Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE":
Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (FLAME FREE)

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE threads are archived here

And

2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

[2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free) can be read here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...lame-free.html

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 31, 2014 at 10:56 pm
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, BA, DL
changing award dates

For AA awards do you have one year from the date of issue to commence travel or does the trip need to be completed by the date of issue? Example on Oct 1, 2014, I booked an award to go from NYC to Tokyo Oct 7th and return from Tokyo to NYC on Oct 14. Must the Tokyo to NYC be completed by Oct 1, 2015 or just the NYC to Tokyo leg? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by 2stepsbehind
For AA awards do you have one year from the date of issue to commence travel or does the trip need to be completed by the date of issue? Example on Oct 1, 2014, I booked an award to go from NYC to Tokyo Oct 7th and return from Tokyo to NYC on Oct 14. Must the Tokyo to NYC be completed by Oct 1, 2015 or just the NYC to Tokyo leg? Thanks in advance.
All travel on an award (including the return flight if you booked a roundtrip itinerary) must commence within one year of ticket issuance. A roundtrip award itinerary is simply the combination of two one-way awards, and the requirement that travel commence within one year of ticketing applies with equal force to each of those awards.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:19 pm

I can't find a thread that answers this question: how long does it typically take for US-marketed flights on AA metal to post to Aadvantage? I flew AA on a ticket sold by US on the 20th of December, and those miles have still not posted. It's not been long enough to legitimately request the miles, but surely it doesn't take 12 days long for that information to make its way between US and AA systems...?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:52 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by danielm
I can't find a thread that answers this question: how long does it typically take for US-marketed flights on AA metal to post to Aadvantage? I flew AA on a ticket sold by US on the 20th of December, and those miles have still not posted. It's not been long enough to legitimately request the miles, but surely it doesn't take 12 days long for that information to make its way between US and AA systems...?
(For future reference: I went to "Search this Forum," did an "Advanced Search" and did a title search on the word "post" -the thread below was the fourth thread returned.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ghts-post.html

Consensus seems to be 2-3 days for miles to post. After that, you'll probably want to make a call and ask for those miles to be posted manually.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
I cannot seem to find the answer to my question.
I have a BA account with few miles.
I have an AA account with many miles.
Can i book a BA flight on BA.COM using AA miles? if yes, how do I do this?
thanks
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Can i book a BA flight on BA.COM using AA miles?"

No, you cannot. However, you can book a BA flight on aa.com using AA miles (at the AAdvantage program's redemption rates). Be prepared to pay the cash surcharges associated with award travel on BA flights.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by JY1024
(For future reference: I went to "Search this Forum," did an "Advanced Search" and did a title search on the word "post" -the thread below was the fourth thread returned.)
Great! I will go about trying to get these miles manually then, and also brush up on my searching skills! Thank you.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I'm a newbie to AA GLD. I also have an AA Platinum Select credit card.

I recently flew SAD->DFW->RDU on a Y fare ticket. I'd read on the AA website about complimentary upgrades for GLD and PLT members provided they were flying on full-fare tickets, and there was availability.

When requesting a complimentary upgrade at both baggage checkin, and at the Admirals Club lounge, I was told that this benefit did not exist (or that I was not eligible for it and needed the AA Executive credit card). I was offered the opportunity to upgrade using 500 mile purchases.

I've just rechecked the AA website, and the GLD program documentation and this benefit does indeed exist.

Who is right here? The checkin and lounge agents, or the AA documentation? Has this benefit been removed recently?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by danielch

I recently flew SAD->DFW->RDU on a Y fare ticket. I'd read on the AA website about complimentary upgrades for GLD and PLT members provided they were flying on full-fare tickets, and there was availability.

When requesting a complimentary upgrade at both baggage checkin, and at the Admirals Club lounge, I was told that this benefit did not exist (or that I was not eligible for it and needed the AA Executive credit card). I was offered the opportunity to upgrade using 500 mile purchases.

I've just rechecked the AA website, and the GLD program documentation and this benefit does indeed exist.

Who is right here? The checkin and lounge agents, or the AA documentation? Has this benefit been removed recently?
Welcome to FT.

The website is correct.

Are you sure you were traveling on a true full fare ticket (Y or B fare basis, excluding military/government fares)?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
AA #203 14 hour delay

My wife and stepson flew from SFO-MIA-CWB-POA on 12/23/14 in economy.
The scheduled 09:45 departure of AA 203 was delayed for 14 hours for mechanical reasons that were never further explained.
They each received US$12 food voucher that got them part of a hamburger.
We are all AA mileage members but do not have status.
This simply seems outrageous to me and since she is fairly reserved, did not make a scene at the gate in MIA as some passengers did.
As the scheduled arr time in POA was 00:08, the delayed arrival at 14:10 was technically on the same calendar day.
Is there any recourse or other compensation that they should receive?
Thanks.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by danielch

The credit card has no relevance to upgrade eligibility.

As for the complementary GLD upgrades: are you certain you were on a full-fare economy ticket - which would be "Y" or "B" or simply flying in the economy cabin - which happens to be the "Y" cabin?

As explained on aa.com, complementary upgrades - subject to availability - are given to

AAdvantage Executive Platinum members traveling on any published fare, and AAdvantage PlatinumŽ and AAdvantage GoldŽ members traveling on fares booked in Y or B (excluding military/government fares).
"Sticker" upgrades - subject to availability - are processed for

AAdvantage Executive Platinum members upgrading companions traveling on any published fare, AAdvantage Platinum and AAdvantage Gold members traveling on any published fare, non-elite members traveling on fares booked in Y or B.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by x1achilles
My wife and stepson flew from SFO-MIA-CWB-POA on 12/23/14 in economy.
The scheduled 09:45 departure of AA 203 was delayed for 14 hours for mechanical reasons that were never further explained.
They each received US$12 food voucher that got them part of a hamburger.
We are all AA mileage members but do not have status.
This simply seems outrageous to me and since she is fairly reserved, did not make a scene at the gate in MIA as some passengers did.
As the scheduled arr time in POA was 00:08, the delayed arrival at 14:10 was technically on the same calendar day.
Is there any recourse or other compensation that they should receive?
Thanks.
Usually a mechanical delay of that length will result in some miles being placed in the traveler(s) account. Have you checked their AAdvantage account to see if that is the case? If not, you can email AAs customer service and will likely receive some miles.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by bdemaria
The credit card has no relevance to upgrade eligibility.

As for the complementary GLD upgrades: are you certain you were on a full-fare economy ticket - which would be "Y" or "B" or simply flying in the economy cabin - which happens to be the "Y" cabin?
Got it. Revisiting the ticket receipt, it looks like we flew on V and S fare tickets.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Flying DFW-NRT-CGK and I no longer need to go to CGK. Will AA allow me to cancel the NRT-CGK-NRT segments without penalty? I could use the extra time for business in Tokyo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.