Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat; UA.
[QUOTE=lakersown81;25892398]Anybody have any history/success with an upgrade on GRU-LAX since they have changed it over to the 788? /QUOTE]

On 14 December 2015 the GRU-LAX flight was delayed until Noon, According to the gate agent at least two Business class seats had not been reserved and were available for upgrades.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I just waitlisted my SWU for an LAX-MIA flight because it looks like it will sell out.

If I pull my SWU, say 25 hours ahead, would I still be in the free upgrade queue. I'm thinking I might have to re-request it.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
Originally Posted by lt1GM
Originally Posted by Stripe
I wouldn't worry if J is mostly empty this close to departure. My point was that an empty J cabin months before departure is of little use in predicting an eventual upgrade. Nor apparently is an empty MCE cabin a guarantee you'll be at the top of the wait list.

My guess is your upgrade will clear on Monday.
I am in a similar situation here, booked on Xmas day to FRA and wait listed with SWUs. According to EF ZERO seats in business are taken (except crew rest blocked) and all business buckets are 7. I'm beginning to get paranoid and wonder if they ever close down a premium cabin without paid fares for a particular flight to save $$$...
I don't understand the game anymore or any semblance of it. Flight is two days , only 2 seats taken in J, but no C or U space for last 6 months. Not sure what conditions are for actually opening U or C space. Seems to be a joke of the whole marketed program and no way related to load.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by unhappyflyer
I don't understand the game anymore or any semblance of it. Flight is two days , only 2 seats taken in J, but no C or U space for last 6 months. Not sure what conditions are for actually opening U or C space. Seems to be a joke of the whole marketed program and no way related to load.
Our business cabin on Xmas day is still all empty save for the crew rest seat. Still wait listed. Ridiculous.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
PHX <-> AMS and back on 3/10 and 3/19?

B 757/EXP status/SWU waitlisted
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Our business cabin on Xmas day is still all empty save for the crew rest seat. Still wait listed. Ridiculous.
Got upgraded just now. Noticed online and called in, took 45 minutes to sort out. We are the only ones in the business cabin so far (other than crew rest block) according to EF and fare buckets are now J7 R7 D7 I5. Interestingly, but perhaps not surprisingly, C1 and U0.

While I'm certainly glad that the upgrades came through, I don't like the new super stingy revenue management approach to upgrades and award availability. What, in the next two days they'll sell more than a dozen premium seats on Xmas day?? Makes me wonder how I'll ever be able to use my many miles pre price hike and short of "AAnytime" highway robbery "awards".
Old Dec 23, 2015, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
It appears the upgrade managers are slow to roll. I'm still waiting for my wife's and my upgrade on 12/26 JFK GRU flight that still has over 35 J seats to sell. I'm not worried.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by remedy
PHX <-> AMS and back on 3/10 and 3/19?

B 757/EXP status/SWU waitlisted
Do you mean PHL-AMS maybe?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
Got upgraded just now. Noticed online and called in, took 45 minutes to sort out. We are the only ones in the business cabin so far (other than crew rest block) according to EF and fare buckets are now J7 R7 D7 I5. Interestingly, but perhaps not surprisingly, C1 and U0.

While I'm certainly glad that the upgrades came through, I don't like the new super stingy revenue management approach to upgrades and award availability. What, in the next two days they'll sell more than a dozen premium seats on Xmas day?? Makes me wonder how I'll ever be able to use my many miles pre price hike and short of "AAnytime" highway robbery "awards".
Funny thing the agent talked me out of upgrading the non status pax on the domestic leg. As a consequence of such a late UG they will likely be in Y for domestic. She said these are very competive seats, people are still deciding if they can travel, coach is almost full and there are tons of cancelled flights with weather. My stupidity for agreeing with her.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by teriyaki
Looking into buying Flight out of PVG to LAX on AA 182 on March 28, 2016. Completely new to this, but it looks like AA allows miles + copay to upgrade on discount economy. Would this be a good flight to do it on?
There needs to be inventory available for that type of upgrade, and it's often not available until just before departure date. You can call and be put on a waitlist.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
oops

Yes. Flying from PHX -> PHL, then on to AMS.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Looking at ExpertFlyer for C availability, I have run into cases where if I search just for a nonstop I get C=0 but if I search from a different origin that can connect then on the originally displayed segment I can see C>0.

For example, if I search ORD-LHR on 12/25, AA86 shows C:0. However if I search PHL-LHR on the same day I get AA 1994 connecting to AA86 with C:2 on the latter (the former of course has A not C).

Does the flight in this example have any C availability or not? Why would the two searches show different results? As far as I know, C upgrades do not have married segment logic, since the segments can upgrade independently.

(Note that I am not trying to book a specific flight at this time. I just trying to get a feel for what routes might let my SWU clear vs. routes where I should just pay for business class outright.)
Old Dec 25, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
There's not really much empirical (or even anecdotal) data to go on, so I'm looking for best educated guesses:

Considering travel between LAX and SYD, and between LAX and AKL, on AA metal, which days of the week would probably have the best chances of Y>J SWU clearance?

Bear in mind that Sunday night's departure ex-LAX arrives Tuesday morning, and that Sunday night's departure ex-SYD arrives Sunday morning.

Thanks for your educated guesses!
I would opine that it may mirror DFW-HKG and reverse where the Tue/Wed/Thu flight arrivals that fall right in the middle of a work week will be the easiest. With the date change there will be plenty of people missing the Mon or Fri I suspect.

The good thing about AA starting more "popular" routes like DFW-HKG, LAX-SYD and LAX-AKL is there are more flights where folks will want to burn their SWUs as opposed to everyone flying DFW-HKG.

The cut to 4 SWUs down to 8 will help a lot too. Having 8 does no good if you only fly a few paid intl trips a year and miss on some of them...

Hawaii also needs an SWU now to have a good chance of riding up front.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Admirals Club, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond, National Emerald Executive
My brother is flying 112 from MIA to BCN Jan 11, any idea on if he will hit with a SWU and what version of the 777 it is?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Upgrade percentage: DFW TO STL?

My brother just started working in STL and will be commuting from AUS to STL every week Sunday night to Thursday. Trying to make his decision between AA and WN and I'm wondering how often will he be upgraded to First between DFW and STL (he doesn't care about the AUS-DFW flight). Once he gets to Exec platinum (which would happen the beginning of August), how often can he expect to be upgraded? Because WN has a nonstop AUS-STL and he'd qualify for the companion pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.