Wiki Posts
Search

Full fare only, but seat map is almost empty

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Full fare only, but seat map is almost empty

I have an issue. I had make a last minute change to my booking and I had to move my flight to tonight. AA reservations told me there is only one seat left and it's in First Class, so it's a full fare ticket. Not very happy about this.

Imagine I'm looking at the seat map right now and it's shows half the cabin is empty! So are they basically expecting a full flight, so they've given half the First Class cabin to op-ups and then selling me a full fare ticket?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
It has been repeated numerous times that seat map is not a true indicator of how many seats are available. Numerous people buy tickets and dont select a seat due to not having status, or not willing to pay for them. Without knowing flight #, not much can be said, however, I dont find it surprising that a last minute purchase on a same day flight would be a premium/full fare ticket. Good luck and safe travels.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by alphaod
I have an issue. I had make a last minute change to my booking and I had to move my flight to tonight. AA reservations told me there is only one seat left and it's in First Class, so it's a full fare ticket. Not very happy about this.

Imagine I'm looking at the seat map right now and it's shows half the cabin is empty! So are they basically expecting a full flight, so they've given half the First Class cabin to op-ups and then selling me a full fare ticket?
It would really be useful if you supplied specific flight information but one observation/clarification:

The pax moving to the front cabin arent "op ups" They are elites who have requested upgrades according to their status and those upgrades are in the process of clearing. They haven't been assigned seats yet but AA knows that of say 4 of the 5 empty seats in F will be occupied by elites. They usually hold back 1 or 2 seats for last minute purchasers - such as yourself - and in the event you buy the ticket, 1 less person will clear from the pending upgrade list.

If the flight is leaving in less than 4 hours, you can see the upgrade list yourself on the AA app.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too

what flight/cities? when is you actual confirmed flight?

Is this the outbound (first) leg of a RT? or return leg?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally booked 04/15 outbound with return 04/19, I-fare class.

AA18 SFOJFK outbound of a RT. Return AA177.

Change to outbound today and returning Friday, same flights except outbound only available in F.

And I sort of stuck the Elite upgrades in same category as op-ups...
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

And I forgot to mention, AA18 is at 10:45 pm and I already bought the ticket because I must fly out tonight, hence my disappointment in seeing a half empty seat map.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
And I forgot to mention, AA18 is at 10:45 pm and I already bought the ticket because I must fly out tonight, hence my disappointment in seeing a half empty seat map.
Well, at this time, AA18 STILL has 1 F seat for sale (you DID reticket and buy it?) but seatmap show 4 still unassigned in F, 1 in J and 2 in Econ with 2 more blocked. Oversell looks quite possible to me....
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2MM+, Marriott PLT, UA, National Exec
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Well, at this time, AA18 STILL has 1 F seat for sale (you DID reticket and buy it?) but seatmap show 4 still unassigned in F, 1 in J and 2 in Econ with 2 more blocked. Oversell looks quite possible to me....
Agreed... EF shows F1 J0 Y1 at this time....

Cheers.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
1. flight looks sold out. F1. J is sold out, Y is sold out.

There are cheap fares published, but no seats on that plane.

2. Did you look at SFO-LAX-JFK? There is some A space, which means if there was any M-up, K-up etc space earlier in the day, you could have bought a coach with an upgrade at $600 one way

3. If it makes you feel better, the open seat map is simply an artifact of 'paid seats'...many coach flyers just wait to be assigned at the airport.

4. Open seats in F on the map mean nothing- someone got an upgrade but hasnt got a seat. or they KNOW they WILL upgrade someone, to ensure Y isnt oversold, so they have open seats. (or J, all these things roll up from an oversold Y)

When a flight is as full as AA18 is- likely oversold- they will sell an F seat knowing that they will have to ask for a volunteer to accommodate you. Why should they sell it for cheap?

Would you rather buy a full YA2AA at $2500 or a Y at $7500? or a 'full F' that is probably only 3500? (FA2AA?)
Old Apr 13, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Y Oversold by 5
J - 1
F - 1
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Once again the seat map proves irrelevant to the actual available-to-sell for the flight.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:40 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Hmmm, I'm seeing something a little different (contrary to EF).
AA18 (04/14/2015)

(Confirmed)
F 4/10
J 20/20
Y 64/72

And I show Y fares available for purchase:

Last edited by AA-Flyer-SAN; Apr 14, 2015 at 8:45 am
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
Hmmm, I'm seeing something a little different (contrary to EF).
AA18 (04/14/2015)

(Confirmed)
F 4/10
J 20/20
Y 64/72

And I show Y fares available for purchase:

The OP was flying on the 13th.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by bdemaria
The OP was flying on the 13th.
Whoooooops
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I've actually noticed MCO-DFW often has only refundable fares, even when flights are relatively empty. I've been trying to understand this but can't seem to figure it out. It's made me just start booking UA F/DL F as both are offered cheaper than AA Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.