Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Irritated with baggage fees

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Long layover checked baggage questions

I am taking a flight to go to GGT on Sunday. Because of the flight times to get there in the morning, I have a layover in Miami until the next morning. AA has informed me that I will pay to check my bag from my departure city, I will be required to pick up my bag (fine) and then pay to re-check it in Miami (not fine) to conclude my flight. It's one ticket, same PNR, just with a long layover. This just seems like serious bullcrap to me. So now, my 25 dollar bag fee just jumped to 50 because of a layover and an AA rule? It doesn't seem right. Is it just how it is and I need to suck it up? I'm not an AA flyer, so I'm not used to them.

ps- I didn't search if this was a common occurance...I am too mad... please help me!

Last edited by blueskadoo; Jul 25, 2014 at 2:17 pm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
You can probably send a note to customer service and have the second fee refunded after the fact. It's a reasonable request, as long as the booking is a last-in first-out (i.e. you are taking the first flight to GGT after your arrival in MIA).
Old Jul 25, 2014, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That is just how it is; standard for baggage fees

The bag fees will be calculated to the point where you collect the bags. Next time you check in you will be charged the fees for that next journey section
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

It is the last flight in and first flight out. I think it's quite ridiculous and gouging. Greedy. It's unfortunate that they are the only choice for this destination given the airports that surround me. Truly frustrating and just utter nickel and dime-ing.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by blueskadoo
It is the last flight in and first flight out. I think it's quite ridiculous and gouging. Greedy. It's unfortunate that they are the only choice for this destination given the airports that surround me. Truly frustrating and just utter nickel and dime-ing.
Are you even given the option to check them though? (no collection in MIA?)
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:00 pm

Kinda smells like BS to me too. I haven't had an over night layover but AA had no problems checking my bag through last summer when I had a 9 hour one in ORD so I could do some site seeing in the city. I'd ask the agent to check the bag through when you drop it off. At worst you know what'll happen and maybe they'll be able to.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Are you even given the option to check them though? (no collection in MIA?)
I've been told due to the length of the layover (13 hrs), I must collect them. That it will be tagged to MIA, and I must pick them up and re-check them.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
I've been told due to the length of the layover (13 hrs), I must collect them. That it will be tagged to MIA, and I must pick them up and re-check them.
Well, I'd certainly ask for them to be checked straight though at the first AP. (And have a change of clothes in a small carryon.) I'd be surprised if you were denied, but it would not be the first time!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I am taking a flight to go to GGT on Sunday. Because of the flight times to get there in the morning, I have a layover in Miami until the next morning. AA has informed me that I will pay to check my bag from my departure city, I will be required to pick up my bag (fine) and then pay to re-check it in Miami (not fine) to conclude my flight. It's one ticket, same PNR, just with a long layover. This just seems like serious bullcrap to me. So now, my 25 dollar bag fee just jumped to 50 because of a layover and an AA rule? It doesn't seem right. Is it just how it is and I need to suck it up? I'm not an AA flyer, so I'm not used to them.

ps- I didn't search if this was a common occurance...I am too mad... please help me!
I haven't had this experience on AA but I flew Qantas last year and had to pick up my bag in Sydney as I was departing the next day on to Manila and they said the layover was too long for them to store the bag at the airport, so had to be picked up (still under 24 hours, so a connection and not a layover). However, the following day when I showed up, I just re-checked it and no extra fees were collected. I did have AA Platinum status at the time, so there shouldn't have been anyway but my point is you pay any applicable fees at the beginning of your journey and not at every point you have to re-check your bag for whatever reason. Ultimately, your baggage allowance and fees should be listed on your e-ticket, so look at that and if you see that checking a bag to GGT should only cost you $25, AA should not be able to collect anything beyond that. Good Luck!
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No such thing as a layover and that's what is causing confusion. OP does not have a connection, he has a stopover and I suspect that if he looks at his ticket, he will see that it is priced as that. Can't be certain without the exact routing and fare details, but I'd bet that the ticket price itself is a good deal more than the extra $25 because of the stopover.

Indeed on a stopover, the bag fees are payable on each of the two segments and I suspect that is what OP's e-ticket receipt shows and it is what the AA agent will see at check-in in MIA.

It can't hurt to send in a webform after the ticket is complete. But, don't expect to see a refund.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Can you guys tell me what I would look for on my e-ticket that would help me determine if it's a stopover, a connection or a layover?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. There is no such thing as a layover.
2. A domestic connection cannot exceed 4 hours. Your is longer than 4 hours, so it is a stopover.
3. If you look at the e-ticket receipt, in the long string of letters and numbers which will include your origin, MIA and destination, there will be a base fare. If you are on a connection, it will be one base fare. If it is a stopover, there will almost certainly be two base fares, one for AAA-MIA and the other for MIA-BBB. This is not written in stone, but is likely.

The best you are going to do here is to ask AA to check your bags to your final destination when you check-in. The agent should not do so, but it happens and, if he does, you save $25.

Alternatively, AA's carry-on allowance is pretty generous.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
1. There is no such thing as a layover.
2. A domestic connection cannot exceed 4 hours. Your is longer than 4 hours, so it is a stopover.
3. If you look at the e-ticket receipt, in the long string of letters and numbers which will include your origin, MIA and destination, there will be a base fare. If you are on a connection, it will be one base fare. If it is a stopover, there will almost certainly be two base fares, one for AAA-MIA and the other for MIA-BBB. This is not written in stone, but is likely.

The best you are going to do here is to ask AA to check your bags to your final destination when you check-in. The agent should not do so, but it happens and, if he does, you save $25.

Alternatively, AA's carry-on allowance is pretty generous.

#2 is absolutely untrue. AA has a last-in first-out rule that would very likely allow this routing as a connection.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:31 pm

Aha! Easy example.

OP- if you want to PM me I can help you take a look and determine your fare construction.

Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Can you guys tell me what I would look for on my e-ticket that would help me determine if it's a stopover, a connection or a layover?
We could, but it has no bearing on checked baggage rules. For overnight connections in the US, AA's checked bag rule is that you must reclaim and recheck if the connection is more than 12 hours. That may also apply for same-day connections that exceed 12 hours, but I'm not sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.