Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Airport Location Hours Amenities San Diego (SAN) San Diego International Ai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archive of older posts, with the original thread title. The current, active thread can be found here: SAN / San Diego Admirals Club (master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Airport Location Hours Amenities San Diego (SAN) San Diego International Ai

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2012, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
It is had to belive that the terminal for AA is almost 30 yrs old of course it need to be redone, but there is no room for a new terminal at this time..

Originally Posted by Fanjet
That whole terminal pier needs to be torn down and rebuilt the right way. It was a stupid concept thought up by the Port of San Diego (not that it was their first, nor their last, most likely). The thought of having a main waiting area, and then being called to your bording gate was stupid from the get-go. Now we have gate areas where basically everyone has to stand since seating area at the gates is extremely limited.

I'm gald that the AC is growing in size. But I was under the impression (by an AC agent) that the Port Authority wanted to move the AC altogether, and use that area to expand food consession offerings. I do like this proposal better, though.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:32 pm

Actually a new terminal expansion is well under way. The "L" shape of T2 has been mirrored towards the west adding +/- 500k sf of terminal space, ten add'l gates, and approx 1.3m feet of apron/parking. The concepts also included bi-level dropoff and pickup (think HNL) to alleviate the massive congestion problems at the curb in front of T2, but I'm not certain if they're included in this phase or not.

What would really be nice to see would be a major modernization (or preferably demo & reconstruction) of AAL's current terminal location (if you're from SAN you'd call this the old new terminal) using the T2 expansion to shift gate loads during the process. Seems unlikely in the short term however.

At least the AC will be expanded. In Dec it was packed prior to the LHR departure, with nary an empty seat to be found. Some meal options would be a nice addition to their biz/first offering, which is sorely lacking in comparison to its European and Asian peers.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by sddjd
Actually a new terminal expansion is well under way. The "L" shape of T2 has been mirrored towards the west adding +/- 500k sf of terminal space, ten add'l gates, and approx 1.3m feet of apron/parking. The concepts also included bi-level dropoff and pickup (think HNL) to alleviate the massive congestion problems at the curb in front of T2, but I'm not certain if they're included in this phase or not.
Yes, the two-level dropoff/pickup is being done. That's why the parking at T2 is gone.
http://www.san.org/sdcraa/airport_in...d/default.aspx

Looks like there will be new concessions right outside the AC, to include a Stone Brewery outlet.
http://www.san.org/documents/cdp/new...sions_plan.pdf

Last edited by skunker; Mar 6, 2012 at 3:28 pm
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
Originally Posted by skunker
BA started the SAN-LHR service back in June and have used the AC the whole time. The AC hours were changed to accomodate the late flight.
Maybe you did not read my post so carefully-I was talking about when BA formerly served SAN first with a 747 which stopped in PHX to and from LHR, then it became a nonstop with the arrival of the 777. BA started in AA's AC then built there own Terraces lounge in what I believe is now designated the "USO" club in the walkway connected building used for baggage claim.

I WAS NOT talking about the lounge used since BA RESTORED service to SAN last June.

If you doubt that BA had service formerly, which they discontinued several years ago, I am sure there are plenty of SAN AC AAngels who were around then and would confirm what I posted.

BA had actually invested in their own Terraces lounge in the only space they could acquire and it was less than conveniently located not only outside security but in the the most distant area of the terminal, the baggage claim building.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
Originally Posted by traveladam
The expanded area is rumored to be the pre-flight dining area for BA. Not sure what else is planned, though JL most likely has some interest in the expansion as well.

That is interesting if correct. I thought pre-flight dining was an "east coast" offering where the flight time to London was shorter. I did not know pre-flight dining was offered from origins west of Chicago-don't think it is even offered from MIA. Would seem odd if it is offered from SAN unless it is being added to all US origins?

I will say it is a nice service as the Club World offerings I've had at EWR were more appetizing than the reheated fare served onboard and it is nice not to have the noises of a meal service around you, even with ear plugs and noise canceling headphones, if you want to settle down to sleep right after take off.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:23 pm

It surely needs it, very chopped up and doesn't flow well at all, claustrophobic in the "bar" area.

--wes
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by sddjd
The concepts also included bi-level dropoff and pickup (think HNL) to alleviate the massive congestion problems at the curb in front of T2
I'm not sure how much it will help. I tend to get dropped off late morning/early afternoon, and it's usually not bad getting dropped off then at the AA doors, which are right at the start of the terminal. I tend to land in the early to mid evening, often when the security checkpoint is closed (which is surprisingly early), forcing me to schlep down to baggage claim. The curb there is inevitably a complete zoo, with many vehicles parked curbside waiting for arriving pax, others double-parked loading them, and those still looking creeping around in the remaining lane. I never see anyone being dropped off then. So, separate levels for arrivals and departures may help during some hours, but not when I fly.

LAX also has the two-level system, and landing there at night can be a madhouse. One Friday night it took us 30 minutes to get from the curb (once we found our hotel shuttle) to out of the airport.

Originally Posted by pgppetch
That is interesting if correct. I thought pre-flight dining was an "east coast" offering where the flight time to London was shorter. I did not know pre-flight dining was offered from origins west of Chicago-don't think it is even offered from MIA. Would seem odd if it is offered from SAN unless it is being added to all US origins?

I will say it is a nice service as the Club World offerings I've had at EWR were more appetizing than the reheated fare served onboard and it is nice not to have the noises of a meal service around you, even with ear plugs and noise canceling headphones, if you want to settle down to sleep right after take off.
I thought pre-flight dining was an option for those who wanted to maximize sleep, not replacing on-board meal service (so there will still be the noise of those around you being served).
Old Mar 8, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skunker
Looks like there will be new concessions right outside the AC, to include a Stone Brewery outlet.
http://www.san.org/documents/cdp/new...sions_plan.pdf
Hmm, maybe they could install one of those passthrough windows from Stone Brewery to the AC and include their brews as part of the AC's complimentary offerings.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Maybe you did not read my post so carefully-I was talking about when BA formerly served SAN first with a 747 which stopped in PHX to and from LHR, then it became a nonstop with the arrival of the 777. BA started in AA's AC then built there own Terraces lounge in what I believe is now designated the "USO" club in the walkway connected building used for baggage claim.

I WAS NOT talking about the lounge used since BA RESTORED service to SAN last June.

If you doubt that BA had service formerly, which they discontinued several years ago, I am sure there are plenty of SAN AC AAngels who were around then and would confirm what I posted.

BA had actually invested in their own Terraces lounge in the only space they could acquire and it was less than conveniently located not only outside security but in the the most distant area of the terminal, the baggage claim building.
Maybe you need to re-read what you wrote.

Maybe AA will add more that just seating area with BA planning to restore service and share the lounge?
My comment was that BA was doing more than planning; they have been operating that route since June.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Xero
You're right, I do my frequent SAN-LAX-SFO/SJC runs. I remember as recently as a year ago you could show up just 30 minute before the flight and there is never a line at security. They are just all standing there waiting for a passenger to show up. Not anymore.
Are you serious - SAN to the Bay area through LAX? Less time to DRIVE. While a miserable experience, I bit the bullet when AE dropped SAN-SJC services, ashamed to admit that I fly WN enough to earn A-List status.

Hoping that SAN-SJC service will be restored once the new labor agreements are in place, AS decides to pick up the route.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BStrauss3
Are Barbara and Marc still working there? Tell them Burton said "Hi".
They are. I love both of them. People can say what they want about the airport and the small club, but they are absolutely fantastic and truly embody the "AAngel" description

Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
I fly out of there tomorrow. We'll see how much better it will become. I feel like they're only polishing a turd. SAN airport is a joke.
I was going to defend our little airport, but in current state this is correct. That they decided to use the entire parking lot for construction staging is ridiculous. With no parking anywhere near the terminal, pickup and drop off traffic can be an absolute nightmare. Personally, I would have preferred to keep the old airport and not deal with the construction - it actually wasn't that bad if you knew how to work it.

Originally Posted by diver858
Are you serious - SAN to the Bay area through LAX? Less time to DRIVE. While a miserable experience, I bit the bullet when AE dropped SAN-SJC services, ashamed to admit that I fly WN enough to earn A-List status.
A bit of hyperbole. The LAX connection adds another 90 min vs. nonstop on WN. And to SJC, it's a simple connection in the AE terminal in LAX. Plus you get to use the commuter terminal in SAN as opposed to the mess that is T1. That said, I have only done this at the end of the year in a pinch to requal, and don't at all recommend it since WN and UA each fly about 10 times a day to SJC/SFO.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by SAN-man
They are. I love both of them. People can say what they want about the airport and the small club, but they are absolutely fantastic and truly embody the "AAngel" description
Oh, I called the AIRPORT a joke. Not the AC employees. Please don't misquote me. Barb and Marc are THE best employees American has. Hands down. And if you see Marc, congratulate him because he had shattered the record for the most applause certificates ever received. He received so many he was given EXP status.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:32 pm
In memoriam

Oh, I called the AIRPORT a joke. Not the AC employees. Please don't misquote me. Barb and Marc are THE best employees American has. Hands down. And if you see Marc, congratulate him because he had shattered the record for the most applause certificates ever received. He received so many he was given EXP status.
Ditto!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Why is SAN a joke?
If not for the current construction work at Terminal 2, I've always liked SAN Terminal 2:
-Quick security lines
-Easy access, not too much traffic(but for the current construction), very close to my house (10 mins cab ride)
-Usually no delays (unless domino effect due to weather in ORD/DFW/JFK)
-Quick boarding
-Nice TA Agents
-Free WiFI
-Efficient baggage claim (not instant delivery like at the commuter terminal, but still, pretty decent time)
-Very short walking distances

The only bad thing about Terminal 2 is that it is dated (low ceilings, dark, ugly green colors etc) and there are limited airside options for eating/ drinking. But, does it matter? IT is not a connecting airport and it is not too risky to cut it close and show at the gate just 10 mins before boarding time.

I do not get why SAN can be considered to the extreme of being a "joke".
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Really you think Term 2 is dated! Built in 1979 and Term 1 was built in 1967. I remember when Term 2 opened, I toured it with my older borther who worked and retired from AA.

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Why is SAN a joke?
If not for the current construction work at Terminal 2, I've always liked SAN Terminal 2:
-Quick security lines
-Easy access, not too much traffic(but for the current construction), very close to my house (10 mins cab ride)
-Usually no delays (unless domino effect due to weather in ORD/DFW/JFK)
-Quick boarding
-Nice TA Agents
-Free WiFI
-Efficient baggage claim (not instant delivery like at the commuter terminal, but still, pretty decent time)
-Very short walking distances

The only bad thing about Terminal 2 is that it is dated (low ceilings, dark, ugly green colors etc) and there are limited airside options for eating/ drinking. But, does it matter? IT is not a connecting airport and it is not too risky to cut it close and show at the gate just 10 mins before boarding time.

I do not get why SAN can be considered to the extreme of being a "joke".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.