
tel conversation and
EAP points promo (6/30)

Hello Lissa,

Thank you again for taking the time to talk at
great lengths with me, a customer really who
cares about promotions, but believes they should
be done right in ordr to gain any business or
loyalty on any end!! Dont just fix it for THIS
time... Assure people it is really better than
ever from now on! Human intervention is key.

I have told others to contact you as you
mentioned they should do, and I suppose they are
doing so as we speak.

I find that many of these people are concerned
with the same things:

1) Many are currently without their initial
points or bonus points from Sharebuilder and the
missing 5,000 points that company is supposed to
send to one's Ebay Anything Points account to
have yet to show up. Jude from MetaReward, also
listed at the time on the EAP pages, totally
dropped the ball and that is really wrong. If you
manage any of this scheme with Ebay and its
partners, then you know that people and companies
like Jude are making you look bad! If not, find
out who does please and let me go after them, as
you know I will.

But in the meantime, miles are needed by your
customers! And some never got that initial
sharebuilder or other partner-promissed award! I
gather you have the power to help them get their
points and miles right now and that ability
should exist as a system override in case of
future erros, glitches or emergencies. I am sure,
therefore, that you are willing to help
Sharebuilder and its parent or partner with EAP
to get these points, or prod the appropriate
sources to discover and repost these missing
points for people at this time.

2) other companies that had been listed in the
EAP promo pages from april to June 30, 2004
should be looked into. FTD for example, failed
for many. So have others and you will see their
emails in the coming days. Please do reply to
them all and let me see your response to anyone.

3) getting both the missing miles for things that
points.com members signed up for but never saw
any points come in, AND the double bonus at the
exhange rate that was available up until June
30!! AND the 25% bonus when converting to AA
miles! People want what they should have/would
have had--especially in lieu of all this hard
work to frustratingly fix it! I hope your email
is really good and makes everyone feel like you
will really come thru for them ASAP! It sounded
like you would, so they wait to see... Some might
have tried to do the calculations for you (EAP to
AA conversion rate, then double, then 25% of the
original amount, but if that rate has changed,
kindly remind them of this and re-calculate all
to the value that existed on June 30.

[I went on with other things you have all heard but they really need a points-to-consumer liaison and they dont even realize it! (Sprint, for example, only has one, I found out. Long story but that's for UAL anyway. Just goes to show ya though!)]

As for Sharebuilder and Jude at Meta, yes I did participate and receive BOTH the 5,000 points from doing the trade and having a new account with the service, AND I later called in and got the OK for the $50 bonus! IT came to my account a while later (maybe a couple weeks?) and then I transferred this money out leaving about $3.50 in the still open but "turned off" account!

YOU CAN DO BOTH!!!!!

I suggest sending Jude my web site link because I just highlighted this problem in the page 7 demands and have reposted that page on the site. I also sent this site link to American asking them to investigate fraud on some of the partners who are linked to their likeness here.

Remember people, we are STILL not out of the woods but close. And I actually trusted them! I dunno now... SO keep fighting! she did not send that email to everyone yet! And WHAT DATE do we get the points???!?!?!

http://www.theothersideoftraveling.com

keep going! We are close and I think Lissa may eventually come thru but right now, she needs--her company needs--more prodding along!

MM
Make her feel like a Red Sox fan after the Yankees won game 7!

Last edited by Marathon Man; Jul 16, 2004 at 8:49 pm Reason: wrong!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.