Wiki Posts
Search

Sapphire instead of Emerald on AA System

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Sapphire instead of Emerald on AA System

I'm a OneWorld Emerald (through being British Airways Gold) and I have been since January. However, for some reason the AA system sees me as a Sapphire. This doesn't happen on any other OW airlines who all recognise me as Emerald.

I fly back and forth to the US and domestically frequently so this is really starting to irritate me. To most airport staff the BA card means nothing if the computer is saying something else. The major issue is lounge access, of course.

Does anyone has any ideas how I could get this fixed?

Customer services on the phone seems pretty unhelpful, airport staff get the issue but have no idea how to fix it. It doesn't seem like this is going to happen automatically given that I've been waiting nearly 4 months now so some manual intervention is looking like the best option.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Maybe call ba, ask them to take your avios number out of the reservation and then put back in?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Tried that. Should say this happens across bookings. Even on bookings made as recently as yesterday.

AA blames BA. BA blames AA. etc
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Did you make your bookings as a Sapphire, or were you already Emerald? Sometimes the system recognizes your status at the time of booking and it stays that way unless you try to change/re-enter your FF number (something I always struggle to do on AA/US bookings!). I'm guessing you have probably tried this already to no avail but I thought I'd throw out a possible reason just in case it helps. Sorry you seem to be having so much trouble!

I'm not surprised this problem is limited to AA/US, however, since they use a completely different reservation system from other OW airlines.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by fiddlerkrt
Did you make your bookings as a Sapphire, or were you already Emerald?
Originally Posted by clearedforlanding
I'm a OneWorld Emerald (through being British Airways Gold) and I have been since January.
Should say this happens across bookings. Even on bookings made as recently as yesterday.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Sorry, I did not read your second post closely enough. There is another thread on the BA forum where other people are in the same situation as you. I just turned BA gold myself so I might find myself in your shoes very soon.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:03 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
You will still be able to access most ACs as a OWS (except flagships in NY/ORD/LA) flying domestically on a OW carrier, although I understand the frustration of not being recognized at the correct level.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This is too common among oneworld airlines.

BA recognizes my AA Executive Platinum as oneworld Emerald; on the same booking, even when BA MMB link to IB is used Iberia shows me as oneworld Sapphire.

In this instance (LIS-MAD IB marketed and operated), MAD-JFK (BA marketed and IB operated) and JFK-SFO (BA marketed, AA operated) it really makes no difference; all I have to do is show my MADJFK boarding pass at JFK for Flagship Lounge access if I want it; there's no IB F lounge.

But it shows the different PSS' interfaces with each other just don't work very well.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Are you also a member of AAdvantage (at Sapphire level)? If so, that could be confusing the system(s).
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:13 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I had the same problem when USAirways was part of the Star Alliance. I was Chairman's Preferred with USAirways but when I booked two international trips on United (to Rio and Shanghai), my United boarding passes were only showing me as Silver. The only way I was able to enter in the United Club prior to my flights was that I had a paid membership in the USAirways Club and I had my card to show them. I called USAirways but they said they could do nothing to solve the problem. So, this seems to be happening in all worldwide alliances.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Once it is wrong in a reservation, it is very unlikely you'll be able to fix it. Be glad it's just your status. I've been the victim of AA<>BA finger pointing with larger reservation issues in the past and its one of the reasons I no longer fly AA.

That said, I would expect AA lounge dragons to honor your card, whatever the reservation says about your status. I've never had trouble showing the BA dragons my status on AA.com using my phone, when my status had changed since the reservation was made.

I would be more concerned about irregular operations. I've enjoyed many a roll-forward on BA due to my AA EXP/Emerald status.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Yeah as many here have experienced - it's rather frustrating being caught in the middle of IT issues between two massive corporations.

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Are you also a member of AAdvantage (at Sapphire level)? If so, that could be confusing the system(s).
Nope. Odd thing is that I also haven't actually flown AA as a BA Silver (Sapphire) in the last year. So it's not even remembering an 'old' status.

I'd note that it's also fine on US Airways - boarding passes all say Emerald. But I imagine this is simply because AA/US use separate systems right now.

Managed to get them to honour the card at LAX yesterday, which is good. As long as that happens then I suppose it's just a cosmetic issue. Will continue to push to get it sorted though - might try and get BA to issue me with a new membership number.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Yeah as many here have experienced - it's rather frustrating being caught in the middle of IT issues between two massive corporations.

Nope. Odd thing is that I also haven't actually flown AA as a BA Silver (Sapphire) in the last year. So it's not even remembering an 'old' status.

I'd note that it's also fine on US Airways - boarding passes all say Emerald. But I imagine this is simply because AA/US use separate systems right now.

Managed to get them to honour the card at LAX yesterday, which is good. As long as that happens then I suppose it's just a cosmetic issue. Will continue to push to get it sorted though - might try and get BA to issue me with a new membership number.
It is sort of ironic - I've read posts for years that BA staff will not allow access to AA/EXP to First Lounges without a card no matter what it says on the BP - although I personally have never had that issue - only polite acceptance. At any rate, if AA FL staff refuse you when you have a physical OW card showing Emerald, I'd not only be shocked - I'd politely ask for a manager (even though they are generally senior premium staff - hence my shock.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.