Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American Airlines Miami-To-Paris Flight Diverted To Boston

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by krlcomm
And the post above about people hating articulating seats? Of course they hate them because the seat takes away their legroom and not someone else's!
All the complaints I've read about the articulating seats aren't about the articulation but the lack of padding. The new seats are also thinner, which, to my knowledge, isn't required for articulation, but was done to reduce weight and increase capacity and was probably a large part of how they justified the new seats. If somebody has read complaints about the actual recline function on these seats, please link to them in this thread.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Rus925
All the complaints I've read about the articulating seats aren't about the articulation but the lack of padding. The new seats are also thinner, which, to my knowledge, isn't required for articulation, but was done to reduce weight and increase capacity and was probably a large part of how they justified the new seats. If somebody has read complaints about the actual recline function on these seats, please link to them in this thread.
I find the new 738 seats an improvement over the older seats they used on the Boeing narrowbodies; the old sears were one of the the reasons I often went out of my way to fly a MD-80 rather via DFW rather than a 737 via ORD when doing SFO-X-LGA (the few extra miles, and nicer terminal, both help as well.)
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:53 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
Originally Posted by beachfan
I see a Deep Vein Thrombosis lawsuit in some airlines future.

That would be quite difficult to prove. The plaintiff (passenger) would have to prove that: a) the airline provided no warning with respect to DVT (which they all do in their magazines), b) the airline deliberately prevented them from having enough space to do the recommended preventative movements (very difficult as they require little physical space to do); and c) the plaintiff did not have a medical condition that increased their risk of a DVT (even a slightly increased risk). Plaintiff would also have to prove that the airline provided no warning, that the flight actually gave them the DVT (which is enormously unlikely) and find a jury to believe the virtual army of expert witnesses pro and con. Likely, it would be an out of court settlement to get rid of the annoyance lawsuit.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by pharmalady
That would be quite difficult to prove. The plaintiff (passenger) would have to prove that: a) the airline provided no warning with respect to DVT (which they all do in their magazines), b) the airline deliberately prevented them from having enough space to do the recommended preventative movements (very difficult as they require little physical space to do); and c) the plaintiff did not have a medical condition that increased their risk of a DVT (even a slightly increased risk). P
Your arguments could apply equally well to (and were used by) cigarette companies; look where that got them. Yes, it's difficult to prove less legroom caused DVT in an individual, but fairly easy for a statistician to demonstrate a causal relationship among millions of flyers if there is one. In which case the airlines could end up facing a massive (and well-justified) class-action lawsuit.

N.B.: not saying there IS a causal relationship, simply that if it's there, it will be found.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Originally Posted by rjw242
Your arguments could apply equally well to (and were used by) cigarette companies; look where that got them. Yes, it's difficult to prove less legroom caused DVT in an individual, but fairly easy for a statistician to demonstrate a causal relationship among millions of flyers if there is one. In which case the airlines could end up facing a massive (and well-justified) class-action lawsuit.

N.B.: not saying there IS a causal relationship, simply that if it's there, it will be found.
Yep, and found most likely by unhappy statisticians sitting in coach
Old Sep 1, 2014, 12:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I've removed some posts related to a un unwelcoming, snarky personal exchange.

Please remember to avoid personal exchanges and be welcoming in demenour. Irrespective of your post count (high or low), you're expected to follow all of the rules.

This thread is very close to being closed as it doesn't seem to be able to stay on topic. Please consider this when crafting your responses.

~Moderator
Old Sep 1, 2014, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by bodapaty
Exactly! Any pax traveling by air should by now know what he is paying for. Period. You want more leg room, buy a business or first class ticket. If not, just shut up and put up with what you purchased - limited leg room.
Or if you don't want the person in front of you reclining into your lap just purchase an E+ or Business seat and shut up
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
If you are too cheap to cough up the extra $$$ for Y plus or J, it is your own fault if you have to suffer in tight Y. 8 out of 10 Y consumers will pick the cheapest ticket no matter what they get for it. Airlines would be stupid to offer more space without any chance to make more money.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Microwave
This thread is very close to being closed as it doesn't seem to be able to stay on topic.
We made it. I think this thread has run its course. If someone has something new to add, please contact moderators and we will consider reopening the thread.

~Moderator
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:24 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
A passenger who forced a plane to divert after becoming furious with a woman in front of him who had reclined her seat has been fined more than $7,000.
Edmond Alexandre, 61, became irate after a woman reclined the seat in front of him on the Miami-to-Paris flight in August last year.
A U.S. District Court in Boston heard how the man began to argue with the woman and other passengers, before chasing a flight attendant down the aisle where he 'grabbed his arm'.
The federal judge decided to impose a a $1,000 (£675) fine and restitution of $6,303 (£4,300) to American Airlines.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/tr...#ixzz3W06qlPnR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.