Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Routes (Flights) and Hubs (Speculation, News and Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
It certainly makes sense that all SA traffic, particularly deep SA will be based out of MIA instead of CLT. MIA has the huge O&D advantage and makes sense for connections. JFK will be used for some northern traffic to SA (GRU, GIG, EZE).
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Exactly!
................Now that the pilots are all on the same pay schedule and the US FAs make almost as much as the AA FAs, the pay disadvantage is gone. Unless the plan is to subsidize the low-yield CLT and PHL international flights with the higher-yielding ORD, JFK, MIA and DFW international flights, things are likely to change at CLT and PHL. The ending of CLT-GIG is the first step. It won't be the last............
That rationale primarily applies to the O&D traffic. Both CLT and PHL could retain much of their current international traffic (especially PHL), just based on domestic connections, supplemented by O&D. Obviously, traffic which can garner significantly higher O&D/Connecting ratios would be more profitable from the O&D source - and South America (MIA) is certainly in that category. Also, particularly in the case of PHL, there is potential for an increase in international yields (BTW, PHL-LHR is/has never been Low Yield for BA) just based on an increase in destinations, via the BA/IB JV and lessening bleed from PHL - JFK/EWR. All of this of course assumes the plan is to funnel significant OW connecting international traffic through PHL, rather than JFK, which I believe will be the case. The PHL-LHR route should show a significant increase in Yields, as the only alternative will now be AA/BA using a near parity fare structure. That of course assumes no one accepts the available PHL-LHR slot pair. My conspiracy theory however, is that the EU made that edict based on a complaint from an "interested" party.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:27 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
It certainly makes sense that all SA traffic, particularly deep SA will be based out of MIA instead of CLT. MIA has the huge O&D advantage and makes sense for connections. JFK will be used for some northern traffic to SA (GRU, GIG, EZE).
Was just reading that the CLT-GIG will be dropped/moved - I think it's already been discussed - but that CLT-GRU will remain operating at least for a while.

Jim
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by 6P&E
When EA went bankrupt @1991, I wondered if AA would scoop up those EA gates in ATL and be done with RDU and BNA. Didn't happen. AA conceded the SE market by closing RDU and BNA.
One airline history book I read (Hard Landing, I believe) explained that Crandall's people looked at both ATL and MIA as potential hubs in the late 80s/early 90s when Eastern was on the brink of collapse. They decided that there was no way they could compete with Delta at ATL, so they focused efforts on MIA where there were no other major incumbents.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AA G, Ex-DL GM, Ex-UA 1P
Originally Posted by jumbojet19920711
I feel like PHX to AA could be like SLC to DL as a connecting hub for itineraries exclusively west of the Rockies. For example, BOI-PHX-SAN, or ABQ-PHX-GEG. My only doubt would be its location--it is much further south than SLC, which would make for some circuitous routings for itineraries like PDX-PHX-SMF.

PHX could also serve as an alternate hub to DFW for itineraries from secondary western cities (BOI, SMF, BZN) to major eastern cities. From these cities to secondary eastern cities, one would route through DFW.
Even with the US merger, the combined AA has a pretty big hole in the NW quadrant of the US. As you say, PHX is too far south to be a timely connecting point to pretty much anywhere north of CA. Their partnership with Alaska covers much of that area, but connecting in Seattle is also quite a bit of backtracking for places such a Boise, Spokane, and many of the high-margin seasonal resort areas in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, etc. Maybe they are content with conceding that business to UA and DL. Alaska has added quite a few routes from SLC that AA could connect into, but they're to cities already pretty well served (with the exception of Boise), and I have a feeling those flights won't last too long, but it will be interesting to see how the strategy plays out.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Does anybody know about PHX-FLL nonstop? Did they canceled PHX-FLL? Perhaps AA will takeover by replace US.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by N830MH
Does anybody know about PHX-FLL nonstop? Did they canceled PHX-FLL? Perhaps AA will takeover by replace US.
I believe the afternoon PHX-FLL and early AM FLL-PHX are coming off the schedule this spring (the morning EB and evneing WB remain). Probably because connecting traffic to the west (California, Washington, etc.) can then be routed through DFW. Cruise traffic drops around then, too, so demand is typically lower in the summer. With that said, this route is surprisingly elite-heavy.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Perhaps, but don't all (nearly all) flights to GIG and GRU (and other Deep S American cities) operate on a similar schedule? AA operates some extra flights to Brazil during the peak season during the daytime, but the year-round flights generally operate as overnight flights both directions.

I think the easier answer lies in the low yields produced by flying from CLT to Brazil. CLT isn't where any Brazilians want to end up when they get to the USA (much more common destinations are MIA, NYC and MCO). And CLT has very few residents who travel to Brazil compared to the much larger cities in the USA. IMO, that's the issue.
My point is that since there is already MIA-GIG on the combined carrier, the marginal benefit of keeping one more flight >from anywhere< that is going to take up 36+ hours to operate is negative. They could probably make more money just shuttling that pair of 332 back and forth LAX-HNL over and over, much less doing something really useful with them.

It doesn't matter how much originating traffic there is at CLT, short of a sweetheart J contract like AA RDU-LON. It matters that it's a 36 hour turn and AA/US now probably has one too many of them.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 6P&E
When EA went bankrupt @1991, I wondered if AA would scoop up those EA gates in ATL and be done with RDU and BNA. Didn't happen. AA conceded the SE market by closing RDU and BNA.

CLT will end up the Southeast hub AA never got right. But most likely without the bulk of the international service it enjoys today for all the cost reasons posted elsewhere on this thread.
Remember that TW tried a hub in ATL and failed in the years after EA went out of business.

DL runs international service out of ATL. AA will run SOME international service out of CLT. The question is just how much?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
As your last sentence said, PHX may well act a lot like DL at SLC - a hub close enough to the west coast to cover a lot of the traffic from 2nd and 3rd tier markets without clogging up LAX. The big question mark is can AA get the yields necessary to make it work that way considering the traffic mix and WN.

Jim
Well, fortunately, WN is getting the HIGHER fare bug. They are now making money on higher fares and less discounting. I can't remember the last time that they sent out a decent DING fare (or any DING fare for that matter). So, I believe AA can compete on the fare end.

The primary question is whether AA wants to dominate some of the small to medium sized markets in the West. I believe the demand is there. but are there enough markets that can support at least a 75 seat jet? Can they get the required yields in the smaller markets? Will people pay somewhat more to use that smaller airport near their house rather than drive 90-120 minutes to a big airport to save $75 bucks? Consumers are fickle about air fares.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by formeraa
Remember that TW tried a hub in ATL and failed in the years after EA went out of business.

DL runs international service out of ATL. AA will run SOME international service out of CLT. The question is just how much?
RC also had a hub (or at least pretty strong focus) in ATL after deregulation, but consolidated at MEM pretty quickly.

I wager DL probably wouldn't have nearly as much international service out of ATL if they had MIA (or still had DFW).
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by formeraa
The primary question is whether AA wants to dominate some of the small to medium sized markets in the West. I believe the demand is there. but are there enough markets that can support at least a 75 seat jet? Can they get the required yields in the smaller markets? Will people pay somewhat more to use that smaller airport near their house rather than drive 90-120 minutes to a big airport to save $75 bucks? Consumers are fickle about air fares.
I'm not sure the merger really changes things much in those markets. AA doesn't really have the capacity to add more small market service to/through LAX, and US is already serving a lot of those markets through PHX. If the case for DFW made sense, they'd probably already have service on AA.

Probably the more interesting question is whether they're willing to be more aggressive with pricing to get volume up in those cities. E.g., BFL hasn't done well with commanding a premium, given WN down at BUR -- but with WN fares up, people might reconsider.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by dtremit
If the case for DFW made sense, they'd probably already have service on AA.

Probably the more interesting question is whether they're willing to be more aggressive with pricing to get volume up in those cities.
It's one of the many tradeoffs this industry has. Service to medium and especially small markets is usually on an RJ since there's not the volume of traffic to support adequate frequency with anything bigger. Having a higher CASM, you don't want to carry those passengers any further than necessary on RJ's to connect since doing so drives up the overall cost of providing them service. Which gives PHX an advantage over DFW for serving those markets out west.

Jim
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
The more I am thinking about it, the more I am thinking that PHX is more or less safe (for the most part). I do expect PHX to lose some of its thinner transcons given the presence of DFW and ORD, but I think that the constraints inherent in LAX means that you simply cannot divide up PHX and expect LAX to take up the slack.

Nor can you expect DFW to take up the slack for all the regional flying that PHX has access to. For example, passengers in TUS or SAN might be willing to fly AA via PHX to COS, BOI, OMA or even SEA. Or from SEA to ABQ or SFO to ELP. I don't see how they'd be willing to do that through DFW (except for us insane FF types who are building segments and miles).
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
It's one of the many tradeoffs this industry has. Service to medium and especially small markets is usually on an RJ since there's not the volume of traffic to support adequate frequency with anything bigger. Having a higher CASM, you don't want to carry those passengers any further than necessary on RJ's to connect since doing so drives up the overall cost of providing them service. Which gives PHX an advantage over DFW for serving those markets out west.

Jim
Unless the RJ has become so costly that you can't do the RJ. Which is what you see these days at EWR - the return of the turboprop in the form of a Dash-8-300 or Dash-8-400 (not that you'll see a Dash-8 flying from DFW to ABQ or DFW to FLG)... You might see an ATR even though AA's relationship with ATRs was somewhat sullied by the Roselawn crash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.