Wiki Posts
Search

Booking BA vs AA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
Booking BA vs AA

I'm a long time AA Exp, but have only ever qualified with domestic travel. I am looking to book a business class flight from ORD to Mumbai and I want to make sure that I am doing it right to earn the maximum # of EQP and EQM:

American and British Airways seem to offer the same flight options through LHR. Booking on American coded flights costs $12,000. Booking the same flights on British Airways codes costs only $5,000. My questions are as follows:
  • Why is there such a large price discrepancy for the same flights (BA vs AA)?
  • Will I receive the same number of EQP and EQM regardless of wether I book with BA or AA?
  • Are there any other considerations that I should keep in mind in making this choice?

Thank You for the info.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:53 pm

A. Revenue Management; they ask what they think they can ask
B. Who cares for a $ 7000 difference ... anyway, you will receive the same
C. How much do you value booking via AA. Is it worth $ 7000 extra for a business class seat? I mean, you do not get a double bed and shower cabin la Middle Eastern carriers; this will be a BA plane (or maybe AA). Both will get you there quite comfortably, but not spectacularly so.

I would rather have a grumpy FA for the lower than for the higher ticket price. If you want/need EQP, use the $ 7000 price difference to take your significant other on a business class shopping spree to a European destination. Or better (EQP wise): do it yourself two or three times
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are you set on flying through LHR? If your employer is paying for business class I would fly Qatar. Cheaper. Better product. Great lounge for the layover in Doha.

It's running less than 4000 round trip right now in May.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Are you set on flying through LHR? If your employer is paying for business class I would fly Qatar. Cheaper. Better product. Great lounge for the layover in Doha.

It's running less than 4000 round trip right now in May.
Interesting. I was seeing $9K for the dates I needed. I'll need to look into it further (visas, extra travel time, etc.).
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP (probably nothing w/ AA next year :)), Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
You won't get the 3x or 2x eqp multiplier promo if you book via BA as it wouldn't be marketed AA. Dont think that alone is worth $7000 in my opinion. You still get the regular class multiplier I believe.

So it will be your base miles x 1.5.

I agree though, try to go QR. Better product. Or even EY if you can swing it although I'm not very well versed in mileage earning (if any) for aadvantage with EY.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no Visa difference transiting DOH or LHR. Obviously still need Visa for India.

Given the choice of transiting LHR and DOH I would take DOH any day.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: American AAdvantage
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
There's no Visa difference transiting DOH or LHR. Obviously still need Visa for India.

Given the choice of transiting LHR and DOH I would take DOH any day.
If there's any IROPS, isn't BA required by EU law to offer assistance?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sant
If there's any IROPS, isn't BA required by EU law to offer assistance?
The service levels we've experienced for premium passengers on Qatar make me think they don't need a law to ensure they will deal with anything that came up.

I was also referring more to the transit experience itself, including lounges, security, walk time, etc.

Not to mention the onboard experience in business class on Qatar vs BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.