FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Irritated with baggage fees
View Single Post
Old Jul 25, 2014, 6:18 pm
Phoenixtinct

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by blueskadoo
I am taking a flight to go to GGT on Sunday. Because of the flight times to get there in the morning, I have a layover in Miami until the next morning. AA has informed me that I will pay to check my bag from my departure city, I will be required to pick up my bag (fine) and then pay to re-check it in Miami (not fine) to conclude my flight. It's one ticket, same PNR, just with a long layover. This just seems like serious bullcrap to me. So now, my 25 dollar bag fee just jumped to 50 because of a layover and an AA rule? It doesn't seem right. Is it just how it is and I need to suck it up? I'm not an AA flyer, so I'm not used to them.

ps- I didn't search if this was a common occurance...I am too mad... please help me!
I haven't had this experience on AA but I flew Qantas last year and had to pick up my bag in Sydney as I was departing the next day on to Manila and they said the layover was too long for them to store the bag at the airport, so had to be picked up (still under 24 hours, so a connection and not a layover). However, the following day when I showed up, I just re-checked it and no extra fees were collected. I did have AA Platinum status at the time, so there shouldn't have been anyway but my point is you pay any applicable fees at the beginning of your journey and not at every point you have to re-check your bag for whatever reason. Ultimately, your baggage allowance and fees should be listed on your e-ticket, so look at that and if you see that checking a bag to GGT should only cost you $25, AA should not be able to collect anything beyond that. Good Luck!