Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA242 ORD - DUS - Not Available After 10/24

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:21 pm
SK

Lightbulb VIE-JTR

I assume you are referring to the 11:25am flight from VIE to JTR, and the need to arrive to VIE by oneworld that same morning.
The BA flight from LHR arrives to VIE at 10:25, for a one hour connection. That's quite OK in the rather small VIE airport, even if the incoming flight is 20-30 minutes late, but it is probably on the tight side overall.
The AirBerlin flight from Berlin TXL arrives at 10:05, making for a 1:20 connection.
Otherwise, an overnight in VIE could be pretty fun (and not too expensive), but it would indeed add to the overall cost of the trip.

Originally Posted by idainc
Going over, in todays availability, the connections are too tight for our comfort and we'd decline them all. I'd consider arriving Athens and I'll deal with the land portion. VIE - JTR has one flight that day and there really isn't a way to make it better short of overnighting at our expense or real short connections.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT
As SK points out the connections are short but reasonable, and keep in mind EC 261/2004: if you do wind up missing your connections and are stuck overnighting in VIE, you'll likely have €600 per person and a free hotel room coming your way. If you'd rather have a hassle-free trip, then certainly explore alternatives, but I'd take the risk knowing that if anything goes wrong the airline will be paying for the ouza on the rest of the trip.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:10 am

Update -

Called AA and as this is so new they are only offering award space vs. paid inventory. I'll wait a couple of days and try again but this is not looking good for us as even paid inventory poses compromises we cant accept. More to follow.

They do not have a re-accommodation plan in place as of noon EST on 8/7. Funny but the iPhone app advised me to call and the pc web site has no mention of anything amiss.

Last edited by idainc; Aug 7, 2014 at 10:24 am
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:53 am

Update -

Called AA and as this is so new they are only offering award space vs. paid inventory. I'll wait a couple of days and try again but this is not looking good for us as even paid inventory poses compromises we cant accept. More to follow.

They do not have a re-accommodation plan in place as of noon EST on 8/7. Funny but the iPhone app advised me to call and the pc web site has no mention of anything amiss.
Take a deep breath. Once this has been removed from the schedule (probably over the weekend), and they have a reaccomodation plan developed, there will be more help forthcoming.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
The phone agent I am working with right now is able to change my flight to LAX-LHR-DUS. She does have the power to make the switch, and give me confirmed reservations.

She had to do some research as the phone agents were not informed of the schedule change. It's real.
Just spent over an hour on phone with 2 different EXP desk agents trying to re book DUS-ORD #241 in early December with zero success. Neither agent was aware of the "suspension".The first agent checked with "the tower" who assured her #241 would operate on our date. She then promptly hung up...thankfully.
Agent 2 was also unaware of the suspension. But she agreed that she could not sell me a ticket DUS-ORD #241 for anytime in December as all flights are zeroed out. But without a memo confirming the suspension she could not rebook us. Suggested that I await an email.
Yeah right like that will happen.

I will report back if/when I get an email from AA but will continue to call hoping for that one in a million agent who can help me.
AA please bring back Tuscon EXP agents!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by pssteve
But she agreed that she could not sell me a ticket DUS-ORD #241 for anytime in December as all flights are zeroed out. But without a memo confirming the suspension she could not rebook us. Suggested that I await an email.
Yeah right like that will happen.
I am curious if anyone has been successful in getting rebooked. I've got two trips booked on both AA241 and 242, and though I finally got an agent to read their own web site and admit the flights were cancelled, nobody is willing to rebook yet. I know I should be patient, but, both itineraries tie in with other travel plans so it is frustrating.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by esterman
I am curious if anyone has been successful in getting rebooked. I've got two trips booked on both AA241 and 242, and though I finally got an agent to read their own web site and admit the flights were cancelled, nobody is willing to rebook yet. I know I should be patient, but, both itineraries tie in with other travel plans so it is frustrating.
Read a few posts up, QueenOfCoach was able to do exactly this.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by esterman
I was rebooked. Confirmed, ticketed, ticket number, assigned seat, everything in order.

It took two tries with two different phone agents. The first time I called, I only had the Yahoo Finance press release, and the first phone agent suggested that maybe Yahoo Finance was in error, as she saw nothing in her system. When I called the second time, I quoted AA's own press release on their own website:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...inter-schedule

On the main AA.com website, scroll down to Newsroom under "More About American". Then look for "American Airlines Adjusts International Winter Schedule" press release dated 7/31/2014.

Once she saw her own company's press release, the second phone agent left me on hold for a good long time (no biggie) and then came back and rescheduled me. I started with LAX-ORD-DUS-ORD-LAX and ended up with LAX-LHR-DUS-LHR-LAX.

The super-helpful second phone agent told me she would try to get the word around as there has been no announcement to them of the service suspensions. She was a doll and really earned my loyalty and gratitude.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by pssteve
Just spent over an hour on phone with 2 different EXP desk agents trying to re book DUS-ORD #241 in early December with zero success. Neither agent was aware of the "suspension".
My super-helpful "Gold" agent rebooked me once she saw the press release on AA.com. Details in a prior message.

Oh, and I'm now on a 77W.

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Aug 7, 2014 at 4:01 pm
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:03 pm

Finally: Anyone booked on the "suspended" ORD-DUS-ORD flight should call now and get rebooked. Quote the AA.com press release if necessary.

Figure out in advance what rebooking you would find most convenient, then call and be persistent. I already knew what my best alternative was, since it's the same flights I've taken to DUS for the past 20 years.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 5:22 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Update -

Called AA and as this is so new they are only offering award space vs. paid inventory.
What does this mean?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 1K-SFO
This thread was really helpful for me -- sadly, simply as reminder that there is (was) service to DUS. I'm booking a return flight out of MUC and was trying to figure out the best connection with upgrade space... turns out DUS-ORD has tons of C available (hence its shortened flying season...) and just snagged MUC-DUS (AB) DUS-ORD-SFO (AA) for early October. I'd been preparing myself to sit out a waitlist on LHR-US -- this is much better.
Yes, I have connected through DUS from MUC to DFW (with an extra connection compared to LHR) simply for the chance of upgrade. Got the SWU upgrades a few days before the flight. I remember this as a great flight - excellent lunch and service.

I will probably miss the DUS flights this winter - sitting in coach from LHR
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by JPG3392
What does this mean?
Essentially as of today, they will only rebook into available award space and not current revenue seats to accommodate people. This should change once they adopt a policy ? about accommodating.

The agent misunderstood that we were actually going to Santorini and offered us PHX-LAX-DFW-LHR-MAD-DUS.

While I'm posting - Does anyone have any idea as to what the DOT requires them to do ?
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Essentially as of today, they will only rebook into available award space and not current revenue seats to accommodate people. This should change once they adopt a policy ? about accommodating.
I don't ever recall them offering other than existing award space on alternate routes, this far out (as opposed to if a route cancellation unexpectedly happens on a few days notice, carrier folds, etc.)
And that's all one can bank on (looking for alternate award space-- *possibly* with RM requests for more in some cases) in this instance.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by linglingfool
This may be a one-off seasonal adjustment to accelerate the CIP program..
Absolutely not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.