Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA 3556 from ORF to LGA how close did we come?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton, Delta
AA 3556 from ORF to LGA how close did we come?

Today I rebooked myself and my wife from delta flight 6252 to American flight 3556 from ORF to LGA, because of what looked like an extended delay. On final decent in to LGA at what seem like the very last second we aborted landing and came back around. Several of the passengers on the right side of the plane started flipping out because there was a jet still on the runway. A few minutes later the pilot came on the over head system and announced that the runway was not clear and they sent us around in a very matter a fact tone.

Can anyone who is comfortable with flight tracker tell me how close we really came. I was on the left side of the plane and was clueless to the whole thing. It was clear skies and I am glad our pilot was on his toes.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 2:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Happens all the time and its a non-event.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Happened to me a couple weeks ago. Unwanted runway incursions are surprisingly frequent.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:47 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
Happened to me a couple weeks ago. Unwanted runway incursions are surprisingly frequent.
Is there such a thing as a wanted runway incursion?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Fairly common now. A few years ago, on a flight from HNL to LAX, we were on final and almost ready to touch down when the plane suddenly banked over the restaurant/thingie that looks like a flying saucer between the two rows of terminals at LAX. Never thought I would get such a view of it. We went around, got back in the order, and landed without incident. Still remember it. Surprisingly, there was no panic or screaming or praying.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by idoc6
Today I rebooked myself and my wife from delta flight 6252 to American flight 3556 from ORF to LGA, because of what looked like an extended delay. On final decent in to LGA at what seem like the very last second we aborted landing and came back around. Several of the passengers on the right side of the plane started flipping out because there was a jet still on the runway. A few minutes later the pilot came on the over head system and announced that the runway was not clear and they sent us around in a very matter a fact tone.

Can anyone who is comfortable with flight tracker tell me how close we really came. I was on the left side of the plane and was clueless to the whole thing. It was clear skies and I am glad our pilot was on his toes.
Almost certainly a non-event. I've had a dozen of these in my life, including twice on the same landing at ORD during a snowstorm. Nothing to "flip-out" about, but it could be unnerving to those who have not experienced it before. It's called a "go-around" and happens somewhere every day.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:41 am

Come down here to VA and spot DCA traffic from Gravelly Point on a busy Sunday afternoon; you'll probably see at least one or two go-arounds. Quite common.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
To be fair, I can tell you as a pilot that a go-around is certainly not a desired outcome. They're are not "planned for" or a total "non-issue."

Do they happen frequently? Yes. Are pilots well-trained for them? Certainly. Were you in danger of imminent death or injury? Probably not because of the first two points. But, they are definitely not what the FAA, the airport, the airline or the pilot would prefer happen.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
To be fair, I can tell you as a pilot that a go-around is certainly not a desired outcome. They're are not "planned for" or a total "non-issue."

Do they happen frequently? Yes. Are pilots well-trained for them? Certainly. Were you in danger of imminent death or injury? Probably not because of the first two points. But, they are definitely not what the FAA, the airport, the airline or the pilot would prefer happen.
Thank you for a sensible post. I have been involved in perhaps 8-10 of these events in my 25 years and 2.5 MM miles or so of flying. Only once did I think the plane was in imminent threat of crashing. And that was enough. I don't fly to get my thrills!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton, Delta
Thank you for the replys. I was on the other side of the plane so I never saw a thing but judging by the look on some of the passengers faces on the right side of the plane I guess it was close. I think it's alway important to remember that I have had lots of close calls on the way to the airport and in 43 years of flying this is my first close call that I can remember.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I've experienced a couple over the years. One of them was certainly not a non-event, at least to me. (Yes, I know it's not a runway incursion story, but it was a go-around):

Back in 2001 or so, I was on an AA MD-80 coming into BWI. We circled for a while after the pilot told us it was too windy to land. He then announced he was going to give it a try. We were getting blown around as hard as I've ever felt on a commercial jet, and suddenly I heard the automated cockpit voice command, "Pull up! Pull up!" (I was sitting in the first row of F) All I could think is that is the last thing you hear when they play the black box recording on a TV documentary about an air disaster. That was the only time I have ever been outright scared on a commercial airliner.

We did pull up, though and the pilot announced we were diverting to DCA. However, we circled for a while and he said we were going to give it another try. I was sweating bullets, but we made it.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
This has separately happened to every member of my family.

My mom (who rarely flies) had a double go-around once flying into DTW.

I've had several back when I used to fly out of MDW (Short runways?). Most memorable was when we actually touched down then immediately lifted back up in TVC because there was apparently a cessna broken down on the runway directly in front of us. I'd say that was by far the closest call.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Advanatge
Try flying in and out of LAX a lot.....unofficial incursion capital of the world.

Cheers,
AA777
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Just had one today at DFW - flight 1138 from LGA. No commentary or explanation offered after landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.