Search

ADVICE REQUESTED: Mileage run gone awry

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold

Hey folks - I am wondering if anyone has any advice on this:

I am on a short time crunch to get a mileage run knocked out before I deploy with military to requalify EXP. My routing was:
SAN MIA DFW ICN DFW SAN.

The flight out of MIA was delayed due to mechanical (281) which caused me to miss my connection out of DFW to ICN. I was on the 2.8 hour layover to fly back to DFW. They rebooked me to NRT but not sure after that.

I actually leave Friday with military so not sure how to proceed. Because it was mechanical would I still get EQM credit for the flight? This run literally put me at 100,215. This new out and back I fall short.

Suggestions (constructive) are much welcome.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
Hey folks - I am wondering if anyone has any advice on this:

I am on a short time crunch to get a mileage run knocked out before I deploy with military to requalify EXP. My routing was:
SAN MIA DFW ICN DFW SAN.

The flight out of MIA was delayed due to mechanical (281) which caused me to miss my connection out of DFW to ICN. I was on the 2.8 hour layover to fly back to DFW. They rebooked me to NRT but not sure after that.

I actually leave Friday with military so not sure how to proceed. Because it was mechanical would I still get EQM credit for the flight? This run literally put me at 100,215. This new out and back I fall short.

Suggestions (constructive) are much welcome.
You can always cancel for "trip in vain" and then get a refund or rebook for the future. You could always try to "trip in vain" without refund and ask for Original Routing Credit... but I would be surprised if they would do that.

I would make sure you go talk to someone (Admirals Club would be best) to get a printout of your full itinerary and what you are confirmed on. They obviously have changed the whole thing if they cant get you to ICN in time to come back.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: AA EXP
As a retired JAG, my advice is qualifying this week for EXP status is much less of an issue/problem than missing movement with your military unit.
Whatever the fix is for the mechanical, don't let a mileage run get you in trouble with the military.
Keep in mind there could be a mechanical or weather issue on your return flight as well.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
I have a three day window. It's an out and back so I could slide one day even two but that's cutting it close!
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:03 am

I see no reason why original routing credit would be denied if you actually make it to ICN but agree that in your shoes I would ask to cut that out without refund and request ORC. No way I'd have done it that close to redeployment in the first place!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3MM - DL - UA - HHONORS - HYATT - MARRIOTT - SPG
I would call the EXP desk from the Admirals Club front desk agents phone and request Original Routing Credit based on the "purchased" ticket regardless of the final mileage amount you expect to accrue because of the mechanical issue. Explain the mileage run solely for EXP purposes and military deployment. Have them document this in the file.

I booked DFW-ORD-SJC-NRT-SJC-ORD-DFW out and back for an EXP run on a bonus promotion. When I arrived in SJC outbound, they were severely oversold and after explaining to the gate agent what I was doing, we called the EXP desk and I agreed to the $1,000 voucher, First Class back to DFW on the next flight, and ORC for all segments purchased.

I was delighted to avoid almost 13,000 miles in economy seats and the fact they also credited me with the First Class mileage from SJC-DFW was nice, but likely an error by AA.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:51 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by imapilotaz
You could always try to "trip in vain" without refund and ask for Original Routing Credit... but I would be surprised if they would do that.
I wouldn't be surprised - I've read many stories of routing credit being granted for trips in vain on FT (although noting that most of my experience is on the UA forum).

Keep in mind also that it often saves airlines a lot of trouble to avoid accommodating pax on irrops, especially when it's the airline's fault.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: DL PM
Deleted
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by AA-Flyer-SAN
I actually leave Friday with military so not sure how to proceed.
Can you delegate or find a backup for a few days? I would be surprised if they don't have other personnel or resources for a short period and can't cover your absence. Can you talk to your superior officer? Most people realise that stuff happens, and be a little flexible. I'm assuming this is not a "make or break" situation.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by bmchris
Can you delegate or find a backup for a few days? I would be surprised if they don't have other personnel or resources for a short period and can't cover your absence. Can you talk to your superior officer? Most people realise that stuff happens, and be a little flexible. I'm assuming this is not a "make or break" situation.
From your post, I doubt you spent time in the military. Missing movement or failure to report are serious offenses under the UCMJ. Since he has orders, the idea that he would call his superior officer to report late because of a mileage run is just a really bad idea. "Delegate or find a backup" - not in the military.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Surely you're joking.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Surely you're joking.
I think I'm missing something. Nothing I've seen shows this as being mission critical. Unless there is some jargon that I'm misunderstanding that states that. Naturally, I understand that this may be a secret situation and information can't be shared openly.

Perhaps the OP can look into HR policies to see if there is any leeway there? I ran a search, and you seem to be able to request leave or "personal day" time off.

Last edited by bmchris; Sep 17, 2014 at 10:59 am
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I think I'm missing something. Nothing I've seen shows this as being mission critical. Unless there is some jargon that I'm misunderstanding that states that. Naturally, I understand that this may be a secret situation and information can't be shared openly.

Perhaps the OP can look into HR policies to see if there is any leeway there? I ran a search, and you seem to be able to request leave or "personal day" time off.
wow
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:09 am

I think I'm missing something.
Yes.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite

Ability to miss movement is not impossible, but it's as close to "zero chance" as you can get. To anyone from the service, the idea of missing movement is ludicrous, thus the responses you have received.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.