Wiki Posts
Search

Lousy FA: It'd Been A While

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold, Delta Silver Medallion, Hyatt Discoverist

Guess the percentages catch up with you if you fly enough, but it'd been a while since I had a crappy flight attendant. On my American Eagle #3527 YUL-JFK run yesterday, mine was just short of being outright surly. No eye contact when I got on. Rather than ask me if I wanted something to drink, I looked up from my reading to see her staring darts at me before I could ask for a Diet Coke. Then she handed me the cup and can rather than putting it on the tray. When I thanked her, no acknowledgment. Never did I see a smile. When I said goodbye while deplaning, blank stare. I get it. Job's not as glamorous as it looks, especially on the regionals. But I've almost always found service met or exceeded expectations. Maybe she had a long day. but that didn't make her unique. Bottom line: most FA's rise to the occasion. If you can't manage that, there are thousands of others who want to do what you do. If a modicum of courtesy is not in your DNA, you are very much in the wrong line of work.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
You put your finger on a particularly relevant issue, and I'll expand a bit.

If you have imagined an FA job as providing glamorous travel opportunities and meeting well-traveled, wealthy potential partners, and feel this is just a lark - plus really don't have a love for customer service, you'll be very disappointed.

The larger problem is that, like civil service and tenure, union contract jobs provide both job security and pay increases based on seniority - and a genuine dilemma: if you hate the job, you're stuck because you'll start at the lowest rung in the ladder if you go elsewhere.

In working over the years with many employee groups, including union groups, this can create increasing levels of dissatisfaction and poor performance. But if minimum standards are met or there is poor supervision and evaluation, you'll stay and inflict yourself on customers and fellow employees - until you retire as a used-up, sour she'll of who you might have been.

Fortunately, many FAs on flights I've flown don't meet this characterization - but a few unfortunately have.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT

My .02. Without getting into Omni area, their jobs tend to be more secured, takes a lot for them to loose their job, hence the motivation to excel is not there.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by arollins
My .02. Without getting into Omni area, their jobs tend to be more secured, takes a lot for them to loose their job, hence the motivation to excel is not there.
Without leadership, clear expectations, accountability and community values, they're left to their personal values, such as they are, good, bad or indifferent. That's typical of these kinds of work situations.

Here, we probably get more reports on the outstanding and the substandard.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by murrayhill
If a modicum of courtesy is not in your DNA, you are very much in the wrong line of work.
No, the bottom line is you didn't get a smile with your coke, and you perceive this to be the end of Western civilization.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
you're stuck because you'll start at the lowest rung in the ladder if you go elsewhere.
If you work at Eagle, you ARE on the bottom rung.

Last edited by lobo411; Jul 28, 2015 at 2:49 pm
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
OP, I'd ascribe it to an FA at the end of a long day and let it go. Who knows what kind of DYKWIAs she had threatening to write her up for some perceived slight earlier, or whether there was a sick family member at home. There are some days we all have to just power through and get to the end of, and may not be at our most cheerful.

Safe travels,

Doc
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:40 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by lobo411
No, the bottom line is you didn't get a smile with your coke, and you perceive this to be the end of Western civilization.
No, I think that "When he said goodbye while deplaning and there was a blank stare" this appears to be a lack of education more than anything else in my opinion.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AA LT Plat, DL Silver
flying in long haul domestic first the other day, the person that turned out to be the lead FA got split up from the other FA's (as in, probably didn't come from the hotel with them), and raced on to the plane so we could board. She burned the nuts, and the ice cream (usually rock hard) was served completely liquefied. She stood at the front of the first class cabin and apologized to the group of us. She said that she had 20+ years doing this, and it was just "one of those days". The acknowledgement made all the difference. It didn't change things, but like a previous poster said, we all have days like that.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by lobo411
Nothing in the OP could reasonably lead anyone to that conclusion
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA exp, Marriott Amb
Originally Posted by PhxFlyGuy
flying in long haul domestic first the other day, the person that turned out to be the lead FA got split up from the other FA's (as in, probably didn't come from the hotel with them), and raced on to the plane so we could board. She burned the nuts, and the ice cream (usually rock hard) was served completely liquefied. She stood at the front of the first class cabin and apologized to the group of us. She said that she had 20+ years doing this, and it was just "one of those days". The acknowledgement made all the difference. It didn't change things, but like a previous poster said, we all have days like that.
That seems totally legit to me. A simple apology is all it takes in most cases.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
I am amazed that in this age of "big data" AA (and other airlines) are not using survey thechiques to evaluate customer experience and staff performance. Even my corporate travel agency (American Express) sends me a shaort survey after each booking to gather infomation about the service experience. TSA lets me give them a similey face or a frown. By aggregating large amounts of data over prolonged periods they could get a really good idea of who is doing a good job and who is not. Everyone has a bad day, what you are looking for is the people who consistently have bad days.

AA knows the value of data and uses it for revenue management (and many other functions). Why don't they use it to evaluate their customer facing employees?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DevilDawg1960
I am amazed that in this age of "big data" AA (and other airlines) are not using survey thechiques to evaluate customer experience and staff performance. Even my corporate travel agency (American Express) sends me a shaort survey after each booking to gather infomation about the service experience. TSA lets me give them a similey face or a frown. By aggregating large amounts of data over prolonged periods they could get a really good idea of who is doing a good job and who is not. Everyone has a bad day, what you are looking for is the people who consistently have bad days.

AA knows the value of data and uses it for revenue management (and many other functions). Why don't they use it to evaluate their customer facing employees?
I would think the unions would throw a fit. If everything is seniority-based anyway, can they actually penalize or re-train those that get low scores?
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
You put your finger on a particularly relevant issue, and I'll expand a bit.

If you have imagined an FA job as providing glamorous travel opportunities and meeting well-traveled, wealthy potential partners, and feel this is just a lark - plus really don't have a love for customer service, you'll be very disappointed.

The larger problem is that, like civil service and tenure, union contract jobs provide both job security and pay increases based on seniority - and a genuine dilemma: if you hate the job, you're stuck because you'll start at the lowest rung in the ladder if you go elsewhere.

In working over the years with many employee groups, including union groups, this can create increasing levels of dissatisfaction and poor performance. But if minimum standards are met or there is poor supervision and evaluation, you'll stay and inflict yourself on customers and fellow employees - until you retire as a used-up, sour she'll of who you might have been.

Fortunately, many FAs on flights I've flown don't meet this characterization - but a few unfortunately have.
after many,many years as a school admn., things are no different in education! What gets supervised is what gets improved!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DevilDawg1960
Even my corporate travel agency (American Express) sends me a shaort survey after each booking to gather infomation about the service experience.
Companies that do this generally don't get my business. One of my pet peeves about our "modern age" is being constantly pestered about surveys everywhere I turn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.