Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did AA run FL (AirTran) off the TPA-MIA route?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2004, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Did AA run FL (AirTran) off the TPA-MIA route?

You may remember that a few years ago FL (AirTran) started up multiple daily service between TPA and MIA, at the urging of many Florida businesses (backed by some upfront $$$), who were fed up with paying high fares for this short hop (it's only a 4-5h drive on the Alligator Parkway in good traffic).

Anyway, FL had I think 3 daily flights on B717s - then the gradually downsized them to CRJs operated by Air Wisconsin.

The lowest fares were originally around $25 each way (no SAT night stay), then $30, $40 and finally - $49 each way. AA, US and CO matched. I guess at $25 each way even FL may have had trouble making money, but $49 each way did not seem that bad.

FL (AirTran) seems to now have abandoned the route. Concurrently, AA increased their flights to 4x daily M80/757 (they used to run AT7 turboprops a few years ago), while US has downsized from DH8 (50 seats) to B19 (19 seats) turboprops.

More importantly, the lowest advanced purchase fare is now $128 roundtrip, with a SAT night stay!!!
Old Jan 25, 2004, 11:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BackOfTheBus:
You may remember that a few years ago FL (AirTran) started up multiple daily service between TPA and MIA, at the urging of many Florida businesses (backed by some upfront $$$), who were fed up with paying high fares for this short hop (it's only a 4-5h drive on the Alligator Parkway in good traffic).

Anyway, FL had I think 3 daily flights on B717s - then the gradually downsized them to CRJs operated by Air Wisconsin.

The lowest fares were originally around $25 each way (no SAT night stay), then $30, $40 and finally - $49 each way. AA, US and CO matched. I guess at $25 each way even FL may have had trouble making money, but $49 each way did not seem that bad.

FL (AirTran) seems to now have abandoned the route. Concurrently, AA increased their flights to 4x daily M80/757 (they used to run AT7 turboprops a few years ago), while US has downsized from DH8 (50 seats) to B19 (19 seats) turboprops.

More importantly, the lowest advanced purchase fare is now $128 roundtrip, with a SAT night stay!!!
</font>

It's also a great feeder route for AA. Who wants to drive from TPA to MIA if you're going to Europe or South America/Caribbean? AA sees this as a great feeder and anything above is pure honey. As a feeder route it's only few dollars more above ex-MIA flights. On it's own, it's pure profit for AA.

CO has few daily flights between SRQ-TPA (Less than 1 hour drive), and I would never do it as just that, but I'm sure CO treats it also as a feeder and the rest is pure profit. BTW, that flight is $158 R/T.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
BINGO on the feeder route issue.
Many other examples can be given including my home town MKE-ORD. I can be from my front door to Cheesecake factory on Michigan Ave in about 90 minutes with an I-pass. Or take 3+ hours to get to the airport and fly down for around $150 on a good day!
Old Jan 25, 2004, 11:48 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
The flight acts for as a feeder route than anything else. It wasn't American that ran airTran off, it was more likely Southwest and thier 13 daily non-stop between Miami (Lauderdale) and Tampa. They are the dominate carrier on the route, and that won't change. Though, to note, when it was downgraded to CRJs, the flight also went up to 5x daily.

Also on the topic of ridiculous inter-state fares, if you think that $128 rtn on MIA-TPA is high, don't look up fares for Continental's new MIA-APF service. Continental Connection is charing upwards of $250 for the 93mi trip over Alligator Alley. Their MIA-APF service is the only scheduled airline service to/from Naples.
Old Jan 25, 2004, 1:38 pm
Val

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 Million Miles
You're right on the 90 minute drive. I run up at about 5:45am every couple of months.

Actually doing an AA RT there next Saturday with a 30 minute turn around in order to complete my 10K miles for Fly04. Cost was $102.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by crAAzy:
BINGO on the feeder route issue.
Many other examples can be given including my home town MKE-ORD. I can be from my front door to Cheesecake factory on Michigan Ave in about 90 minutes with an I-pass. Or take 3+ hours to get to the airport and fly down for around $150 on a good day!
</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.