Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-->LGA same day standby?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:54 am
Original Poster

JFK-->LGA same day standby?

I've got a flight JFK-YUL departing at 9am tomorrow but would like to switch to LGA-YUL on the same day but departing later at 1240pm. I would like to be on the same flight as my mom (she is confirmed out of LGA) and availability is looking good.

Gate agent at JFK said this is not a problem for same day standby (am elite OW) as JFK EWR LGA are all considered as the same airport for the purposes of same day standby.

Called AA ticketing and agent said they would not allow this as LGA and JFK are different airports and even if I paid US$75 for a confirmed same day change within 24 hours of departure they would not process this (let alone same day standby). AA ticketing even went to say counter agents are talking out of their *&@!!

To make matters more complicated, I read on the wiki that if the flight you intend to standby on is later than your original ticketed flight, you need to call AA to make sure they cancel out the original flight or you will be considered a no-show and ticket will be useless.

Would be grateful if anyone could clarify!

Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
LGA/JFK/EWR are identified as "co-terminals" therefore allowing you to standby/change from one to another is allowed w/o any sort of fee - provided you have a fare that allows it.

It is correct that if you dont let AA know about standing by for a later flight, you will likely be considered a no show for the earlier flight and have your ticket cancelled.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria
LGA/JFK/EWR are identified as "co-terminals" therefore allowing you to standby/change from one to another is allowed w/o any sort of fee - provided you have a fare that allows it.

It is correct that if you dont let AA know about standing by for a later flight, you will likely be considered a no show for the earlier flight and have your ticket cancelled.
Thanks for the clarification. When you mean fare that allows it - this is actually the last sector as part of YUL-JFK-LAX-JFK-YUL. I just switched onto an earlier flight on the LAX-JFK leg without any issues whatsoever (gate standby no charge). But I'm not sure if my ticket as a whole has a particular restriction on NYC airport changes.

As for letting AA know - I did try to tell the ticketing agent this on the phone but she would not take any of it, only offering to re-route my ticket (not even the $75 change) so that would be $200 + fare difference. Perhaps I'll try call again...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
You can take a look at the fare rules. I believe there's a field called "fare applications" that may or may not say something along the lines of "travel must include JFK airport".
Old Sep 29, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Is it possible that the issue here is that OP is OW elite but not AA elite? I thought free same day standby was only for AA elites...
Old Sep 29, 2014, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by ericgdukie44
Is it possible that the issue here is that OP is OW elite but not AA elite? I thought free same day standby was only for AA elites...
Even then, people who aren't Elite on AA can pay $75 to standby.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I don't think that is accurate even on a fare that is applicable for LGA/JFK/EWR.

Even an unrestricted fare carries the standard template of:
3. STANDBY IS PERMITTED FOR SAME DAY AA NONSTOP AND/OR CONNECTING FLIGHTS BETWEEN THE SAME ORIGIN AND DESTINATION AIRPORTS PROVIDED THE ROUTING IS APPLICABLE FOR THE FARE CHARGED.
SDFC will allow you to go from LGA/JFK. Not sure on EWR.

With IRROPS, then everything is allowed.

On non-stop flights, you can request SDFC or standby online.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by ericgdukie44
No.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/stan...ptionsList.jsp

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by seawolf
I don't think that is accurate even on a fare that is applicable for LGA/JFK/EWR.

Even an unrestricted fare carries the standard template of:

SDFC will allow you to go from LGA/JFK. Not sure on EWR.

With IRROPS, then everything is allowed.

On non-stop flights, you can request SDFC or standby online.
Airports designated as "co-terminals" are considered the same airport
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Do you have a reference supporting that? I haven't seen any AA material or AA experience supporting that. As far as I'm aware, co-terminals is using for faring and IRROPS (JFK/LGA will be NYC). Even EWR is considered another market for fare purposes. The only use of co-terminal I've seen is if during IRROPS, the airline gets you to a co-terminal airport, their obligation is considered complete. During scheduled changes, you can change to a co-terminal as part of being reaccomodated.

Award travel also does not treat these co-terminals as "same airport" as trying to switch an origin/destination airport even between JFK/LGA will result in a $150 change fee.

Various gate agents/AAdmirals Club agents in ORD/MIA/DFW/YUL/YYZ have been communicating a consistent message that you can't standby between JFK/LGA. You can, however, get IRROPS over to JFK/LGA/EWR.

If you refer to the old standard template for standby and SDFC, you still see there used to be a subtle distinction between standby and SDFC. Standby is limited to airport where as SDFC is limited to point. What that means it that under the old fare rules, standby is limited to airport while SDFC allows you to switch LGA/JFK after paying the fee. Nowadays it seems SDFC is also limited to airport as that language has been removed.

This is all consistent with what OP described.

Last edited by seawolf; Sep 30, 2014 at 10:13 pm
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:51 am
Suspended

This is most definitely incorrect.

A co-terminal is defined as two or more relatively adjacent airports, which for the purpose of fare construction are the same point.

Co-terminal airports are listed below:
BWI - DCA/ IAD
FLL - PBI - MIA
LAX - ONT - BUR - SNA - LGB SFO - SJC - OAK
JFK/ LGA - EWR- HPN

Once a passenger has been ticketed or has departed, a change from one co-terminal airport to another co-terminal airport, whether confirmed or standby, will not be allowed, as this is a reroute. This does not apply to multi-city airports.

Note - Does not apply to AAdvantage

Co-terminals should not be confused with multi-airport cities. Changes, confirmed or standby, from one of these airports to another airport serving the same city may be permitted.

It is not a change of routing unless fare is airport specific, then passenger may not standby. Add collect to an applicable fare for confirmed changes.
Multi-airport cities are not the same as co-terminals.

Co-terminals are two or more nearby cities, considered the same point for the purpose of fare construction only.

Changing from one co-terminal to another can be rerouting if actually changing from one city to another which would require a reissue.

American Airlines (AA) MAC city locations

Airport Code
Both Airports Shown As:
DCA - IAD WAS in the fare calculation line

DFW - DAL DFW in the fare calculation line

HOU - IAH HOU in the fare calculation line

JFK - LGA NYC in the fare calculation line

LGW - LHR - STN LON in the fare calculation line

UVF - SLU SLU in the fare calculation line

HND - NRT TYO in the fare calculation line

Passenger holding an airport specific fare must have the ticket reissued before traveling out of any other airport not listed on ticket.

See fare rules for reroute.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:07 am
Suspended

Further, I asked:

and, so-- to see if I understand at ALL-- even though JFK and LGA are MACs (which I can see is definitley different than co-terminals) -- switching between the 2 still will/could trigger re-issue based on the ticket conditions?
Answer was "Yes."
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:29 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
As usual, JonNYC has posted the correct rules around how JFK/LGA are treated, and that EWR is not considered part of the MAC area for NYC.

However, as with many things in the course of air travel, YMMV in practice. I have found being very polite, and asking a GA working the flight I desire if I can hop on, has resulted in quite a few times where I've been accommodated to EWR if I was ticketed to LGA and that flight was sooner (or v.v.).

I have always considered this an exception and done at the discretion of the GA. When I have been refused, I have simply thanked the agent and said it was worth a shot, and moved on.

FWIW, I have had more success with this from ORD where the frequencies are much higher to the NY area than I have from DFW. Not sure if it matters though.

Just to add, after re-reading seawolf's post above, it's entirely possible that AA has tightened down this practice as it has easily been almost a year since the last time I can remember actually switching airports. So best to plan for the rules to be adhered to, and to appreciate the exception if they aren't.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Back in June, I was able to SDFC an EWR-ORD into an LGA-ORD. Perhaps the policy has changed since then.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
I think the problem is he wants to change a transfer airport in the middle of an itin. He's flying LAX-JFK and then wants an XLGA-YUL change to the itin. It's not a simple destination change like ORD-LGA switch to ORD-EWR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.