Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by casanovawa
Ok I'm ExPlat and I booked two flights today AA72 on 20 Jan and AA73 on 27 Jan for me and my son (no status)... I know these TPAC flights are likely to be pretty difficult for SWUs but I put in my requests today, does anyone have access to EF for those flights to know what numbers look like??
Originally Posted by Hayvenhurst
AA 72 on 20 Jan seems to have quite a few unreserved business seats, and less than half of the MCE seats are presently taken.

AA 73 on 27 Jan will be much tougher to get the upgrades -- presently 21 Business seats are reserved -- as are 19 of the MCE seats.

If upgrades are possible it certainly won't happen earlier than the day before the flight.
Agree with this assessment. 1/20 looks decent

Ist 1/27 the week after asustralia day/vacation ends?

Originally Posted by Johnallent
FWIW, I have kept checking and this flight (AA182 on Jan 5) is still completely zero'ed out. I called the EXP line again and prodded. Agent said "it is completely sold out" and that she has only seen something like this (this= sold out with 1/3 of seats still unassigned) only a few times. I'm starting to become convinced this isn't a glitch, but I really don't want to accept my fate here
AFAIK, agents see what we see on EF. they dont see some manifest with 'real names' and 'actual ticketed seat'.

What is odd is that as a plane fills, the price of seats gets very expemnsive- so what is happening that makes buyers pay more for that plane, in coach and biz, on jan 5? Why is jan 4 and 6 still have cheaper space? Seems and odd pattern.

Hey, its not me- I can think positive!

Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Upgrading from J to F is generally MUCH easier than from Y to J. Looking in June there are many days with J to F upgrade space available on LAX-LHR.

This far out, there really isn't much strategy other than calling the EXP desk and adding your names to the waitlist.

Is your group all on the same PNR? If so, then your biggest issue is that you're looking for 3 seats, and AA's systems will not process you unless 3 seats are released at the same time. You can call AA and have your PNR's split so that you would clear if they're released one at a time, but your companions would lose your EXP status on the waitlist.
I did. Thank you for your insight. AA said the same exact thing and that my chances are pretty good. It is a lot of SWU's to use (6 of them for 3 of us roundtrip). But I figured with just that international AA flight booked for 2016, and my aa EXP status only good til feb (or march) 2017, that's as good as any. But from all the reviews I've read so far, looks like AA first is only marginally better than business.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 12:48 am

Programs: AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Johnallent
FWIW, I have kept checking and this flight (AA182 on Jan 5) is still completely zero'ed out. I called the EXP line again and prodded. Agent said "it is completely sold out" and that she has only seen something like this (this= sold out with 1/3 of seats still unassigned) only a few times. I'm starting to become convinced this isn't a glitch, but I really don't want to accept my fate here
So if you saw my earlier posts I'm pretty much in the same boat but for AA 183 (LAX-PVG). However -- I'm still hopeful as AA 183 on 12/20 (Sunday departure) just went from J0 to J7 in the past couple of days. Unfortunately my Saturday 12/19 flight is still at J0 with a half empty seat map. Coincidence or something greater at play?
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:19 pm

Getting nervous about my SWU upgrade on Dec 21 from DFW to ICN (AA281).. I know seats aren't the true indicator but the business class looks fuller than I thought and I have no idea where I'm at on the waitlist..

Last edited by FlyEveryWeek; Dec 14, 2015 at 8:21 pm
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by supermintyfresh
So if you saw my earlier posts I'm pretty much in the same boat but for AA 183 (LAX-PVG). However -- I'm still hopeful as AA 183 on 12/20 (Sunday departure) just went from J0 to J7 in the past couple of days. Unfortunately my Saturday 12/19 flight is still at J0 with a half empty seat map. Coincidence or something greater at play?
Nice (and lucky)! AA is now selling seats again in coach and J for AA182 on Jan 5 again, which is promising. But chances aren't looking too good according to EF (although 15 seats in J still unassigned):

J1 R1 D0 I0 Y2 B2 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 G0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 T0
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by FlyEveryWeek
Getting nervous about my SWU upgrade on Dec 21 from DFW to ICN (AA281).. I know seats aren't the true indicator but the business class looks fuller than I thought and I have no idea where I'm at on the waitlist..
I hope you're kidding... AA 281 on 12/21 there's like 6/37 business class seats taken. According to EF it's F7 P7 A0 J7 R7 I1 D7 Y7 B7 H3 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 G0 O0. It can't get better than this one week out.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:55 pm

I hope you're kidding... AA 281 on 12/21 there's like 6/37 business class seats taken. According to EF it's F7 P7 A0 J7 R7 I1 D7 Y7 B7 H3 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 G0 O0. It can't get better than this one week out.
Really?? The seat map I was seeing must be lying then.. Well.. Thank you for this information! I really appreciate it!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
At 58 segments so far this year and requalified EXP 2 weeks ago. For SWUs no problem - used all 8 for DFW-LHR + FRA round trips this year, but cleared late on those FRA legs outbound. The other 40+ legs domestic: I was not upgraded for all but 2: and those were last minute sked changes following cancellations. I have no concerns/complaints whatsoever.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AATrout
The other 40+ legs domestic: I was not upgraded for all but 2: and those were last minute sked changes following cancellations
Are you saying you were upgraded for 38 out of 40? Good going if so.

The EXP husband ended up missing 11. One each:

DCA-DFW
DFW-DCA
DFW-SNA
HNL-LAX
LAX-DCA
LAX-KOA
PHX-SNA

and four times SNA-DFW
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA
Question: I requested upgrades (via 500mi stickers) on a flight this spring. Turns out I will be losing status before then (bummer). What happens in that scenario? My assumption is nothing (i.e., as if I had not requested the upgrades). Any reason I should un-request the upgrades? My only fear would be being pulled from the economy pool, then them realizing I am not eligible to upgrade and losing my economy seat selection (or seat entirely).
Old Dec 16, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Can someone confirm that if aa.com isn't selling F anymore, the chances of upgrading are zero? I'm even more confused because the seatmap is showing 7 open of 14...do that many people not choose seats even within 24 hours of a flight?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: I'm a nobody everywhere
Looking into buying Flight out of PVG to LAX on AA 182 on March 28, 2016. Completely new to this, but it looks like AA allows miles + copay to upgrade on discount economy. Would this be a good flight to do it on?
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by teriyaki
Looking into buying Flight out of PVG to LAX on AA 182 on March 28, 2016. Completely new to this, but it looks like AA allows miles + copay to upgrade on discount economy. Would this be a good flight to do it on?
China-US AA flights are definitely one of the easier flights to upgrade using miles+copay or SWU -- I would say go for it and put in your upgrade early! Since you're leaving on a weekday that should improve your odds a bit.

Do you have ExpertFlyer? Wouldn't hurt setting an alert for C class availability and calling it in once it becomes available. Some agents will process the upgrade right away, even bypassing EXP's on the waitlist from what I gather from earlier posts.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Do you have ExpertFlyer? Wouldn't hurt setting an alert for C class availability and calling it in once it becomes available.
^
Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:09 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Kate2015
Can someone confirm that if aa.com isn't selling F anymore, the chances of upgrading are zero? I'm even more confused because the seatmap is showing 7 open of 14...do that many people not choose seats even within 24 hours of a flight?
No. Even as a Gold I have been upgraded when this happened.

They will sometimes stop selling F if Y is oversold or in certain other situations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.