noshowing first leg of award ticket on partner

Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
noshowing first leg of award ticket on partner

So, say you have a strange multi city reward ticket, like per-syd (qf) and then hkg-lax (cx) the next day.

If I'm reading the rules correctly, they won't let you drop per-syd because it will change the country of origin. What would happen if you just skipped it and showed up in HKG. Since the flights aren't on the same carrier would they even know you didn't show up?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You can't have an open-jaw on an AAdvantage award. You have two separate awards: PER-SYD, and HKG-LAX.

If both awards are on a single PNR, just call AA and cancel the first award, or change it to a later date. You can cancel with no charge; you only have to pay if you want the AAdvantage miles associated with the first award to be reinstated to your account.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM
If you cancel with "no charge" does that basically mean they just drop the segment? Is the ticket re-issued and taxes re-calculated - or is it basically like everything stays the same and you just won't be on that flight.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by AZbba
If you cancel with "no charge" does that basically mean they just drop the segment? Is the ticket re-issued and taxes re-calculated - or is it basically like everything stays the same and you just won't be on that flight.
Not sure; give AA a call and ask. Are you sure you have just one ticket and not two?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
OP, I am a bit puzzled as to what you are trying to achieve? AA awards would price such an itinerary as two awards. PER-SYD and HKG-LAX. If you cancel the first part, you would be refunded the miles for that portion of the ticket.
If your goal is to avoid paying $150 for canceling PER-SYD, I would submit that the miles you'd get back are worth more than the fee.
Did I misunderstand?

Last edited by DeltaFlyingProf; Mar 31, 2015 at 2:52 pm
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you cancel the PER-SYD, you would get the taxes for PER-SYD refunded. There is no cost to cancel

I would think that paying $150 to get the 10k (economy) or 17.5k (business) recredited to the Aadvantage account
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:56 pm

What would happen if you just skipped it and showed up in HKG. Since the flights aren't on the same carrier would they even know you didn't show up?
You should read that thread from the poor guy with the Maldives trip gone bad a couple months ago. Needless to say, showing up midway through his itinerary didn't work out so well.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Any chance OP has an old explorer award? (like he maldives guy?)
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:30 pm
Suspended

So, say you have a strange multi city reward ticket, like per-syd (qf) and then hkg-lax (cx) the next day.

If I'm reading the rules correctly, they won't let you drop per-syd because it will change the country of origin. What would happen if you just skipped it and showed up in HKG. Since the flights aren't on the same carrier would they even know you didn't show up?
You'd really have to drop the "strange multi city reward ticket" curtain/drama to get a good answer here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.