Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Airport Location Hours Amenities San Diego (SAN) San Diego International Ai

ARCHIVE: Airport Location Hours Amenities San Diego (SAN) San Diego International Ai

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 3, 15, 8:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
This is the archive of older posts, with the original thread title. The current, active thread can be found here: SAN / San Diego Admirals Club (master thread)
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 29, 12, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP-3MM; WN A+; Alaska MVP-G; Marriott Plat Premier

I made a quick stop at the San Diego Admirals Club before my flight and quickly noticed that all of the windows looking out towards the AA gates were blocked off with new sheet rock. Upon asking the AAngels what is going on, they said that they just started an project to upgrade and expand the San Diego Club.

The current club is on the second floor, and there is a one-story building that extends out below the club where you can see the roof top right out the windows. The club is expanding to take over this space and will be at least double the size once the renovations are completed!

She said that the construction schedule is for a December completion date which will match well with the start of the JAL 787 flight to NRT. The club needs to be upgraded and expanded to better support the BA flights to LHR and the pending JAL flights to NRT, along with the AA operated flights to DFW, ORD, JFK.

I just wish they would move the LAX flights to the main terminal so you could have access to the club when flying to LAX. They should be able to do this as they only use regional jets now (no more turbo flights) so the current flights would be jet bridge compatible).

Here's to looking up at SAN operations from AA and OW!

===================MODERATOR NOTE=================

San Diego International Airport (SAN) Admirals Club
Location: Terminal 2 after security, immediately to the left, before Gate 23
(not accessible for those using American Eagle remote terminal).
Hours: Daily 5:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. Fax: 619-231-5455
Current amenities: Complimentary WiFi, computer with Internet connection, snacks for purchase, conference room for rent.

N.B. As the last post in the other San Diego Admirals Club thread dates back to December 2005, this will become the active SAN AC thread, and will be updated as the expansion and refurbishment occur.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 29, 12 at 1:20 pm Reason: add moderator note
Old Feb 29, 12, 11:49 am

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
The SAN AC club was the lounge for BA flights at one time when BA's service was 747 LHR-PHX-SAN. BA subsequently found landside space and built their own "brand" Terraces lounge in that satellite building one passes through going to short term parking (and baggage claim too I think? Have not claimed luggage in the main term in over a decade) I think that Terrace Lounge opened around when BA started 777 nonstop service to SAN and I was told by an AC rep that lack of sufficient premium traffic was the reason BA eventually dropped service to SAN.

I don't think any extras were offered during BA's era of using the AC use other than perhaps crackers and cheese and maybe tea sandwiches appearing before the BA flight boarding time.

Maybe AA will add more that just seating area with BA planning to restore service and share the lounge? I am not holding my breath for a tranquility fountain or self service wine bar but showers would be a great addition.

If premium traffic is much higher on the reinstated SAN service, I could see BA investing in their own lounge as they did in DFW and MIA and then fight vehemently to redirect any AA ticketed passengers with business class/first class lounge eligibility to use the AC. They use ANY argument to keep AA flyers out of the DFW and MIA lounges as they know we prefer the great amenities of the BA lounge to the (crAAp) offering in the AC club.
Old Feb 29, 12, 4:25 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by pgppetch View Post
The SAN AC club was the lounge for BA flights at one time when BA's service was 747 LHR-PHX-SAN. BA subsequently found landside space and built their own "brand" Terraces lounge in that satellite building one passes through going to short term parking (and baggage claim too I think? Have not claimed luggage in the main term in over a decade) I think that Terrace Lounge opened around when BA started 777 nonstop service to SAN and I was told by an AC rep that lack of sufficient premium traffic was the reason BA eventually dropped service to SAN.

I don't think any extras were offered during BA's era of using the AC use other than perhaps crackers and cheese and maybe tea sandwiches appearing before the BA flight boarding time.

Maybe AA will add more that just seating area with BA planning to restore service and share the lounge? I am not holding my breath for a tranquility fountain or self service wine bar but showers would be a great addition.

If premium traffic is much higher on the reinstated SAN service, I could see BA investing in their own lounge as they did in DFW and MIA and then fight vehemently to redirect any AA ticketed passengers with business class/first class lounge eligibility to use the AC. They use ANY argument to keep AA flyers out of the DFW and MIA lounges as they know we prefer the great amenities of the BA lounge to the (crAAp) offering in the AC club.
BA started the SAN-LHR service back in June and have used the AC the whole time. The AC hours were changed to accomodate the late flight.
Old Feb 29, 12, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
The expanded area is rumored to be the pre-flight dining area for BA. Not sure what else is planned, though JL most likely has some interest in the expansion as well.
Old Feb 29, 12, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I only been to SAN's AC once and I remember it being small and not really exciting.

Hope to visit it again when it's refurbished as I'm eager to fly JLs SAN-NRT 787 service. ^
Old Feb 29, 12, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
That whole terminal pier needs to be torn down and rebuilt the right way. It was a stupid concept thought up by the Port of San Diego (not that it was their first, nor their last, most likely). The thought of having a main waiting area, and then being called to your bording gate was stupid from the get-go. Now we have gate areas where basically everyone has to stand since seating area at the gates is extremely limited.

I'm gald that the AC is growing in size. But I was under the impression (by an AC agent) that the Port Authority wanted to move the AC altogether, and use that area to expand food consession offerings. I do like this proposal better, though.
Old Feb 29, 12, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
You're saying that the current AC was originally a BA lounge (more than 15 years ago)? What is this "satellite building" you refer to, and where was the BA lounge in it? The current AC is located (barely) airside at the security check-point; there is a walkway to the right leading to additional gates and then baggage claim; existing through security and straight used to be a bridge over the street and led to short-term parking (now torn up for reconstruction/expansion). Where is the satellite?

Why showers? Hard to see SAN being much of a hub (NRT-SAN-LAX anyone?), and you can't access them inbound.

I've not been to the BA lounge in DFW or MIA. The ACs are nothing to write home about. (Why doesn't AA add a FL to DFW?)
Old Feb 29, 12, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Are Barbara and Marc still working there? Tell them Burton said "Hi".
Old Mar 1, 12, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sandiego-flyer View Post
I just wish they would move the LAX flights to the main terminal so you could have access to the club when flying to LAX. They should be able to do this as they only use regional jets now (no more turbo flights) so the current flights would be jet bridge compatible).
^ Exactly and then we'd have a Priority Access lane. Plus, it's taking longer to get through security at the Commuter Terminal now, depending on time of day. The days of whisking right through are gone.
Old Mar 1, 12, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by wrxmom View Post
^ Exactly and then we'd have a Priority Access lane. Plus, it's taking longer to get through security at the Commuter Terminal now, depending on time of day. The days of whisking right through are gone.
You're right, I do my frequent SAN-LAX-SFO/SJC runs. I remember as recently as a year ago you could show up just 30 minute before the flight and there is never a line at security. They are just all standing there waiting for a passenger to show up. Not anymore.
Old Mar 1, 12, 1:54 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
You're right, I do my frequent SAN-LAX-SFO/SJC runs. I remember as recently as a year ago you could show up just 30 minute before the flight and there is never a line at security. They are just all standing there waiting for a passenger to show up. Not anymore.
The first flights of the morning are the worst. AA, UA, and DL all scramble to be the first out the door so they don't have to wait in the taxi line when the airport opens at 6:30.

AA's scheduled departure is 6:20 and UA is 6:18. My last morning flight AA got out first but then the plane had to wait for 10 minutes at the end of the runway. When we rolled down the runway there was a line of about 6-7 planes with more coming.

I think anytime after these first flights in the commuter terminal are fine. I took 1:10 departure to LAX mid-week and there was no one in line to get screened.
Old Mar 1, 12, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Thumbs down

I fly out of there tomorrow. We'll see how much better it will become. I feel like they're only polishing a turd. SAN airport is a joke.
Old Mar 2, 12, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN View Post
I fly out of there tomorrow. We'll see how much better it will become. I feel like they're only polishing a turd. SAN airport is a joke.
At least's it's better than having to drive to LAX.
Old Mar 3, 12, 12:25 am

Programs: AA (EXP), Hilton (Diamond), SPG (lowly Gold)
Originally Posted by BStrauss3 View Post
Are Barbara and Marc still working there? Tell them Burton said "Hi".
They were at least as of last month. My favorite AC AAngels!

Originally Posted by wrxmom View Post
Plus, it's taking longer to get through security at the Commuter Terminal now, depending on time of day. The days of whisking right through are gone.
Sometimes it gets very backed up, with so many people flying out of the commuter terminal for international connections. When they have the backscatter X-ray scopes going, it really crawls. It can take 15-10 minutes extra for a pat-down.

Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN View Post
That's harsh. SAN may not be the best airport, but it's far from the worst.

(One thing I especially hate is landing in the evening in T2, since inevitably the security check-point is closed, and even though I only have carry-on, I have to drag my bags all the way to baggage claim, then because that area is such a zoo, all the way back to find an empty spot at the curb for my ride to pick me up.)
Old Mar 3, 12, 1:14 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by sandiego-flyer View Post

I am not sure about this. I take noon and PM SAN-LAX flights and it takes me 5 mins max to get from curb to gate (w/ boarding bass). 15 mins w/o boarding pass.

And the commuter terminal is the first one up (unless coming from OB) and there is usually no traffic (unlike Terminal 2)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: