Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

does musical instrument (e.g. violin) count as a carry-on on AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Originally Posted by ebuck
The final DOT ruling on traveling with musical instruments can be found here:

http://www.dot.gov/sites/dot.gov/fil...nal%20rule.pdf

The language refers to small musical instruments as "carry-on baggage," and you'll find most US airlines have adopted that language in their baggage policies, including AA and US. One thing to note in the regs is that space must be available for the instrument and airlines are not required to move other carry-on luggage to make room for an instrument. But more importantly, the regs also state that airlines cannot move a stored musical instrument to make room for other passengers' baggage.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:16 am
Original Poster

does musical instrument(such as a violin) count as a carry-on on AA? if so, does that person get to bring a regular 21" carry-on case as well or will that have to be checked?
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
You are allowed one carry-on and a personal item. The violin would count as your personal item, so the other case should make it on (assuming it meets the size restrictions)
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by AppleApe
does musical instrument(such as a violin) count as a carry-on on AA? if so, does that person get to bring a regular 21" carry-on case as well or will that have to be checked?
Clearly answered at http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...nAllowance.jsp

A musical instrument may be taken onboard as your one carry-on bag, regardless of its size, as long as it can be safely stowed in an approved carry-on stowage location.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
AA has a very strong "no tolerance" policy about "violins in the workplace"...

You'll be fine, but you won't be able to claim a third carry-on item; the violin, cased, will count as your carry-on, and you'll be allowed a personal item as well. I've seen pax with violins on AA.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Redhead
You are allowed one carry-on and a personal item. The violin would count as your personal item, so the other case should make it on (assuming it meets the size restrictions)
Originally Posted by JDiver
AA has a very strong "no tolerance" policy about "violins in the workplace"...

You'll be fine, but you won't be able to claim a third carry-on item; the violin, cased, will count as your carry-on, and you'll be allowed a personal item as well. I've seen pax with violins on AA.
Aren't those two conflicting answers?

In fact, that's the kind of conflicting answers I've gotten after speaking with three AA agents on the phone.

(1) violin + 21" carry-on, not allowed, because both are counted as carry-ons

(2) violin + 21" carry-on, allowed, because violin is a personal item and the 21" carry is carry-on

Actually, the third agent(who took position 1) suggested that it was up to the airport agent and flight attendants because they have the discretion.

Under no circumstance can I check a $450,000 violin.... so I guess I'll have to check the 21" carry-on.

The violin case is just a standard one-violin case measuring appx 29" x 9" x 5" in size.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP

In fact, that's the kind of conflicting answers I've gotten after speaking with three AA agents on the phone.

(2) violin + 21" carry-on, allowed, because violin is a personal item and the 21" carry is carry-on

Actually, the third agent(who took position 1) suggested that it was up to the airport agent and flight attendants because they have the discretion.

Under no circumstance can I check a $450,000 violin.... so I guess I'll have to check the 21" carry-on.

The violin case is just a standard one-violin case measuring appx 29" x 9" x 5" in size.
you own a $450,000 violin?? wow.. From my experience violin is a carry-on item, not a personal item..
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would it not count as a carryon? If it doesn't fit under the seat in front of you, it is a carry on.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

jridge gave an answer quoted from aa.com, which asserts that a musical instrument, regardless of size, is your one carryon item, meaning that you may still bring a personal item.

Redhead's answer is inconsistent with aa.com. Maybe you'll have a lucky day and be allowed to bring a violin plus a standard carryon bag, but I wouldn't count on it. Better (IMO) to bring a violin plus a personal item and then be prepared to argue in case an employee doesn't know the rules and tries to prevent you from bringing a personal item along with your violin. You'd be in the right, and you'd win the argument.

Bring a standard carryon item plus a violin and then try to argue in case an eagle-eyed employee stops you: you wouldn't have the facts or the law on your side, and you'd lose, and thus have to check one or the other.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
In your case, I would suggest (depending on your class of travel and aircraft type) considering purchasing a second seat for the instrument if you are able and avoid this entire hypothetical. I think those with larger instruments (violas, guitars, etc.) of value commonly do so.

For instance, if you get held up in traffic, are one of the last to board, and there's no overhead space for your instrument - what would you do?

Even if you are able to board on time, are you comfortable putting a half a million dollar instrument into an overhead bin with others shoving and pushing heavy rollaboards in there? I would fear damage were I in your shoes.

Now, if you are in J or F on a widebody you're probably okay, since the cabin crew will usually help you out...but given that AA has limited closet space on narrowbodies, even if you are in J/F on one of those, you may be out of luck.

But if you are unable to do so, I suggest (a) checking your rollaboard and (b) making sure you have lots of buffer time at the gate, just in case.

If you lack elite status (I cannot tell from your post), and are in Y, then selecting a seat at the rear of the aircraft maximizes your chance of finding overhead space at or near your seat, so you can keep an eye on things.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scnzzz
In your case, I would suggest (depending on your class of travel and aircraft type) considering purchasing a second seat for the instrument if you are able and avoid this entire hypothetical. I think those with larger instruments (violas, guitars, etc.) of value commonly do so.

For instance, if you get held up in traffic, are one of the last to board, and there's no overhead space for your instrument - what would you do?

Even if you are able to board on time, are you comfortable putting a half a million dollar instrument into an overhead bin with others shoving and pushing heavy rollaboards in there? I would fear damage were I in your shoes.

Now, if you are in J or F on a widebody you're probably okay, since the cabin crew will usually help you out...but given that AA has limited closet space on narrowbodies, even if you are in J/F on one of those, you may be out of luck.

But if you are unable to do so, I suggest (a) checking your rollaboard and (b) making sure you have lots of buffer time at the gate, just in case.

If you lack elite status (I cannot tell from your post), and are in Y, then selecting a seat at the rear of the aircraft maximizes your chance of finding overhead space at or near your seat, so you can keep an eye on things.

I've flown with a violin and a carry-on on US Airways for many years(probably two dozen flights on A320/A321s) without any issues. Have not flown American for many years. Do they enforce rules differently than US Airways? I've also not had problems on United, Virgin America, US Airways Express, Singapore Airlines, ANA, Delta, and Lufthansa. AA's website is what got me concerned. It's not the cost to check a carry-on bag, but the value of the contents.(electronic recording equipment, irreplaceable historical sheet musics, etc)
Old Mar 24, 2015, 2:11 pm

IME Both airlines are starting to adhere to the actual policy. The violin is your carry-on and you are allowed a personal item in addition to that.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
It's not the cost to check a carry-on bag, but the value of the contents.(electronic recording equipment, irreplaceable historical sheet musics, etc)
You are setting yourself up for an expensive failure.

Electronics in a checked bag are not covered, irreplaceable documents obviously should not be checked either.

A $450,000 violin deserves its own seat and then there would be no debate about the carry-on.

Anything else would seem like utter folly in the circumstances you describe.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
How about this--Plan on that wonderful violin being your carry-on. Assume the suitcase is going below. But pack the precious other things in a flexible tote that can be your personal item if necessary -- or can be stowed inside the suitcase in the unlikely event that you can get the suitcase onboard..

Last edited by dia1; Mar 24, 2015 at 6:18 pm
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I've flown with a violin and a carry-on on US Airways for many years(probably two dozen flights on A320/A321s) without any issues. Have not flown American for many years. Do they enforce rules differently than US Airways? I've also not had problems on United, Virgin America, US Airways Express, Singapore Airlines, ANA, Delta, and Lufthansa. AA's website is what got me concerned. It's not the cost to check a carry-on bag, but the value of the contents.(electronic recording equipment, irreplaceable historical sheet musics, etc)
Originally Posted by Mark_T
You are setting yourself up for an expensive failure.

Electronics in a checked bag are not covered, irreplaceable documents obviously should not be checked either.

A $450,000 violin deserves its own seat and then there would be no debate about the carry-on.

Anything else would seem like utter folly in the circumstances you describe.
Past performance is no guarantee of future success. clearly your tolerance for risk is greater than mine. I would buy the seat for the instrument, but hey, YMMV.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

Well, if you can fit the violin under the seat in front of you, it could indeed be brought on as a "personal item".

XTRASEAT might not be such a bad idea. An FA on an AF Concorde (F-BVFF) told me Mr. Rostropovich always did that for his cello, perhaps twice monthly.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 24, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.