Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Domestic Baggage Weight Allowance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2002, 11:25 pm

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JIMCHI:
I have verified with a friend at AA that the change is indeed effective December 15th, apparently only for tickets issued after that date.

</font>
Indeed. Only got hit for excess under the old rules today. In fact, the ticket agent hadn't even heard of the new policy.

One thing to consider that I haven't seen mentioned here (but was mentioned to me by an AA employee as a possible reason for the change): Wheels on suitcases, which are now the norm, mean people pack heavier bags nowadays. More heavy bags mean more injuries to ticket agents/ramp workers. More injuries to employees mean increased health care costs/workers' comp claims.

Either AA finds a way to offset the costs of theses claims, or it finds a way to make people pack lighter bags. This does both.

Sounded reasonable enough to me. Not necessarily plausible, mind you, but reasonable.

[This message has been edited by SuperSlug (edited 12-03-2002).]
Old Dec 3, 2002, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by onedog:
Usually when the family travels we try and pack one bag each that weighs around 70 pounds since it is easier to keep track of fewer (but a bit heavier) bags.</font>
It's not easier for the ramp worker or the equipment to have 1 big 70lb bag. Given the choice, I'd rather hoist 3 bags of ~23lb each than 1 big bag of 70lb on to the conveyer belt.

In some conversations with airport agents about lost baggage, it seems that the ultra-large bags and the ultra-small are the most prone to be lost (other than misconnects). The ultra-big's because they clog up equipment and the tiny ones cause they can fall off somewhere and not be noticed.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 5:37 am

so the general thought is that this will start for tickets purchased after 12/15?
Old Dec 4, 2002, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Here is the response I received from AA Customer Relations today. NOTE: the change applies to tickets purchased today or later for travel on or after Dec 15th.
-------
"I can appreciate your inquiry regarding the recent change to our free baggage
allowance effective December 15 and regret that you are disappointed. This change
helps us to offset the cost of checked luggage. In addition, the reduction in checked
bags allows more accomplished efficiency with regard to security procedures, reducing
our exposure to related flight delays. I have forwarded e-mail to our Manager at
Airport Services for internal review.

To recap the specifics of our modified free baggage allowance, for tickets issued on
or after December 4 for domestic travel (wholly within the 50 United States) beginning
on or after December 15, each ticketed passenger is allowed free of charge 2 checked
bags up to 50 lbs each. For bags over the weight limit we will collect $25 for each
bag over 50 - 70 lbs and $50 for each bag over 70 - 100 lbs.

Thank you for contacting us regarding this matter. We hope to have your continued
patronage."
Old Dec 4, 2002, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Today I was out shopping for luggage. The folks in the luggage store appeared to know nothing about the new size and weight limits. They were more that willing to sell me a 32in. Swiss Army brand bag. I am always looking for the perfect bag. Didn't find one today.
Old Dec 4, 2002, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I would travel with more luggage than the proposed new limit once in a blue moon - so why make the change? To really piss me off at that one time?? What's the motivator?
Old Dec 4, 2002, 4:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Altaflyer:
I would travel with more luggage than the proposed new limit once in a blue moon - so why make the change? To really piss me off at that one time?? What's the motivator?</font>
Remember it is "us" vs "the annoying traveling public," so by enacting this, AA can get points in their column. Having passengers pissed off is just a bonus!
Old Dec 4, 2002, 7:03 pm

Location: "Did you ever see Dallas from an MD-80 at night?" just doesn't have the same ring to it...
Yeah, that's it. AA did this just to piss you off.

I have it on good authority that Don Carty, Dan Garton and friends sat around the conference room one day and said, "Okay, now we have to figure out a good way to piss off our passengers." Congratulations. You've figured them out!

Forgive me, but I think you have a bit too high a perception of your place in AA's universe.

Motivations? Try these:

Increasing revenue

Decreasing employee insurance claims

Decreasing work days lost due to injury

Did I mention increasing revenue?

Even with all those motivations, I still think you're right. The real reason they did it is just to piss off their passengers.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 1:08 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Altaflyer:
I would travel with more luggage than the proposed new limit once in a blue moon</font>
you might indeed, but every time I go to checkin there are always a few parties trying to bring containerloads of luggage along...
charge them the sun moon and stars I say.

Old Dec 5, 2002, 7:39 pm

Location: Valley Springs, Ca USA;Proud Retired AAer SJC Ramp/ AA- 2 MM Platinum;Hilton Diamond
I am not sure why they are doing this. I lift 70 lb bags all day long. As long as you are careful, they are handled as easily as a 20 lb. bag. No one on the ramp complains about the heavy bags; it is part of the job.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 10:34 pm

So, to clarify. Since I am already booked for January then my baggage allowance is for 70# per bag. but someone on the same flight that buys their ticket tomorrow will be penalized for 70# on the same flight?

I guess to be safe, I had better pack my Oyster lightly. (On one flight back from a book show, It registered 115# before I repacked it. Talk about bricks, books work just as well!)

I do not want to have to try and argue with an agent that I get an exemption from the "current" policy when I try to check in.

OY!
Old Dec 5, 2002, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SuperSlug:
Even with all those motivations, I still think you're right. The real reason they did it is just to piss off their passengers. </font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FoothillFlyer:
I am not sure why they are doing this. I lift 70 lb bags all day long. As long as you are careful, they are handled as easily as a 20 lb. bag. No one on the ramp complains about the heavy bags; it is part of the job.</font>
I don't think AA is doing this to piss off the passengers - just that someone (maybe a whole group of them) at HQ has decided that a multi-million dollar daily cash burn (negative cash flow) can be solved by nickel and diming the passengers.

And for over 20 years I thought AA was a lot smarter than this.

[This message has been edited by FWAAA (edited 12-05-2002).]
Old Dec 6, 2002, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
I don't think AA is doing this to piss off the passengers - just that someone (maybe a whole group of them) at HQ has decided that a multi-million dollar daily cash burn (negative cash flow) can be solved by nickel and diming the passengers.

And for over 20 years I thought AA was a lot smarter than this.

[This message has been edited by FWAAA (edited 12-05-2002).]
</font>
Perhaps they are just trying to slowly bring their luggage limits towards those typically outside of the US. 2x50lb is still a hell of a lot more than the typical non US luggage allowance of 20Kg (44lb) total ( 30kg/40Kg for business/first) as well then increasing excess baggage cost based on per kilo over.

Dave
Old Jan 25, 2003, 7:30 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Bump. Just want to make sure everyone is aware of this policy. What a pain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.