Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Likelihood of AA swapping out 3 class 777 LAX MIA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2015, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Likelihood of AA swapping out 3 class 777 LAX MIA?

I've had a fair share of a/c changes with AA bookings that I've done a few months in advance (last time, the "net result" being even: we "lost" the 763 on MIA LAX (replaced with a 737) but gained the 763 on LAX HNL (replacing the original 757). Think this happened when AA makes changes to summer / winter timetables.

We are looking at flights for November this year and have a reservation which sees us in F on the 777 that operates once a day between LAX and MIA.

What is the likelihood of AA changing the a/c on that flight / that flight (time etc) significantly? We have a connection to london later on.

Am I right I thinking that given we have a First class booking (A class) on a 3 class flights with J class available, they wouldn't "just" move us to an A class (First class) seat on eg a 737 which feel like quite a "downgrade"?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by chris1979
I've had a fair share of a/c changes with AA bookings that I've done a few months in advance (last time, the "net result" being even: we "lost" the 763 on MIA LAX (replaced with a 737) but gained the 763 on LAX HNL (replacing the original 757). Think this happened when AA makes changes to summer / winter timetables.

We are looking at flights for November this year and have a reservation which sees us in F on the 777 that operates once a day between LAX and MIA.

What is the likelihood of AA changing the a/c on that flight / that flight (time etc) significantly? We have a connection to london later on.

Am I right I thinking that given we have a First class booking (A class) on a 3 class flights with J class available, they wouldn't "just" move us to an A class (First class) seat on eg a 737 which feel like quite a "downgrade"?

Thanks in advance.
If AA were to switch from 3-class to 2-class, they are typically willing to open up any seats needed to reaccomodate you on a 3-class plane. LAX-MIA-LHR could turn into LAX-JFK-LHR, etc.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HH Gold
Sorry to hijack the thread.
Today I took AA 1232 a 777 from MIA to LAX in business. I started watching a movie before the flight took off but once the flight took off the entertainment system was reset and movies were gone and their were only 3 channels available.

Is this normal on this flight?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 12:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, Virgin Gold, Marriott Gold
Do a/c type swaps happen often on AA? I've recently defected from UA where these are pretty rare (well, mostly it's quite rare to see anything on domestic flights but the usual narrowbody/recliner F seats, nothing special).

But my 2nd day of flying AA featured a swap from a 2-class 763 to 3-class 777 - I wasn't one to complain since sitting in 3D dropped me in a lie-flat (with a fun turny seat - that was new) instead of an angle-flat.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by valdes
Sorry to hijack the thread.
Today I took AA 1232 a 777 from MIA to LAX in business. I started watching a movie before the flight took off but once the flight took off the entertainment system was reset and movies were gone and their were only 3 channels available.

Is this normal on this flight?
no.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by kon104
Do a/c type swaps happen often on AA? I've recently defected from UA where these are pretty rare (well, mostly it's quite rare to see anything on domestic flights but the usual narrowbody/recliner F seats, nothing special).

But my 2nd day of flying AA featured a swap from a 2-class 763 to 3-class 777 - I wasn't one to complain since sitting in 3D dropped me in a lie-flat (with a fun turny seat - that was new) instead of an angle-flat.
I am not an expert but have had a relatively high swap rate on my previous bookings - but all a few months in advance because some were booked 8+ months in advance and I believe flight numbers and a/c types used can be changed when they adjust summer / winter timetables.

as said, I've been moved fron 763 to 737 which felt like a 'downgrade' and from 757 to 763 ('upgrade') - but all with a few months notice.

Hence my question what might happen if the timetable changes and the 777 on LAX MIA goes later / earlier which won't fit in with my connections.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Virgin Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chris1979
I am not an expert but have had a relatively high swap rate on my previous bookings - but all a few months in advance because some were booked 8+ months in advance and I believe flight numbers and a/c types used can be changed when they adjust summer / winter timetables.

as said, I've been moved fron 763 to 737 which felt like a 'downgrade' and from 757 to 763 ('upgrade') - but all with a few months notice.

Hence my question what might happen if the timetable changes and the 777 on LAX MIA goes later / earlier which won't fit in with my connections.
Gotcha - in my case it was a day-of swap. I'm curious what the actual probability is as well.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA
I am connecting through Miami to LA in April, and so far there have been three changes from 763 to 737 to 777 back to 737 today since July. They keep moving the flight time of the 777, so then I am reassigned to the plane closest to my time it appears.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:35 pm

I'm booked on 252 on the 777 in June (and will bump around *with* the 777 time-wise. I will NOT fly a 737 transcon).

Any word on if MIA-LAX will see a refurbished 777 by then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.