Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals Club Mgmt: Why let T-Mobile Get Away with Murder?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2003, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plt, AS G, MR Ti, IC
I agree with the last. There's a coffeehouse I kinda like already, and after finding out they have free WiFi I spend more $ there than at any Starbucks.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 2:20 am
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by diverdsk:

I find the wi-fi to be of great convenience to me, and even though I don't get reimbursed for using it, it's well worth the $ to me.

If it's not of value to you, then don't spend the money. I'll be glad you're not eating up my bandwidth.
</font>
Well said

I fly AA much more often now JUST because of the T Mob hot spot -

Old Sep 27, 2003, 8:11 pm

Does anybody know of a database of free wifi access points?
Old Sep 27, 2003, 8:58 pm

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B Watson:
Well said

I fly AA much more often now JUST because of the T Mob hot spot -

</font>
I'll reverse your situation: when I was looking to change cellular providers, I went with T-Mobile in large part because of their AArangement.

At $20/month for unlimited HotSpot use with a calling plan, and all the time I spend in ACs (and Starbucks ), all other things being equal, that was the clincher for me.

I'm still not getting why it' should be AA's responsibiltiy to provide free wi-fi or, absent that, regulate the price its vendor sets for the service.

[This message has been edited by SuperSlug (edited 09-27-2003).]
Old Sep 27, 2003, 10:47 pm
csb

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SuperSlug:

I'm still not getting why it' should be AA's responsibiltiy to provide free wi-fi or, absent that, regulate the price its vendor sets for the service.

</font>
I don't think that anyone is suggesting that it's AA's "responsibility" to provide free Wi-Fi access.

I do think that it's been suggested by myself and others that the $30/month business model for Wi-Fi access is quickly becoming obsolete as numerous coffee houses, office buildings and (in my case) entire city blocks have started to give it away as a means of attracting customers.

Given such developments, it is reasonable to speculate that a continued reliance on the T-Mobile model of Wi-Fi access will at the very least prove a non-issue to potential AC customers and may even prove a negative should competing airlines begin to offer free Wi-Fi.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 1:51 pm

Database of HotSpots:

http://www.wifinder.com/

Old Sep 28, 2003, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by csb:
I don't think that anyone is suggesting that it's AA's "responsibility" to provide free Wi-Fi access.</font>
To the contrary, I do think that free Wi-Fi should be a standard amenity along the like of free workstations and free phone lines for laptops (as well as free photocopying). And it's an amenity with insignificant incremental cost, which would pay for itself in a flash just from from the reduced need (and use) of the phone lines provided today.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hillrider:
To the contrary, I do think that free Wi-Fi should be a standard amenity along the like of free workstations and free phone lines for laptops (as well as free photocopying). And it's an amenity with insignificant incremental cost, which would pay for itself in a flash just from from the reduced need (and use) of the phone lines provided today.</font>
I agree. The hotels have realized that wi-fi or at least wried high-speed in-room internet access is now essential to attarct and keep their customers. Courtyard, for one, is giving it away for free where they used to charge at least 10 bucks a day. The sooner the AC realizes that it is just one more stop on a business person's itinerary and that internet access is *essential*, the sooner they will attract more customers for their AC and their airline.

------------------
What do you want to be, American?
Old Sep 28, 2003, 8:13 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hillrider:
To the contrary, I do think that free Wi-Fi should be a standard amenity along the like of free workstations and free phone lines for laptops (as well as free photocopying). And it's an amenity with insignificant incremental cost, which would pay for itself in a flash just from from the reduced need (and use) of the phone lines provided today.</font>
Exactly. Indeed, WiFi could save AA money: If more folks used WiFi, AA could probably get away with cutting some of the old analog phone lines -- reducing what must be a nontrivial recurring cost of some $20-$30 per line per month. Not that I want to give them any ideas, but we all know that's the way this would go. (Hotels with wired and/or WiFi access find they don't need as many telephone trunk lines to accomodate even peak usage, etc.)
Old Oct 3, 2003, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold Medallion, Hyatt - Diamond
All I know is that with T-Mobile I only have to manage one wi-fi profile and one SSID. I don't have to wonder who is providing service and whether or not it will work because T-Mobile is consistent across the board. I hope they add hotels soon so I can have a consistent experience there as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.