Search

JFK-MIA in First -- what to expect?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2003, 9:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2 MM, DL PLT
JFK-MIA in First -- what to expect?

Hey all!

It's been ages since I've flown a domestic flight on AA (except for LGA-ORD on my way to FRA). I decided to book a last minute trip to meet my family in Disney. Yay.

I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon on the 3pm JFK-MIA flight and was able to use my stickers to upgrade. What should or shouldn't I expect? Is a meal served? Advice is welcome.

Does anyone know if the MIA flights still leave out of T8 in JFK?

Thanks a bunch!
Old Aug 22, 2003, 9:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MoonPet:
Hey all!

I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon on the 3pm JFK-MIA flight and was able to use my stickers to upgrade. What should or shouldn't I expect? Is a meal served? Advice is welcome.

Does anyone know if the MIA flights still leave out of T8 in JFK?

Thanks a bunch!
</font>
yes, MIA flights depart from T8. If this is the Airbus (I think it is)---you should not expect much in first.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriot Silver
I fleew MIA-JFK in first a few weeks ago. Not impressive at all.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 8:53 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MoonPet:

Thanks a bunch!
</font>
It looks like only beverage service since the time you are flying does not fall into meal times. The earlier flight would have lunch and the later one would have dinner.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Aug 23, 2003, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Preparing the brown bag lunch as we speak . . .

Thanks for the advice. Should the flight be an amazing surprise (hah!) I will be sure to post it here.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 10:54 am

Even at 3pm, there should be a cold plate snack with cheese and cookie in F class, but no meals... only pretzels and beverage in Y!

Carfield
Old Aug 23, 2003, 10:12 pm

Location: Los Angeles, xTWA Elite 1 and AA PLT, now AA EXP 3MM, Hilton Diamond
Last week I flew JFK-MIA. On the morning flight down it was a 762 with breakfast served. The return flight departed at 7:55pm, it was an AirBUS, drink service only and yes I was in F.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I took the 9:30 AM breakfast snack A300 flight two weeks ago and we got a cereal and fruit breakfast. I passed.

I also took the 5:30 PM A300 MIA-JFK flight and it featured a hot dinner, albeit a one tray affair w/o the sundaes. Choices were filet or rotissiere chicken.
Old Aug 29, 2003, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

I never did get the chance to take the flight. . .

The aircraft (an Airbus) was at the gate well before the boarding time, but apparently was late coming in from Santo Domingo. Our departure time was progressively being pushed later and later. When the new departure time reached 90 minutes past the scheduled time, I called AA because it seemed impossible I would make my connection in MIA.

They changed my ticket without hesitation to the LGA - MCO flight later that evening. Otherwise, I would have been spending the night at MIA. Thank you AA!

The $18 I spent for the cab was well worth it.

FYI, the LGA-MCO 7pm flight featured a dinner in F of either beef filet or chicken. I chose the beef, which came with a very nice salad with white beans, a huge baked potato with the trimmings, and cheesecake.

Same exact meal choices on the return.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 7:24 am

Is there any In Flight Entertainment in F?
Old Sep 7, 2003, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mr. Pickles:
Is there any In Flight Entertainment in F?</font>
Yes, you will get CBS Eye on American. Sometimes they put on the wrong tape and all you get is back-to-back reruns of Raymond for the entire flight...

My meal experiences have been different on JFK-MIA routes.

Flt. 1165 JFK-MIA (762) 9am departure: breakfast in F

Flt. 1262 MIA-JFK (762) 1pm departure: lunch in F

Flt. 988 MIA-JFK (AB6) 9pm departure:
snack in F (pizza)
Old Sep 7, 2003, 8:34 pm
Suspended

I decided to book a last minute trip to meet my family in Disney. Yay.

I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon on the 3pm JFK-MIA flight

</font>
MoonPet-

Disney is much closer to Orlando. When you land in Miami, you will be a long way from Disney. Next time consult a map first.
Old Sep 7, 2003, 9:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dream7:
MoonPet-

Disney is much closer to Orlando. When you land in Miami, you will be a long way from Disney. Next time consult a map first.
</font>
Look at Moonpet's post before Mr. Pickle's !!

Old Sep 7, 2003, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dream7:
MoonPet-

</font>
As mentioned in an earlier post, I was connecting in MIA to a MCO flight. I would have preferred the direct LGA-MCO flight from the start, but as I purchased my ticket about 12 hours before departure, there was a difference of about $800 between LGA-MCO and JFK-MIA-MCO.

I can promise you that like most Flyertalkers I am a well informed traveller and would not make an error like you've mentioned. I am not entirely an idiot, I promise.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 12:22 am

Wow, what luck, getting the flight you wanted and a meal! I wish that happended to me more often.

------------------
No thanks, I'm just lurking. Call me the Lurker!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.