Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Compass (ERJ-175s) coming to LAX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Catering equipment or no catering equipment, I'm disappointed the AUS-LAX I've been taking on Sunday afternoon has been down sized from an MD-80 to an E-175. I'm doubly disappointed it's been moved to an earlier time which forces me to "enjoy" lengthy connections in LAX. I shouldn't be surprised as the push from the new AA managers seems to focus connections to the North West on MCE-free routes via PHX. Guess it's good for the bottom line?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diver858
Encouraging news. I was under the impression that Parker was effectively doing away with Compass, due to labor issues, significant cost differential with Mesa and Republic.
I think you're thinking of Envoy/MQ (formerly American Eagle Airlines), whose pilots resisted further post-bankruptcy concessions until they finally gave in and accepted the concessions that their spineless colleagues at PSA and Piedmont had earlier accepted.

This contract with AA is the first non-NW/non-DL regional flying performed by Compass, which used to be a wholly-owned sub of NW before its recent bankruptcy and subsequent purchase by Trans States.

Originally Posted by bernardd
Catering equipment or no catering equipment, I'm disappointed the AUS-LAX I've been taking on Sunday afternoon has been down sized from an MD-80 to an E-175. I'm doubly disappointed it's been moved to an earlier time which forces me to "enjoy" lengthy connections in LAX. I shouldn't be surprised as the push from the new AA managers seems to focus connections to the North West on MCE-free routes via PHX. Guess it's good for the bottom line?
I feel your pain, but at least you're getting a much better plane than the alternative: a stretched Devil's Chariot, or the CRJ-900.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
The ERJ-175 is a brand-new frequency. Nothing has been downgraded. AA is going from 4x 738 (which not long ago was 3x 738) to 4x 738 and 1x ERJ-175.

However, now that there are two afternon AUS-LAX departures, the 4.41pm mainline flight will leave at 5.41p, and then there is the new 3.05pm departure on the ERJ-175.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
It is an American Eagle catering policy. So any American Eagle branded operation will be catered the exact same way... doesnt matter if its Mesa, Republic, Compass, Air Wisconsin, PSA, Piedmont, Chautauqua or Billy Bob's flying circus. If they are operating as American Eagle, they abide by the rules set forth by AA.
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Pretty sure you're wrong. Envoy and Republic AE flights actually do have meals served. Mesa flights do not serve meals even if flying LAX-IAH.
Now you're making me curious as to what's served on Billy Bob's flying circus...
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Thumbs up to Compass!

Flew the new Compass operated LAX-DEN route this afternoon (#5872 | 3:10p - 6:28p) and had an excellent experience. The E175 was on it's 7th flight and she was pristine. The crew was fantastic and yes, Compass has catering equipment to serve two meal choices. I felt the crew was very excited to be flying their first E175 for American and it showed in their service.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Any chance at all we'll see the E75 on LAX-OKC? Please, God!!!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:00 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Too much travel
Now you're making me curious as to what's served on Billy Bob's flying circus...
Hopefully funnel cakes and cotton candy
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: Free Agent
Maybe my memory doesn't serve me correctly, but didn't we used to have E175's from LAX to Denver? I've taken that flight a couple times and thought that's what they used.

Is this thread more about Compass?

Either way, glad to see them returning to Denver. Add on the Eagle's nest Admirals club and that's not a bad option vs. United/Southwest.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546
The ERJ-175 is a brand-new frequency. Nothing has been downgraded. AA is going from 4x 738 (which not long ago was 3x 738) to 4x 738 and 1x ERJ-175.

However, now that there are two afternoon AUS-LAX departures, the 4.41pm mainline flight will leave at 5.41p, and then there is the new 3.05pm departure on the ERJ-175.
OK, I see what you're saying - I see now the mainline flight is still there but moving it back makes it useless for connections.

FYI : I haven't looked at other days but the Sunday afternoon flights are definitely operated by Mad Dogs.

I'm trying to get from Austin to Portland on May 10th. Now that afternoon DFW-PDX flights have gone away, if I want to avoid my knees being rammed under my chin when connecting in Phoenix I now have the option of leaving earlier on an E-175 with 3:20 in LAX to connect onto AS567.

Or I can simply take a Compass E-175 with Delta paint on the outside, leaving 4:45pm, 1:25pm in LAX, arriving moments before AS567.

Forgive me but it feels like new-AA is scaling back service to the North West.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
OK, I see what you're saying - I see now the mainline flight is still there but moving it back makes it useless for connections.

FYI : I haven't looked at other days but the Sunday afternoon flights are definitely operated by Mad Dogs.

I'm trying to get from Austin to Portland on May 10th. Now that afternoon DFW-PDX flights have gone away, if I want to avoid my knees being rammed under my chin when connecting in Phoenix I now have the option of leaving earlier on an E-175 with 3:20 in LAX to connect onto AS567.

Or I can simply take a Compass E-175 with Delta paint on the outside, leaving 4:45pm, 1:25pm in LAX, arriving moments before AS567.

Forgive me but it feels like new-AA is scaling back service to the North West.
No kidding - AA operates what now 3x DFW> PDX, and 1x LAX>PDX and 1x ORD>PDX now? Its like they want me to spend more money on Delta, and AS is already my <3
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by MAH4546

However, now that there are two afternon AUS-LAX departures, the 4.41pm mainline flight will leave at 5.41p, and then there is the new 3.05pm departure on the ERJ-175.
There's an A-319 in there somewhere as well, starting May 7...four days a week A319 and three days MD80. Beware of shrinking F cabin. The AA/Eagle manager I spoke with called the E175 to AUS "complimenting to Mainline"
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Any chance at all we'll see the E75 on LAX-OKC? Please, God!!!
Eventually, all Mesa flights will be replaced by Compass
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Personally, I'd rather be on the E175 than the MD80.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
No kidding - AA operates what now 3x DFW> PDX, and 1x LAX>PDX and 1x ORD>PDX now? Its like they want me to spend more money on Delta, and AS is already my <3
I guess they must be scared of the Oregon vampires as they certainly don't like to go to PDX after dark!

I haven't been able to find a sensible way to get back to AUS on a Friday afternoon so I haven't used AA in that direction for some months. Now the AUS-LAX-PDX routing has a long layover it looks like I'll have little option but UA via DEN or DL via SLC - at least they'll sell me MCE assuming I can dodge their CRJ's.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Personally, I'd rather be on the E175 than the MD80.
Each to their own but I'm not a fan of the paper thin seats on the RJ's - give me an MCE seat with a bit more elbow room on a clunker any day of the week. And I definitely prefer the width of the A320 family cabins to the 737's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.