Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

does musical instrument (e.g. violin) count as a carry-on on AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Originally Posted by ebuck
The final DOT ruling on traveling with musical instruments can be found here:

http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/fil...nal%20rule.pdf

The language refers to small musical instruments as "carry-on baggage," and you'll find most US airlines have adopted that language in their baggage policies, including AA and US. One thing to note in the regs is that space must be available for the instrument and airlines are not required to move other carry-on luggage to make room for an instrument. But more importantly, the regs also state that airlines cannot move a stored musical instrument to make room for other passengers' baggage.
Print Wikipost

does musical instrument (e.g. violin) count as a carry-on on AA?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mark_T
You are setting yourself up for an expensive failure.

Electronics in a checked bag are not covered, irreplaceable documents obviously should not be checked either.

A $450,000 violin deserves its own seat and then there would be no debate about the carry-on.

Anything else would seem like utter folly in the circumstances you describe.
I do carry full replacement value insurance for the instrument and the equipment. (i.e. if someone manages to steal the violin, it will be replaced with a $450,000 check.... very expensive insurance, plus the insurer requires an annual appraisal that costs $570 additional, but well worth it... duh!)
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AppleApe
I do carry full replacement value insurance for the instrument and the equipment. (i.e. if someone manages to steal the violin, it will be replaced with a $450,000 check....
Sure, but can that $450,000 check then be turned in for a violin equivalent to the one you have? Seems like the market could be rather rarefied and fickle at that level (but I don't know, so am honestly curious).
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver
As a fellow violin player, I echo the suggestion from others to buy a suit for your instrument if traveling in Y due to its incredible value. My violin is only worth a couple thousand dollars so I'm prepared to take the risk that it might be checked if I am extremely unlucky. The only time this ever happened was in August 2006 when I was flying out of the UK over to the US and everything had to be checked due to the liquid explosives plot.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by fiddlerkrt
... I echo the suggestion from others to buy a suit for your instrument ...
Well yes, if the violin is going to have a seat to itself, it must be properly dressed as well
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Worth noting that the FAA also recently issued new guidelines RE flying with musical instruments.

http://flyingwithguitars.com/2013/08...c-instruments/
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:14 am

The language refers to small musical instruments as "carry-on baggage," and you'll find most US airlines have adopted that language in their baggage policies, including AA and US. One thing to note in the regs is that space must be available for the instrument and airlines are not required to move other carry-on luggage to make room for an instrument. But more importantly, the regs also state that airlines cannot move a stored musical instrument to make room for other passengers' baggage.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! As I'm not a lawyer, that page just made my head hurt.

I found the FAQ section, located here:

http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/fil...ts_FAQ_2_0.pdf.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Thank you so much for boiling that all down to the essence and simplicity we prefer! ^
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by rjw242
Well yes, if the violin is going to have a seat to itself, it must be properly dressed as well
Haha, I did not notice my typo before posting!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fiddlerkrt
Haha, I did not notice my typo before posting!
oh... I thought you meant that I had to sit in coach, while my violin enjoyed a first class suite?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by AAnerd
you own a $450,000 violin?? wow.. From my experience violin is a carry-on item, not a personal item..
A $450,000 violin is not uncommon in the professional violin world. Many concertmasters, chamber musicians and solo artists play instruments that are valued anywhere from $100,000 to $4 million. A lot of players don't own these instruments outright; rather, they're loaned out by wealthy benefactors, foundations or societies (i.e. The Stradivari Society). The owners are usually pretty savvy investors, as the value of exceptional wooden stringed instruments is basically guaranteed to increase over time.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by AppleApe
Thanks! As I'm not a lawyer, that page just made my head hurt.

I found the FAQ section, located here:

http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/fil...ts_FAQ_2_0.pdf.
The law basically says that, if you get on the plane and:

1. Your instrument fits in the overhead bin
and
2. There's enough space remaining to fit your instrument upon boarding
then
the airline can't legally disallow you from putting your instrument in the overhead bin.

(and, p.s., hello from another traveling classical musician!)
Old Mar 25, 2015, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Redhead
You are allowed one carry-on and a personal item. The violin would count as your personal item, so the other case should make it on (assuming it meets the size restrictions)
it might actually count as the carry-on, not the "personal item". a personal item belongs with the person, as in under the seat. the carry-on goes in the overhead space. not sure.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Originally Posted by footballfanatic
it might actually count as the carry-on, not the "personal item". a personal item belongs with the person, as in under the seat. the carry-on goes in the overhead space. not sure.
Re: Under the seat in front of you:
That space is not predictable or necessarily usable. Between the peculiar spacing of seat support hardware and the intrusion of IFE boxes, one cannot count on space under the seat in front AT ALL. Just another example of the airlines' lack of consideration of passengers--what a surprise.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
If your violin is indeed very valuable to you, I would buy a seat for it.

Heck, I've bought seats to hold desktop computers before since I didn't trust FedEx/UPS to ship my important stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.