Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE":
Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (FLAME FREE)

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE threads are archived here

And

2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

Print Wikipost

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:57 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JDiver
If you were earning AA miles, contact them first. Read more in this useful thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Alternately, if you want to credit the UA flight to a Star programme, you'll have to check your preferred carrier's miles earning scheme.
Thank you JDiver I will take a look through that thread. I am thinking I will send it over to Turkish I just wanted to make sure it would be okay to double dip.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Thank you JDiver I will take a look through that thread. I am thinking I will send it over to Turkish I just wanted to make sure it would be okay to double dip.
Technically, if you ask the airlines, it's not so OK. Some have reported doing that successfully; it's nice when it happens.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLT.
May I ask a question please? I'm absolutely new to AA.
Ticket purchased, no hold option offered on the AA website. I had just signed up to a PLT challenge, but because I'd done that ten minutes before making the booking, my status didn't "take" and so things like preferred seating etc. were not available.
I called AA, the agent said to cancel the booking and make a fresh one, then apply for a refund via the website. This was all within two hours of making the initial booking.
The refund section doesn't seem to recognise my original ticket number.
Does this mean the ticket hadn't issued, and so I caught it in time? I'm a bit confused at to how the 24hr rule works with AA, especially as there wasn't the hold option offered at the time of booking.

Many thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Technically, if you ask the airlines, it's not so OK. Some have reported doing that successfully; it's nice when it happens.
Yeah thats how I was looking at it. If they credit it the cool if not I'm just happy I got home before a blizzard.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by rpjepson
Ticket purchased, no hold option offered on the AA website. I had just signed up to a PLT challenge, but because I'd done that ten minutes before making the booking, my status didn't "take" and so things like preferred seating etc. were not available.
I called AA, the agent said to cancel the booking and make a fresh one, then apply for a refund via the website. This was all within two hours of making the initial booking.
Does this mean the ticket hadn't issued, and so I caught it in time? I'm a bit confused at to how the 24hr rule works with AA, especially as there wasn't the hold option offered at the time of booking.

Many thanks.
If this is the standard publicly available PLT challenge, then you don't get the status until the challenge is completed. There's no trial status for flights taken to satisfy the challenge.

If this is a private/targeted offer that does promise status during the challenge, then you should be able to call AA once your status shows in the system (check your account page online) and ask them to "refresh" your AAdvantage number to get the status benefits, including seat selection.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm a bit confused at to how the 24hr rule works with AA, especially as there wasn't the hold option offered at the time of booking.

Many thanks.
Was this a booking containing partner flights? I've also noticed that my international bookings lack a hold option. In these cases I've always believed that the 24 h cancellation rule is in effect. Hopefully someone with more experience can confirm this.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks.
If you booked a flight to be taken within seven days, a 24 hour hold does not need to be offered (nor the 24 hour cancelation period provided by other U.S. airlines following the USDOT 24 hour cancellation directive).

I'd probably call at this point to see what your ticket status is.

Others have discussed how the Challenge works.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:55 pm

Hi, I have a question. I am shooting to go to Japan in March 2016 for 2. I really want to go to Japan and HKG. I want to fly Business or higher from LAX via Cathay (never flew Cathay before).

AA about 100k-150k miles
BA 0 miles, but can transfer from MR (I think the 40% bonus ends soon).

I did a test Search on the BA website (for sometime in Dec 2015) for LAX to HKG, and Cathay seats are available. (direct flight).

I see that JAL is available also with a connection in NAR. I don't mind flying JAL either. But how do I book so that I can have a week stop over in Japan or HKG?

Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sosamo
Hi, I have a question. I am shooting to go to Japan in March 2016 for 2. I really want to go to Japan and HKG. I want to fly Business or higher from LAX via Cathay (never flew Cathay before).

AA about 100k-150k miles
BA 0 miles, but can transfer from MR (I think the 40% bonus ends soon).

I did a test Search on the BA website (for sometime in Dec 2015) for LAX to HKG, and Cathay seats are available. (direct flight).

I see that JAL is available also with a connection in NAR. I don't mind flying JAL either. But how do I book so that I can have a week stop over in Japan or HKG?

Thanks.
You can't. Awards do not allow stopovers (on international, maximum 23:59) and AA don't allow flying US-JP via HKG; that would require two awards, as would a stopover in Japan en route to Hong Kong.

You could fly one award to / from Japan, another to /from Japan and use a third award or low fare to connect the two.

Also, I doubt your intent is to fly to Puerto Nare, Colombia; I imagine you mean NRT, Narita International Airport in Chiba Prefecture, serving Tokyo, right?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 2:40 pm

You can't. Awards do not allow stopovers (on international, maximum 23:59) and AA don't allow flying US-JP via HKG; that would require two awards, as would a stopover in Japan en route to Hong Kong.

You could fly one award to / from Japan, another to /from Japan and use a third award or low fare to connect the two.

Also, I doubt your intent is to fly to Puerto Nare, Colombia; I imagine you mean NRT, Narita International Airport in Chiba Prefecture, serving Tokyo, right?
Haha. thanks. I was also thinking about Singapore Airline as an option to get to Japan. LAX to NAR in Suite Class (I would have to transfer UR and MR points to Krisflyer)

Maybe Mix and Match flights like:

LAX to NAR via Singapore Suite Class (Krisflyer miles)
NAR to HKG via JAL or Cathay Business(BA or AA miles)
HKG to LAX via Cathay Business/First(BA or AA miles)

Does this look doable if award seats are available? 150k BA miles, 100-150k AA miles, and about 300k total UR/MR points.

Thanks.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Haha. thanks. I was also thinking about Singapore Airline as an option to get to Japan. LAX to NAR in Suite Class (I would have to transfer UR and MR points to Krisflyer)

Maybe Mix and Match flights like:

LAX to NAR via Singapore Suite Class (Krisflyer miles)
NAR to HKG via JAL or Cathay Business(BA or AA miles)
HKG to LAX via Cathay Business/First(BA or AA miles)

Does this look doable if award seats are available? 150k BA miles, 100-150k AA miles, and about 300k total UR/MR points.

Thanks.
Does SQ allow LAX-NRT via SIN?

NRT-HKG should be fine, and so should HGK-LAX - as long as award seats are available, of course.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:14 pm

Does SQ allow LAX-NRT via SIN?

NRT-HKG should be fine, and so should HKG-LAX - as long as award seats are available, of course.
Might want to check your own airport code designations JDiver, while you're pointing them out to others
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:20 pm

One of my plan for 2016 was LAX to SIN with a stopover in NRT (I think this possible if seats are available). But I changed my mind about going to Singapore. Now I want Japan and Hong Kong.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:26 pm

One of my plan for 2016 was LAX to SIN with a stopover in NRT (I think this possible if seats are available). But I changed my mind about going to Singapore. Now I want Japan and Hong Kong.
AA still doesn't allow stopovers (a <24hour layover in TYO en route to HKG would be allowed, but not the other way around), so you're still looking at three awards.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
Called AA earlier this afternoon and spoke with a very friendly agent and her supervisor. They said they could not give me ORC because I was traveling on British Airways, and British Airways decided to put me on a different carrier so it was out of their control. They both apologized and said there was nothing they could do. I guess it makes sense just sucks to loose out on almost 4k PQMs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.