Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Spotted: Four AA 777s in HKG parked in HK maintenance hanger today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Spotted: Four AA 777s in HKG parked in HK maintenance hanger today.

Anyone know what's going on?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:29 pm

They are receiving maintenance

Interesting
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by nautikal
They are receiving maintenance

Interesting
Given HK's daily DFW flight, I thought one frame is enough. Maybe the rest came from PEK and PVG, perhaps. But it is a heck of a lot of maintenance at HAECO in one go.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:48 pm

Receiving the new 2 class interior, perhaps?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...2014-a-90.html
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
As indicated by the 772 CIP thread, three of them, if not all of them, are undergoing C-Checks and the CIP.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Longboater
As indicated by the 772 CIP thread, three of them, if not all of them, are undergoing C-Checks and the CIP.
Actually, exactly one is receiving CIP at present.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Whoops, my mistake. Thanks JonNYC
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SinoBritAsia
Given HK's daily DFW flight, I thought one frame is enough. Maybe the rest came from PEK and PVG, perhaps. But it is a heck of a lot of maintenance at HAECO in one go.
AA previously performed 777 heavy checks at its former in-house maintenance base at Alliance airport in Fort Worth (AFW). During its bankruptcy, it closed that base and outsourced the heavy maintenance of its 777 fleet to HAECO. AA has 47 772s and as they're due for heavy checks every 18-24 months, I'm not sure that I agree that seeing four of them in the hangar is more than necessary.

Not only has AA outsourced the heavy C checks, but the cabin reconfiguration has also been outsourced to HAECO, so all 47 of them will need to pass thru HKG for heavy checks and for the cabin refresh over the next couple of years. Heavy C checks can take 3-4 weeks, so seeing more than one at a time at the hangar doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 9:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Longboater
Whoops, my mistake. Thanks JonNYC
Don't blame ya, that thread is getting a lot of speculative noise and that's making it quite confusing to follow.

If 4 were spotted, it's the one almost certainly being CIP'd (N787AL), N788AN which is CIP'd already but has been out of service for a few weeks and the 2 others, unknown what they're in for, all the guessing notwithstanding.

As we know, the thread for this discussion is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...lf-2014-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.