Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: American oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by thexfactor
I know that changing from a one-world award to a partner award triggers a change fee. What about vice versa, i.e. partner (AS) to one-world (US/AA)?

ETA:

To clarify, I believe there are three different scenarios I need clarification on:

1. From a one-world carrier to a partner award, e.g. BA to LY
1b. and vice versa, e.g. BA to LY and LY to BA.

2. From an all AA award to a partner award, e.g. AA to AS
2b. and vice versa, e.g. AS to AA.

3. From an all AA award to a one-world carrier, e.g. AA to BA
3b. and vice versa, e.g. BA to AA.

I believe that 1 requires change fee, though not sure about 1b.

Also, not sure on 2, 2b, 3, and 3b.
The change fee is waived if your origin and destination stay the same, and are switching carriers within the oneworld alliance. Anytime you're changing to or from partner carriers outside of oneworld, then the change fee will be due.

1/1b: change fee due
2/2b: change fee due
3/3b: no change fee
Old Sep 9, 2014, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The change fee is waived if your origin and destination stay the same, and are switching carriers within the oneworld alliance. Anytime you're changing to or from partner carriers outside of oneworld, then the change fee will be due.

1/1b: change fee due
2/2b: change fee due
3/3b: no change fee
Thanks much.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 4:30 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Have you looked at MH they have a direct flight from IST to KUL and you can fly on from there.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, United, AAdvantage
Need clarification on Award Ticket Change rules

I have a RT award ticket with outbound as DAY-CLT-IAD-AUH-DEL on US and EY. I have inbound ticket as DEL-DOH-PHL-DAY on Qatar.

Now, I want to try CX and since it opens some award seats few days before travel, I want to make changes few days before travel. Will this involve any change fees since new itinerary DEL-HKG-JKF/ORD-DEL will be 2 awards?

Also, if I can push this and do a layover in BKK for 2 days(I know its not free), is there any way I can get away without paying the change fees. Any thoughts? TIA
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by animesh42001
I have a RT award ticket with outbound as DAY-CLT-IAD-AUH-DEL on US and EY. I have inbound ticket as DEL-DOH-PHL-DAY on Qatar.

Now, I want to try CX and since it opens some award seats few days before travel, I want to make changes few days before travel. Will this involve any change fees since new itinerary DEL-HKG-JKF/ORD-DEL will be 2 awards?

Also, if I can push this and do a layover in BKK for 2 days(I know its not free), is there any way I can get away without paying the change fees. Any thoughts? TIA
Slow down and try again.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Slow down and try again.
Sorry if I was not that clear. I will try to be more clearer:

RT award tickets on AA miles.
a. Outbound- DAY-CLT-IAD-AUH-DEL (On US airways and Etihad) on 20th Nov.
b. Inbound- DEL-DOH-PHL-DAY (on Qatar)- on 9th DEC 2014. All in business.

Now, I have 2 scenarios and just want to see if these will involve award ticket change fees:

1. If I change my inbound to DEL-HKG-JFK/ORD-DAY (This will be via pacific thus will need 2 awards). I am fine with 2 awards.

2. If I change my inbound to DEL-BKK (Layover)- BKK-HKG-JFK/ORD-DAY. Can I do that without incurring any change fees.

Technically, my origin and destination will be same but it will be 2 awards. TIA.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:03 am
Suspended

Sorry if I was not that clear. I will try to be more clearer:

RT award tickets on AA miles.
a. Outbound- DAY-CLT-IAD-AUH-DEL (On US airways and Etihad) on 20th Nov.
b. Inbound- DEL-DOH-PHL-DAY (on Qatar)- on 9th DEC 2014. All in business.

Now, I have 2 scenarios and just want to see if these will involve award ticket change fees:

1. If I change my inbound to DEL-HKG-JFK/ORD-DAY (This will be via pacific thus will need 2 awards). I am fine with 2 awards.

2. If I change my inbound to DEL-BKK (Layover)- BKK-HKG-JFK/ORD-DAY. Can I do that without incurring any change fees.

Technically, my origin and destination will be same but it will be 2 awards. TIA.
Thanks for clarifying, much easier this way!

1. the change to 2 awards triggers the fee (plus the additional miles, needless to say)

2. will also require a fee, and will require 2 awards compared to one as you have it now.

Once you change 2 two awards per direction, the origin and destination staying the same language is moot.

I'd say, if all is ticketed in business, you scored some pretty sweet awards there as-is!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Thanks for clarifying, much easier this way!

1. the change to 2 awards triggers the fee (plus the additional miles, needless to say)

2. will also require a fee, and will require 2 awards compared to one as you have it now.

Once you change 2 two awards per direction, the origin and destination staying the same language is moot.

I'd say, if all is ticketed in business, you scored some pretty sweet awards there as-is!
Thanks for your thoughts, really appreciate that.. Yes all are ticketed in business so I believe I will not touch this. May be will try CX some other time.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:22 am
Suspended

Thanks for your thoughts, really appreciate that.. Yes all are ticketed in business so I believe I will not touch this. May be will try CX some other time.
Maybe one-way-- especially if CX F opens up! And since it also gives you the stop in BKK you desire. But, otherwise, I'd say those awards are pretty nice.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, AY Gold
There's something really weird about booking AAdvantage award flights to North America. I've been making dummy bookings from HEL to various cities on the northeast coast of the USA. Each time I get a lot of availability: AA, AB, BA, US. I filter BA out because of the ridiculous taxes and am still left with many great options.

However, all of these options return a "not available message", with the exception of flights involving AB. I've tried many dates in October, many cities, same result. What's the deal with this?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Layover

I want to fly oneway BKK-HND-HIJ on JL.
If there are available connections at HND within 6 hours, do I need to take the connection flight or can I take an available flight the next day within 24 hours to make it only one oneway award?
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I want to fly oneway BKK-HND-HIJ on JL.
If there are available connections at HND within 6 hours, do I need to take the connection flight or can I take an available flight the next day within 24 hours to make it only one oneway award?
If JL has a published through fare (not a constructed fare) BKK-HIJ that allows the HND routing, then any scheduled departure HND-HIJ not more than 24 hours from scheduled arrival BKK-HND should work to keep this a single one-way award.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Too bad you weren't US CP using dividend miles. Free award changes. (Or is that a casualty of the merger?)
Old Sep 24, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by scottsam66
Too bad you weren't US CP using dividend miles. Free award changes. (Or is that a casualty of the merger?)
AA EXP using AAdvantage miles get free award changes too. (So perhaps bringing up the merger is a complete red herring?)
Old Sep 26, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Is LAX-NRT(Asia 1)-BKK (Asia 2) oneway award valid routing?
I just want to connect at NRT (or KIX) instead of HKG routing if possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.