AA242 ORD - DUS - Not Available After 10/24

Old Aug 5, 14, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
AA242 ORD - DUS - Not Available After 10/24

Hi - I was going to book a flight for late November/early December roundtrip ORD to DUS (Dusseldorf). I had checked into it last week, saw the non-stop and the seat maps but I couldn't book then since I needed to validate the dates with other travelers.

So today I go to book and the flight is no longer there. I check online to see if AA has stopped service to DUS or if it has gone seasonal - nothing. I called the EXP desk and a nice agent spent 30 minutes or so trying to figure it out but after he made numerous calls, he came up empty handed. The agent can see the flight but all of the fare buckets are zeroed out - so no availability.

So, I am reaching out to this community - does anyone know what is up with this flight? If it's gone, I can do a connection to fly to FRA but really preferred going non-stop to DUS.

Thanks in advance (and if I find out anything, I will report back).
Old Aug 5, 14, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Suspended for the winter.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...190000048.html
Old Aug 5, 14, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

From the thread about long-haul schedule changes in the AAdvantage (Consolidated) forum:

"ORD-Dusseldorf suspended between October 25th and March 29th (Dusseldorf will not be served during winter)"

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 5, 14 at 5:10 pm Reason: add thread link to thread description
Old Aug 5, 14, 6:09 pm

A heads up for those holding award seats - AA so far has not made an effort to rebook / re-accommodate.
Old Aug 5, 14, 6:47 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by idainc View Post
A heads up for those holding award seats - AA so far has not made an effort to rebook / re-accommodate.
Did you call in/be proactive and get a good resolution?
Old Aug 5, 14, 7:00 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by ChiFlyer View Post
Hi - I was going to book a flight for late November/early December roundtrip ORD to DUS (Dusseldorf). I had checked into it last week, saw the non-stop and the seat maps but I couldn't book then since I needed to validate the dates with other travelers.

So today I go to book and the flight is no longer there. I check online to see if AA has stopped service to DUS or if it has gone seasonal - nothing. I called the EXP desk and a nice agent spent 30 minutes or so trying to figure it out but after he made numerous calls, he came up empty handed. The agent can see the flight but all of the fare buckets are zeroed out - so no availability.

So, I am reaching out to this community - does anyone know what is up with this flight? If it's gone, I can do a connection to fly to FRA but really preferred going non-stop to DUS.

Thanks in advance (and if I find out anything, I will report back).
AB flies ORD-TXL (Berlin) with connections to DUS and other German airports. AB also flies to DUS from JFK and a few other USA gateways. Perhaps these flights may be of interest.
Old Aug 5, 14, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by JPG3392 View Post
AB flies ORD-TXL (Berlin) with connections to DUS and other German airports. AB also flies to DUS from JFK and a few other USA gateways. Perhaps these flights may be of interest.
We're on our way to Santorini so at that time of year we have to go through VIE. Zero is coming up on line. I just noticed this post and will get to them on Saturday. Complicating it is a return from ATH which was hard to get which is on another PNR form another account which will be reinstated as well if need be. For free since we cant use the itinerary if they cant get us there.

A long planned anniversary trip.
Old Aug 5, 14, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Thanks for the quick help! Now I can see this happened in the last week - so I wasn't going crazy (seeing it last week and not this week).
Old Aug 5, 14, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Did you call in/be proactive and get a good resolution?
I've got a couple of award tickets on this flight. I've tried calling in a few times and the agents talk to me like I'm crazy - they've no record of this flight being suspended. Twitter team offered a refund but couldn't help rebook. Any other suggestions? At this point though I'd like to be proactive, I kind of feel like I have to wait and see what they book me, and go from there. Frustrating.
Old Aug 5, 14, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by esterman View Post
I've got a couple of award tickets on this flight. I've tried calling in a few times and the agents talk to me like I'm crazy - they've no record of this flight being suspended. Twitter team offered a refund but couldn't help rebook. Any other suggestions? At this point though I'd like to be proactive, I kind of feel like I have to wait and see what they book me, and go from there. Frustrating.
I'd wait until the flight is cancelled/out of the system, but try to be among the first to call and request alternate flight(s)...
Old Aug 6, 14, 9:07 am

I'd wait until the flight is cancelled/out of the system, but try to be among the first to call and request alternate flight(s)...
On my date of travel there are zero free seats and the issue I suspect is Niki or AB although there is no space on US flights either Never been through this before. I'm going to presume AA has to request that seats be opened up ?

Likelihood of that happening ?
Old Aug 6, 14, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by idainc View Post
On my date of travel there are zero free seats and the issue I suspect is Niki or AB although there is no space on US flights either Never been through this before. I'm going to presume AA has to request that seats be opened up ?

Likelihood of that happening ?
Depends. They might try but AB might also say no. Hypothesis: they will suggest XXX-LHR-VIE. You may wish to have an alternate itinerary(ies) to propose if you don't like what they offer.
Old Aug 6, 14, 9:33 am

Depends. They might try but AB might also say no. Hypothesis: they will suggest XXX-LHR-VIE. You may wish to have an alternate itinerary(ies) to propose if you don't like what they offer.
Somehow I'm thinking this lowly lifetime gold isn't going to get them to open up two seats on two US flights and an AB flight. And if it involves BA I'm certain they wont cover the wild "taxes". And I don't want to incur an overnight along the way either.

I might prefer just walking away from it and getting them all re-deposited except the return is on another PNR that is dependent on the AA 242 itin. happening so although seemingly unaffected it would essentially be in vain.

Last edited by idainc; Aug 6, 14 at 9:39 am
Old Aug 6, 14, 9:41 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but Plat for a year (yippie)
I am booked on two flight (ORD-DUS-ORD) in November and "My Trips" appears to be fine. I looked at the seat map and there are plenty of available seats. [Later: It was not fine and I ended up getting rebooked.]

I'm on the phone with them right now. The res agent sees nothing wrong with my ticket. As far as she can see, ORD-DUS is still operating in November.

I did, however, find the official AA news release:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...inter-schedule

Called back: I referred the (new) res agent to their own press release. She told me I'm the FIRST to call in with this question. (???)

I am on hold, now, as she researches further.

Yep, it's true. I got switched to LAX-LHR-DUS, originally LAX-ORD-DUS.

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Aug 7, 14 at 3:57 pm
Old Aug 6, 14, 10:04 am

What do they say when you refer them to their own announcement:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=5807

edit to answer my own facetious(sorry) question: Phone agents are probably powerless to do anything until the computer actually shows the seasonal adjustments...

Last edited by alien; Aug 6, 14 at 10:09 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: