Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong flight cancellation - AA's eternal rebooking line

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Hong Kong flight cancellation - AA's eternal rebooking line

I'm standing in HKG right now, where American has cancelled flight 138 to DFW.

Unfortunately, there is no ticket office, so all 200+ passengers are either waiting in line at check in for rebooking or will be waiting shortly.

The real problem is that there are only 3 agents working the counter for economy. Each ticket change takes half an hour of talking on the phone, tapping on the computer and walking up and down the aisle with peoples' passports in hand.

With an overall throughput of 6 passengers per hour, it will take roughly 33 hours for them to process everyone. The original flight was supposed to leave in roughly 2 hours.

11:48am Edit: AA has closed the desk of one agent. We are now down to 2 agents for 200+ people, or 50 hours to clear them all.

12:04pm Edit: The person in charge is now separating the folks headed to major hubs (SFO, JFK, etc) off so that they can be processed more quickly. Also, people are starting to get emails with rebooking done for them. Both drastic improvements.

13:02pm Edit: My rebooking is done, however when I left, it looked like a line to see a rock concert. The band playing is the Irritated Passengers. At least AA seems to be processing people more quickly.

Last edited by couponhead; Apr 21, 2015 at 11:11 pm Reason: update
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:27 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now is the time for you to use your phone and call AA to sort out the re-booking. Why wait so long to see an agent?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HNL
Now is the time for you to use your phone and call AA to sort out the re-booking. Why wait so long to see an agent?
Not everyone has a phone that works everywhere. I long for the days when there were long banks of payphones in every airport.

I don't speak Chinese, so I don't understand much of whats being said, byt I think a bunch of people just gave the agent a dressing-down for letting someone skip the line.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by couponhead
Not everyone has a phone that works everywhere. I long for the days when there were long banks of payphones in every airport.
I recall successfully making a phone call over HKG airport wifi using Skype or Google Hangouts or a similar service. Might be worth a try, but it may be the case that bandwidth is clogged up due to traffic.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by asdf098
I recall successfully making a phone call over HKG airport wifi using Skype or Google Hangouts or a similar service. Might be worth a try, but it may be the case that bandwidth is clogged up due to traffic.
I do this all the time. I use Skype to call CS, it's free. My data service works internationally, so I usually use Skype with 2G and call CS.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
https://mobile.twitter.com/americanair

Good luck!
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan & AA Advantage
What on God's earth is delaying 138 so much? My 138 flight from HKG-DFW on April 23 is also cancelled. I called and now I am rebooked from hkg-hel-lhr-yyz instead of hkg-dfw-yyz.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 3:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
So many ways of calling AA directly; I'd try:

AT&T.
Smartphones that will automatically switch to using Internet for calls.
Skype 2 cents per minute) or other VOIP services, including WiFi or Internet.

English 800-433-7300 24 hours, Daily

Japan +81 03-4333-7675

If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, you may reach U.S. Reservations by using the following procedures. (Please note that the call is not toll free.)
  • Access the website http://www.business.att.com/bt/access.jsp. The site lists eligible countries and phone numbers.
  • Dial the AT&T access number provided on the website (it is different for each country).
  • An AT&T operator or English language voice prompt will ask for the telephone number you are calling. Dial 800-433-7300 for all American Airlines departments (except AAdvantage) or dial 800-882-8880 for the AAdvantage department.
  • After the tone, enter your regular AT&T Calling Card number (not the international number). You may also use the AT&T Corporate Calling card and many other U.S. local phone company cards. MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover/Novus or Diners Club cards can be used from many countries to place calls back to the U.S.
  • For assistance, press zero or stay on the line for an AT&T operator.

Also:

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
2009 Update: I'm currently in BKK, and needed to talk to AA about my rezzy. I didn't want the local number which would be answered in who-knows-where, I wanted a direct US number. Looked around both AA.com and FT (which is how I found this thread). Found nothing particularly helpful or which worked. The back of my EXP card has only an 800 number for the U.S., no local DFW area number.

Eventually, I just dialed +1-800-xxx-xxxx, the regular 800 number on the back of my EXP card, the same way I dial regular, non-800 numbers from abroad. Voila!!! I was connected with the EXP desk, just as if I were in the U.S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

There are several ways to contact AA's U.S. numbers by telephone from outside the U.S. & Canada:

1) Those with Skype or other internet phone providers may be able to dial various AA 800 numbers directly toll free. Direct dialing an 800 number from a landline or mobile phone overseas may or may not work, and will not be toll free.

2) Use AT&T World Traveler Service to access AA 800 numbers from overseas. Long distance charges will apply and can be paid using an AT&T Calling Card, AT&T Prepaid Phone Card, credit card, or via collect call. AAdvantage elite customers (GLD, PLT, EXP) can dial their elite 800 number using this service and AT&T's systems will recognize these numbers and put the call through without asking for a payment method.

3) Call the AMR Headquarters number at 1-817-963-1234 from any telephone. Either an operator or the IVR system can then connect you with the appropriate department.

In addition, AA provides local numbers in many countries here: Worldwide Reservations Phone Numbers

See also the AA Wiki for additional information: Contacting American Airlines

This thread was extracted from an outdated 2002 thread, and merged with recent posts on this topic.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator
and

Link to AA cancelled flights on FlightAware

Link to U S airport delays (FlightAware)

Link to AA cancelled flights today (FlightAware)

Link to cancelled flights (today, to two days out - FlightAware)

Link to FT Original Routing Credit thread in cases of Rule 80 / 240 issues
Old Sep 10, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan & AA Advantage
My September 8, 2015 HKG-DFW was cancelled. This is the fourth 123 cancellation in a row for me. Any ideas as to why this flight is cancelled so much?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheSinister
My September 8, 2015 HKG-DFW was cancelled. This is the fourth 123 cancellation in a row for me. Any ideas as to why this flight is cancelled so much?
AA 138 HKG-DFW on September 8, 2015, departed early and arrived 1 hour and 1 minute early. I know this for a fact because I was on this flight. Perhaps you mean different date?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
JDiver, your post on calling Aa from abroad is solid gold. Maybe make it a stickie?

ETA I see there is info in the Wiki.

Last edited by beachfan; Sep 10, 2015 at 11:23 pm
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by dat4life
AA 138 HKG-DFW on September 8, 2015, departed early and arrived 1 hour and 1 minute early. I know this for a fact because I was on this flight. Perhaps you mean different date?
One more data point here. I was on this flight too. There's no way this flight was canceled or delayed in any fashion.

I hope dat4life meant a different date.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
I was on AA 138 on September 9, 2015. I monitored the flight on the 8th because I was concerned about our upgrades clearing. I was relieved to note that it did depart Hong Kong on September 8, 2015.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It really pays to know how to access customer service for carriers, hotel chains and the like from overseas.

This is where corporate TA's with 24/7 backup earn their pay. Call in, tell them what's up and what you need. They can call you back or text you with the details while you head off to a hotel or for a meal or simply to beat your head against a wall.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by couponhead
Phones that work everywhere are dirt cheap nowadays. I have one, and use it frequently to sort out booking issues on the spot. If you don't have one, well, that's frankly your choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.